iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You know you are spending too much time milling when----

Started by Greg Brown, February 15, 2012, 08:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawmill Man

Quote from: Magicman on February 16, 2012, 01:40:16 PM
No you are not alone, Sawmill Man, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  No way are you getting off that light.  How about an introduction and sharing your sawing interests.   :)

Hello Magicman and everyone i have been custom sawing for 25 years now in north La. So you could imagine all of these replies hit close to home.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

pineywoods

Quote from: Sawmill Man on February 16, 2012, 12:35:06 PM
so im really not all alone after all

sawmillman, you have more company than you ever dreamed. There's sawmills all around you, a few locals on the forum. There's 7 with a marion address, 2 in ouachita city, one in crossroads, Farmervlle, and Bernice. Myself and LeroyC are the only ones on the forum. Come visit.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sawmill Man

I knew there were other mills around. I was referring to all the experiences we seem to go through. I will take you up on that visit sometime pineywoods.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

WDH

When you discover a previously unknown-to-science species of fungus that feeds off of sawdust in the cab of your pickup truck.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

HEY YOU!  Stay outta my pickup!Last time I left the door open this happened. It could happen to you, even in GA. :D  PC

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 18, 2012, 08:47:53 PM
When you discover a previously unknown-to-science species of fungus that feeds off of sawdust in the cab of your pickup truck.

If you ever find out what feeds of sawdust in your truck, let me know! That sucker could get FAT in my truck. :) :) :) :) :) :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

Have to clean out your truck from all your tools so you can haul off the trash.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

saltydog

True story.Your wife calls you at work(felling logs) to tell you shes going into labor(first child) You rush home pick her up .hospital is 100 miles from home.Halfway to hospital you ask her how she feels. and make a 30 mile detour to get paid for some pallet stock you sold then back to drive the other 50 miles to hospital.You all know how hard it is to stop at another mill and not b.s. Made it  everything worked out but man i sure hear about that one so does everyone else.Oh to be young and foolish again.Maybe thats why my son likes wood so much? :)I wonder how many people get to deliver their first born with sawdust in their pockets? the guys at the mill thought i was nuts.Looking back it was pretty foolish. :)
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looking back, I'm surprised your still married.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

saltydog

Shes a good one.I shouldnt  tell about the time i had her driving the skidder pushing the stuck log truck.(we were behind it)She was 8mnths pregnant.when we were done she says im glad all the bouncing around didnt make me go into labor.How was i to know that could happen?Oh the memories.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Misfit

When you don't even have your dang mill yet.....but you're still looking at every tree imagining making lumber out of it.  8)
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

jueston

Quote from: The Canuck on February 20, 2012, 06:18:52 PM
When you don't even have your dang mill yet.....but you're still looking at every tree imagining making lumber out of it.  8)
:)

Ludo

Two more....

-Went to a funeral on Saturday for a close friend who left way too early, counted seven different species of wood in the church, two were cut both plain and quarter....   

-Went the Museum of Natural History in New York City today.  They have a GIANT dug out canoe from the pacific northwest made out of Doug Fir in the 1880's, only one known to survive this big (63'), all I could think of is re-saw....

wood monger

I do alot of these things, but I'm always estimating how many cords of firewood I could get out of this or that tree. I usually have sawdust in my pockets.

Migal

Quote from: wood monger on February 20, 2012, 07:56:19 PM
I do alot of these things, but I'm always estimating how many cords of firewood I could get out of this or that tree. I usually have sawdust in my pockets.
:D well if i screw up I'm sure a wood burner can use it LOL  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

plowboyswr

When you see the saw marks on some crating material and think someone need to check the set on their bands. ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

customsawyer

I got this idea from Terrifictimbers.
You know you are spending to much time milling when your wife holds your arms away from the controls.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 19, 2012, 08:41:50 AM
Looking back, I'm surprised your still married.  :D :D :D

First official "date" that I took Lil on, we stopped to look at a portable sawmill for sale.  :D

At least she knew what she was getting herself into.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Jake,

Looks like she is trying to keep you from planking on the drag-back table  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dragline

Bumping this topic... some great funny stuff from 10 years ago  :D
Tim
Woodland mills HM122,  Husqvarna 545 Mark2, Powerking stump grinder,  MF135 tractor,  HF trencher

trimguy

RAYAR

Quote from: Dragline on May 18, 2022, 08:08:05 PM
Bumping this topic... some great funny stuff from 10 years ago  :D
Quote from: trimguy on May 18, 2022, 09:42:33 PM
Thanks, I just enjoyed all 5 pages.

I just did too.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

SawyerTed

...when you've been sawing portable jobs steady for two weeks and getting home late.  Then one day you get home early, sit down at the dinner table with the family and your wife says, "Who are you?"
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

rusticretreater

your kid says he needs toothpicks to do a school project and you take him out to the culled log pile.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

JoshNZ

Do you all keep a toothpick on your night stand for your phone's charger port too, or is that just me xD.

Thank You Sponsors!