iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You want me to go WHERE?

Started by Nomad, September 07, 2015, 07:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

I've been asked to go as far as New Jersey before to saw logs.  (I turned that down.)
     A couple of hours ago I was contacted by a fellow from Honduras about sawing logs in Honduras.  At least, I think that's what he was asking.  It was a short conversation.  His English was very poor.  He wanted to know if I had someone who could translate for me.  "Sorry; you called me.  You supply the translator."
     It's possible he's actually legit.  I dunno.  I know I'm not interested.  Has he gotten in touch with anyone else on here?  His English was too bad to figure out what he really wanted.  I can't believe I'm the only sawyer he called.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

I often get calls from strange numbers that I don't answer.  Could it be that I'm missing an opportunity for an all-expenses-paid (please check your sawmill at the gate) trip to sunny Honduras? ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

bandmiller2

Nomad your going to have to change your handle to "home boy" when they see Nomad they think your a traveler. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

Over the years, I've had calls to go to Guatemala, Dominican Republic, Angola, and a fly over of some acreage in Africa.  All would have been interesting, but a couple were outside my expertise.  The 2 that were in my abilities got stopped cold when it came to costs. 

I have a friend that is an engineer and has worked all over the world.  I asked him about pricing and he said you work at $1000/day plus expenses.  That also includes business class air, and American style hotel accommodations.  Of course, you would also need transportation and an interpreter.  In your case, they would also need to transport equipment, and have backup equipment available.  A $10,000 down payment would be the minimum.  The rate is probably higher today.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

customsawyer

I haven't had any strange calls to take the mill but have been getting strange calls and emails for lumber.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

It is that heart shaped sycamore that is causing it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I think you need to raise the price.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

Nomad,

Did he want you to bring your mill or just operate one for him?

Ron,

I have worked most of my last 20+ year career overseas in some ream remote areas. If you specify American style accommodations you may be killing the deal. The places I worked and we (Wife and I) vacationed often did not have such accommodations. In remote towns in Africa we would go to the best hotel in town, take a toilet ring from one room, light bulbs from another to the only room with a semi-working A/C unit. Often had a barrel of water in the shower to wash and flush toilets with. Wife often wanted to set up tent in hotel room to keep bugs away as it was insect proof. Dinner in best restaurant in town you could sit and watch geckos run out from behind the artwork and paintings and catch flies landing on the walls.

I loved it. Check my wife's website at greensphotographic.com for pictures from remote villages in Africa, Amazon and Mongolia and such.

I'd jump all over a good opportunity to go work in such places but do be careful to get money up front and make sure it is reasonably safe to visit.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nomad

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 08, 2015, 04:15:13 PM
Nomad,

Did he want you to bring your mill or just operate one for him?

I dunno.  Couldn't understand him enough to get that far into the conversation.  He could be legit.  But if he's calling me speaking almost no English, and wanting me to supply a translator, he hasn't thought it through very well. ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!