iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood kiln

Started by woodmaker, March 01, 2017, 10:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmaker

Hi all. As part of my retirement goals,I would like to begin selling kiln dried ,debarked firewood.I have 100 acres available,so have purchased a winch/grapple skidder (more on that later) and a debarker( still need a generator,no 3 phase power here) I am partners in a builtrite 40 processor.
  My questions concern a dry kiln . I would like to build something out of a shipping container,rather than buy a new kiln. I am not planning for large volume,(40/50 cords per year) but would like to use bio-mass to heat the kiln,mostly chips from the tops.Does anyone have any experience in doing this.  I am most interested in types of heat exchangers ,fans, controllers, venting,etc.
  I still have a couple years until retirement,and this would only be supplemental income(instead of commercial snowplowing), I would still do excavating in the summer.
  Any information would be appreciated .thanks
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Gearbox

Why kiln dried debarked and where are you from ? The way I look at it you are going to have to get $ 10 - 15 a cubic ft. to break even .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

TKehl

Why debarked?

Why chip the tops?

A wood boiler could be a cost effective way to go burning the tops (and wouldn't need to be chipped), but will require more time in the kiln as it won't get as hot as the commercial models.  For low volume like you have planned, it would work fine.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

woodmaker

I live in the southwest corner of N.H.,15 miles to Ma.,15 miles to Vt. Debarked wood is easier to move across a state line after its been kiln dried ,I'm told.The other reason for debarking is to gain additional fuel for the kiln,to mix with the chips.
My hope is to pull the entire tree out of the woods,cut off what is usable for processor wood,then chip the rest for kiln fuel,for use with an automatic feeder.
  I hope to do this only in the late fall and winter(thus the reason for the kiln).I can make more money setting on an excavator than I can with firewood.
  Every logger around here sells green or semi -seasoned wood;to my knowledge,there is only one other place selling true dry firewood.
  My question for the members of the forum is :   Has anyone tried to feed a boiler
with this type of chip,through an automatic feeder(belt or screw),and how did it work?

Should I be posting these kiln questions in the "Drying and processing" section of the forum?
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

DMcCoy

The term I know for what you are doing is called 'hog' fuel.  This might help with your search.   
I have seen systems for this comprised of open top screw auger conveyors running chips (and wood junk) up an incline around a central furnace where they were then dumped in at the top and fell some 2-3 stories onto a forced air burner.

Hog fuel has certain undesirable characteristics for even feeding.  Stringy fibers make for bridging.
I have built feeder bins but not for material like that so I can't really comment further.  Be careful, what you are trying to do isn't the easiest from what I have seen.

woodmaker

Thanks for the tip on the name "hog fuel" ,I have never heard that term before. I too am concerned about the fuel being too stringy,as well as the possibility of it freezing in the hopper. I had thought about taking the water that ran through the kiln and circulating it around the hopper before sending it back to the furnace.

DMcCoy

Have you considered building 2 solar kilns and get an extra year ahead on wood?

warren46

Before you invest in a large wood burning facility you should investigate EPA regulations.  It can cost a lot more to comply with their requirements.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

NWP

I don't see this being anywhere near profitable for 50 cords.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Bill Saf

I dont know if you found the info you were for here is a old post on ff. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=48700.0

hope it helps you

Bill

Pclem

There's a firewood kiln in the for sale section
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

woodmaker

Bill Saf , I thank you for that heads up,I hadn't seen that one.
pclem,thanks,but I am afraid the shipping from Wisconsin to New Hampshire would probably offset the reasonable price he is asking.Thanks for thinking of Me

glassman_48

woodmaker,
twister industries in Minnesota has quite a bit of knowledge about kilns, fans, motors, etc.  He may be able to give you some advice or leads.  I have a number if you need it.

woodmaker

glassman_48, I would appreciate any help you (or anyone else) could give me. Kilns are entirely new to me.I am  fair at fabricating,wiring,and hydraulics,but have no knowledge of the components necessary to make a kiln function properly,or how to make those components interface and function correctly.I would certainly appreciate his contact info. If you e-mailed it to me ,it would be a great help in my search for information. Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!