iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another build thread... JoshNZ

Started by JoshNZ, August 04, 2019, 08:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

yes. I do agree. and I do want to get rid of it to. That is why I was thinking mount them at an angle so when they are up they are flush along the side of the trailer but down they would angle out triangulating the frame. Would definitely make it much stronger with less wiggle.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: JoshNZ on September 02, 2020, 06:22:26 AMThey're way too light anyway - it's a problem I saw coming. Am wondering about ideas for something way more sturdy and no slop. Feel free to weigh in.
What about using receiver hitch-like attachments.  Pull a single pin and remove the whole trailer jack?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JRWoodchuck

I have 2" diameter pipe as outriggers at all four corners of the mill. Once I've leveled my mill I crank all my jacks up a half turn set the outriggers then drop the jacks back down the half turn. So the out riggers are stabilizing laterally but the jacks still hold the weight. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

JoshNZ

You would have to have vertical legs as well, if you were using angled legs. Dumping too much weight would bend them otherwise.

I went back to finish this job yesterday and cut rings out of a large branch to prop under the bed, since all the legs were buggered. What a difference it made to the whole saws behaviour. I'm really looking forward to getting something rigid installed.

If I do have anything pin and receiver like I'll also have a threaded handle to jam it against one side of its socket. Much like the log backstops

bwstout

I have mine the same as JR but I have 2 on each end and 2 in the middle with jacks on the sides to level and then just drop them down and have a bolt to jam it. However I do not do any mobile my just sets in one place for a while then I move it to clean and reset it up. And have knocked it around some with my tractor so for stay ridged. 

you can see one on this pick

home built mill

JRWoodchuck

I have 6 jacks on the mill to support the weight. The outriggers just support the lateral movement. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Hilltop366

Wondering if just angled legs could be used if the feet of the legs on one side were designed to slide horizontally on the leg then lock once you have the mill set up?

Legs could be double tube with a bit of threaded adjustment plus a drop section on the top.

Perhaps the sliding foot would not be needed it a short piece of plank was put on the ground first or the foot was designed with some up turn on the ends like a ski.

Crusarius

piece of long tube hinged from the inside rail of the mill bed drop down on the other side then held in place with either slip collar and jam bolt or jack. That gives you diagonal support and vertical support.

Take some figuring to get everything to work right without having to unbolt and remove for transport. But I have faith in you :)

JoshNZ

Might need to see a sketch crusarius lol

Crusarius

yea, I figured.

Hmm how to explain it a little better? 

Shoooot I dunno. Maybe I will work on a quick sketch. But its to late tonight

ktm250rider

I don't know if there is room, because I forgot to check on mine last night, but could you add a bolt to the pivoting jack stand?  I noticed all the play in mine is from the pivoting connection.  A bolt would allow you to tighten that down and still be removable to rotate the stand.

JoshNZ

The pivoting sleeves, inner and outer are too small on mine. What I should've done is solid trunions, and maybe threaded them for a bolt as you say. To get something that clears the road when they're up, clears the saw when they're down, and has no play, is actually no easy feat..

I think if I built a new mill I'd have no legs on it. I'd have some mechanism for removing the axle, and carry blocks with me.

Funnily enough on that note I took an experienced Sawyer with me on a job the other day for a bit of a lesson. After only a few minutes of looking around it was almost one of the first things he said "see you iron out all these bugs and the thing is you're not gonna have this mill very long, you'll sell it and build a better one" I said to him I don't know if I will it's not a profession im just playing around etc. He goes "bull sh** I can see it in your eyes you won't be able to help yourself!"  :D

RAYAR

Quote from: JoshNZ on September 10, 2020, 08:14:03 PM
Funnily enough on that note I took an experienced Sawyer with me on a job the other day for a bit of a lesson. After only a few minutes of looking around it was almost one of the first things he said "see you iron out all these bugs and the thing is you're not gonna have this mill very long, you'll sell it and build a better one" I said to him I don't know if I will it's not a profession im just playing around etc. He goes "bull sh** I can see it in your eyes you won't be able to help yourself!"  :D
So Josh, when you starting your next mill build ... :D :D :D
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Crusarius

Thats funny Josh, my v1.0 is up for sale :) I skipped over version 2.0 because 2.5 seemed better. As soon as v1.0 is sold v2.5 starts.

He is absolutely right. I love my mill and impressed with it everytime I use it, but now that I have learned and actually done some milling I want to make more changes.

JoshNZ

So do I but I have an entirely seperate business that does pretty well and I should stay focused on it. That's what a smart person would do anyway  ::)

mike_belben

I bang all my v1.0s together from absolute junk so its easy to let them fade into the shadow of future versions. 
Praise The Lord

JoshNZ

I just purchased 90ton of black walnut and Blackwood logs so 2.0 is gonna have to wait. And 1.0 is about to cop a thrashing haha. Not a hobby any more  :o

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

JoshNZ

Ya, and I have been warned countless times that the slope was slippery...

Hilltop366

No slope there, you went right off the cliff! ;D

mike_belben

I was gonna say..  That wasnt a slope.you stepped in a walnut waterslide.
Praise The Lord

JoshNZ

I'll be smiling all the way until I hit the bottom anyway.

Getting back to the build thread...

I've decided for this I'm going to drive piles into the ground, remove the axle and mount the mill on the piles. That puts the legs problem off until later on.

I need to add an alternator to the setup, the coil under the flywheel is obviously rubbish and the battery is getting weak after 2 days of sawing. Does anybody know if I can just bolt an alternator on, wire it to battery and go, or do I need to disconnect the engines charging coil? Can they both run in parallel?
The engine itself has mounting points all over it so I think I'm going to build the bracket to mount directly to it. I'm pretty well out of space on the beam. Still have room on the output shaft.

Ljohnsaw

It was a simple unplug of one connector for my in-motor alternator and I added a 1-wire GM alternator to my 20hp B&S mill engine.  No problems and it sure keeps the battery up!  I didn't want to chance having the two alternators fighting each other.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mike_belben

I think If you run the little charge coil wire from your voltage regulator to a one wire alternator, its gonna run at 14.x volts and the alternator will conclude the batteries are full.  

If you had a sensing terminal or lug on the alternator youd want this run to the battery positive. then the alternator should produce the correct amount of magnetic flux for actual battery voltage level.  If it runs down the voltage regulator will turn up the field coil current and put out more amps.  

Just be sure you have a key or switch to interrupt the power to the alternator if you run the battery to the field terminal or the alt field will drain the battery.
Praise The Lord

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: mike_belben on September 13, 2020, 10:08:21 PMJust be sure you have a key or switch to interrupt the power
I also installed a battery cut off switch.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!