iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your firewood business

Started by WoodBros, December 18, 2013, 07:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassman_48

I started about 5 years ago when I married into a wood burning in law family :)  I purchased a twister log splitter, then a twister firewood bundler and finally a twister firewood processor.  For just my family alone, we probably process 100 plus cords per year.  Then I process or sell another 100 or so pulp cords for friends and some for the state.  I have a 12' dump trailer and just got a used 3/4 ton gmc diesel pickup.  I use a 45 hp new Holland tractor for loading my log deck and I use the tractor for pallets of eco bricks that we sell on my commercial property.  We specialize in doing mobile firewood processing in our area, we make more money doing that than selling firewood. 

glk34

Been selling firewood for 5 yrs. Had always focused on Spruce and fir sawlogs but price hit the bottom so we switched to firewood. $250-300 per full cord in our area. Up to about 75 cords last year, just a sideline business for now. 15months til retirement which will give me more time for the firewood business

equipment: C4D skidder, C5D forwarder, Splitfire wood splitter, Hakki Pilke easy 37 processor, GMC 2500 and Cam superline dump trailer for deliveries.

I have been 30 yrs gathering up the above equipment, still waiting to get payback from my woodlot. Kids don't try this at home unless you really love the wood game. Which I do.

FayettesFinest

Been at it about a month and a half. Probably have sold close to 3 cords so far.

Equipment - 36cc Husqvarna, junk Poulan, Homelite Super2, 2 loaner saws (Poulan, Craftsman), 1996 F250 diesel, 2001 Dodge Dakota, 8lb splitting maul and a whole boat load of bad luck.

A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

Nate379

The guys that do 20-30 cords a year, how do you afford to eat?!  Sounds like a hobby, not a business.

If i don't do at least 10-15 cords a week its a rough week for me.  That's not counting selling lumver, ligging/land clearing and small engine repairs.
We are 4 guys total working.  One runs the stire, Carl's Dad, then me, Carl and a hired hand.

One a good day I have no trouble loading my big truck which holds 5.5 cords (10 wheeler with 18ft bed about 7.75 wide and 6ft tall sides.  Used to be a concrete truck, real heavy duty)

I have to sell about 10 cords a month to cover bills.

As far as logging, I've been doing it 3 years full time, before was part time.

David-L

Always doing firewood between saw logs. This week its' loads of standing dead ash to those who werent' prepared. Not alot of dry wood in this area at current. Some have it but are holding on to it. I am trying to help help a few people out. Hate those 8" widomakers in the tops of those big ash when you can't get the skidder next to it and have to pound a wedge. Finally getting stiff where I am cutting.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

brendonv

Nice load david. What can you get on that trailer, two cord?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

David-L

Brendonv, The trailer will hold between 1.5 and 2 cords of wood depending on the straightness and uniformity. That is with 12' wood. I took home two baskets of straight wood last spring and dead stacked them in cut and split 4' wood and came up at a strong 32'.  So yes with straight wood 2 cords is a good guess.

Holmes

David-L, in Petersham is all that 4' cut and split and stacked wood on Main St.? yours?  If not what is it used for and where does it go do you know? Looks like they have had about a mile of it stacked 8' high around the fields.
Think like a farmer.

David-L

Holmes, If it was mine I would be taking December off completely to deer hunt everyday. It is not mine but yes ,well over 100 cd there. Go's to Natucket I believe. They have two small farmi grapples, All wood is in 46" split to fit side by side on trailer. Wood is bought $ in to yard in 46" rounds. Two way back and forth splitter that use to have a Johnny two popper for the hyd pump. I still plan on getting a fair amount of hunting in.

gaproperty

Quote from: MaineFarmer on March 06, 2014, 08:37:03 AM
Been selling firewood for almost 10 years now. Started off in high school with a home made pulp dray (old truck frame and axel) pulled by a old john deere farm tractor, worked the wood 4ft length and then cut to stove length on a old cord wood saw powered by a 1951 JD model "M" tractor. Split everything with splitting axes. Delivered with flat bed one ton truck...  Lets just say doing 20+ cords this way I was always in shape for football season!

Current operation, John Deere 2355 JD with fransgard v4000, home made wood splitter 13hp honda, 22gpm (same specs as timber-wolf fast cycle splitter), two chainsaws husqvarna 365xt and 562xp saws. Delivery is done with a 91 F-450 dump truck. Current production is between 50-100 cord... Depends on how busy I get with other farm work and graduate school!
man it is good to see young people at it and liking it enough to post about it in these forums.  I live in Nova Scotia now and I am semi retired form the I.T. world at 53 years old but I always did a bit a wood work and will continue to do it until I die. You are on the right track... keep working hard and play safe. Before long you will be producing 500 cords.
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

gaproperty

Quote from: glk34 on November 18, 2014, 05:49:08 PM
Been selling firewood for 5 yrs. Had always focused on Spruce and fir sawlogs but price hit the bottom so we switched to firewood. $250-300 per full cord in our area. Up to about 75 cords last year, just a sideline business for now. 15months til retirement which will give me more time for the firewood business

equipment: C4D skidder, C5D forwarder, Splitfire wood splitter, Hakki Pilke easy 37 processor, GMC 2500 and Cam superline dump trailer for deliveries.

I have been 30 yrs gathering up the above equipment, still waiting to get payback from my woodlot. Kids don't try this at home unless you really love the wood game. Which I do.
Hi.  I lived in Moncton for 30 years.  Just semi retired and now spend most of my time in Nova Scotia but always played in the woods. Never made anything but always enjoyed it.  Glad to see you are doing well. I got a line on some firewood. Not sure what stumpage to pay. I think it will be about $35 a cord.  That is what everybody seems to want to get. Is that kinda high?

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Corley5

$10.00-12.00 per standard cord is going rate for hardwood pulp here. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

TeaW

gaproperty in this area stumpage is $30. + and it has been for years but NS, I don't know.
TeaW

Thank You Sponsors!