iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

when and when not to cut

Started by tstex, January 15, 2009, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Gentlemen,

Have about 100 acres in NW Colorado Cty, TX.  About 40 acres are wooded with mainly cedar, live oaks and youpon.  There are two huge live-oaks that are at least 200-300 yrs old.  in the mix that i have a question.

I wanted to clear-out and cut some of the cedar, youpon and scrub brush so you could get a much better view of these trees. The thatch/compost on the ground around these trees are pretty thick and most of the ground is nicely shaded.  Since we have been having some bad droughts, would clearing out around the trees cause enough moisture loss to cause havoc with the root structure/dip line?  The last thing I want to do is disturb anything that could cause these trees succumb to disease by weakening their immune system.

If you have any questions, pls let me know. Thank you very much for your advice.

Be safe,
tom

LeeB

TAking out the cedars will help the other trees. Cedars suck up lots of water. Where is Colorado Cty?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Like Lee said.  Clearing around the big oaks should help not hurt them.  All that brush sucks up water and competes for water and nutrients.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tstex

Quote from: LeeB on January 15, 2009, 10:54:50 PM
TAking out the cedars will help the other trees. Cedars suck up lots of water. Where is Colorado Cty?

Thanks guys...CO Cty is about 65 miles WNW of Houston...Columbus TX is dead centeron I-10.  we are in the NW quadrant.

Texas Ranger

Like the boys said, clear out the competition and the rest will benefit.

Welcome, a few more Texans and we will own this joint. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!