iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 production question??

Started by jeremiahdixon, January 31, 2011, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkorgem

I'm not sure. Haha. I'm not sure if I could even move them if I did get them. Just want the capability. I've worked out a plan for my homemade mill. Started cutting and welding a little between snowstorms. I've got alot of parts to find/buy. I'm modeling my mill after a timberking, kind of. I have 3" tubing with 1/4" wall for the carriage frame. 5" angle for the track frame. Heavy duty stuff. I'm sorry, I'm rambling on someones thread.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum junkorgem!

Always great to see another NY'r enter here!

Lots of good info on this site!  Really good people too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

junkorgem

Thank you Chuck, this forum is a great wealth of information!

jeremiahdixon

I would like to try two logs at a time but Im not sure how I would turn one or the other. I actually took my power pack box off and put a conveyor belt there to grab the cut pieces and go on to edger. As for hours in a day Ill be working, well I havent a clue. Whatever it takes I suppose. I think, but am not sure, that in a reversed three phase problem the solution is to swith around any 2 wires and will fix it. Dont take my word for it though.

jeremiahdixon

I got my 2 head Baker set in today and started all of my motors. Blower, chopsaw, Woodmizer and edger. Seems everything is so far so good. Maybe Ill be sawing before long.  8)

jeremiahdixon

I tried out my new log turner today on my LT40. I took all of the old off. cut a round wheel, welded teeth on it, and bolted it to a hydraulic motor then bolted that on a cylinder. I have my hydraulics all hooked to my power pack on my edger. It works like a dream. Im not certain how most mills turn their logs but mine works great and Im proud of it. I think I need new guide holders on my Woodmizer and Ill be sawing before I know....with any luck at all.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: jeremiahdixon on February 18, 2011, 11:38:23 PM
As for hours in a day Ill be working, well I havent a clue. Whatever it takes I suppose.
smiley_whip 24-7
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

jeremiahdixon

Sawed my first two logs on the woodmizer today. I still havent tried out my edger, chopsaw, or 2 head baker yet. Hopefully will be soon.

jeremiahdixon

can anyone tell me how to set my guides on the lt40? do i put tension down on the blade while its tight? also do i let the blade run against the lip on the back of the guide wheel?

Magicman

I'm not trying to cut you short with this, and I realize that the mill is new to you, but do you have your mill manuals.  There are some adjustments that you need to become very familiar with.  Understanding and following the manual's adjustment instructions is very important.

Yes, the blade should be deflected downward about ΒΌ" from the band wheels.  Yes, the blade should ride about 1/8" ahead of the blade guide rear lip.  There should also be blade guide deflection which allows the blade to contact this lip only on the drive wheel side which forces the blade into tighter contact with the blade guide.  The list goes on.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jeremiahdixon

No manuals. Sounds like it might be a good idea to get some. The information youve given will be very helpful though and I appreciate it alot. Thank you.

Brucer

Contact Wood-Mizer and get the manuals ASAP!

They have all the information you'll need about spare parts, adjustment, Preventive Maintenance, mill alignment, and safe operation.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

backwoods sawyer

:P :P :P :P ;D :P :P :P :P 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

MartyParsons

Hello,
we have an WM owner day next Friday here at PA Wood-Mizer. We explainand and show how alignment is done. Also one scheduled for West Virginia May 7th.

Did you ever hear the pharse give a man a fish feed him for a day or teach him how to fish and feed him for a life time. Same principal.

Topics covered are Wood Mizer Blades ReSharp tour, sawmill preventive maintenance and alignment, question and discussion on what ever you want to talk about.

Wow we have about 45 WM owners signed up for Friday April 8th.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

jeremiahdixon

I have my WM guides lined up after a couple of frustrating days. I had my Baker guides lined in a couple of hours. They arent as crucial though. I think anyway. This all just a guessing game to me so I appreciate all of the advice I can get. I am going to saw a few stringers tomorrow, with any luck at all.

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

jeremiahdixon

The picture is of what I got started with. Looks alot different around there now. I think have picture posting down so I will get more up asap. :)

Papa1stuff

How about a show in Central Florida??
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Thank You Sponsors!