iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

seasoned ash

Started by Wildcat, April 03, 2011, 09:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

Hi, I am a newbee to the forum,
My brother inlaw working at a home construction site has the chance to get 25 to 30 ash logs that was cut back in late Aug, have turned gray in color ranging from 10'' to 25'' thick 10 to 20' long, and a 100yr old ash that has not been cut up yet, would this be worth the time for lumber milling or just fire wood..thanks
wildcat ::)

mikeb1079

hell yes.  only the outside will be grey, the inside will be beautiful.   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Dave Shepard

How badly have the logs checked? I like to saw ash as quickly as possible.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Wildcat

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 03, 2011, 09:26:49 PM
How badly have the logs checked? I like to saw ash as quickly as possible.
average checking , bark is still tight and not loose... logs are are all gray

tyb525

Go for it, there might be some bugs in the outside, but the inside should still be fine. It would be a good idea to flip the cant often to reduce stress.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

I've had very little experience with Ash, but I can say, Welcome Wildcat to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SwampDonkey

Wildcat, down at Garant's they mill those gray logs all the time for tool handles.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Wildcat,welcome to the forum.What have you got for a sawmill? Been sawing long? What's all the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jcbrotz

I just milled some I dropped in Nov. Mill it but use LOTS of water and change the blade early.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

tomsteve

poor mans oak. i love it. go for it!

KyTreeFarmer

Wildcat, Like everyone else says. Go for it! Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Where in Ky are you located? I am in Winchester.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

pnyberg

Do it sooner rather than later, as ash tends to check big-time if left the logs are left sitting too long.

--Peter
No longer milling

Wildcat

Thanks for everybody's reply..
we are going to mill these logs out...

Wildcat

Quote from: KyTreeFarmer on April 04, 2011, 10:26:05 AM

Wildcat, Like everyone else says. Go for it! Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Where in Ky are you located? I am in Winchester.
KTF
Treefarmer I am in Mount vernon, "renfro valley"...

rambo

If you looked around I am sure you could find a market for baseball bat blanks. They like the larger diameter because they can get more linear wood from them.

Thank You Sponsors!