iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yates A4 planer

Started by Treecuttermo, May 08, 2020, 07:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treecuttermo

Anyone have any info on these?  I found one and have been thinking about buying it but I'm not sure on finding parts and such.  Yates said they no longer service these machines so that makes me a bit nervous.

Quebecnewf

What kind of condition is it in . They are very tough machines

Any pics ?

Quebecnewf 

Wattwood

Check out the OWWM.org website and do a search there. Great depth of knowledge on vintage woodworking equipment, restoration and repairs. Rob
LT15 Electric and a couple Ferguson tractors

Treecuttermo

Quote from: Quebecnewf on May 09, 2020, 04:51:47 AM
What kind of condition is it in . They are very tough machines

Any pics ?

Quebecnewf
It looks pretty rough. Been sitting outside for 8+ years. I'll grab some pics later if I can

Treecuttermo

Ive tried adding pics and it’s not working. 

Quebecnewf

Adding pics on this site is a bit complicated . There is a topic on here where it explaines how to do it . Poke around and you will find it . 

Outside for 8 years is not to bad . One of mine sat outside for 18 years before I got it . I rebuilt it and it works fine now .

Quebecnewf 

Treecuttermo

Quebecnewf

Now that's a planer . I would love to see that run .

Those machines are massive you need serious iron to move those around .

Over on the OWWM site there is a very long thread where three or four guys did a sort of competition and they each rebuilt one of those type 4 sided planers . Very interesting reading and lots of pics and video . Maybe you've seen it .

If not it is a must see for you .

One of them might have been the same model your looking at . 

Check it out and keep us posted if you move ahead . 

I guarantee you if you put in the time and rebuild it you will not be disappointed .

Quebecnewf 

Treecuttermo

Moving it is a big hurdle right now. I have the equipment at our end but he has no way to load it. 

It has my interest sparked but as for the rest of the crew not so much. We shall see. 

farmfromkansas

Do you have any friends who are machinists?  Used to have a neighbor who would rebuild shafts for my combine and other machines, like if a bearing went out and messed up the end of the shaft.  He would weld it up, then turn it back down to size, always wanted you to bring a new bearing to fit the shaft to.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Don P

Is it belt driven or direct motor drive, are the shafts and motors still free?
Square head or round, are they there? Just sayin, I've got a 10,000 lb boat anchor here, I wish it were the same as yours for parts at least.

Rob in WNY

Looking at the catalog over on OWWM its belt drive and originally had round heads.

If you have a need for a matcher that could be a good one. look it over good, missing or broken parts will have to be made. Heads may be out there

Rob

Treecuttermo

Quote from: farmfromkansas on May 10, 2020, 09:26:47 AM
Do you have any friends who are machinists?  Used to have a neighbor who would rebuild shafts for my combine and other machines, like if a bearing went out and messed up the end of the shaft.  He would weld it up, then turn it back down to size, always wanted you to bring a new bearing to fit the shaft to.
My brother in law is a machinist. And I've been talking to him. 

Treecuttermo

Quote from: Don P on May 10, 2020, 10:02:56 AM
Is it belt driven or direct motor drive, are the shafts and motors still free?
Square head or round, are they there? Just sayin, I've got a 10,000 lb boat anchor here, I wish it were the same as yours for parts at least.
I haven't gotten to look at it yet so the pics are all I have so far. He is supposed to have extra heads and he is going to get pics of them sometime next week. 

sealark37

You need a knowledgeable roll-back wrecker and a chain saw, along with a few 4"x4" blocks.

Escavader

I RUN a yates a 20 every day.tough machines.we just bought two more last week for a possible future mill addition.i hauled two on a trailer truck.about 14000 lbs a piece just fyi.takes a big tank of a forklift to move one.
Parts are available for the a20.id give yates a call and find out whats available for the one your looking at.
Alot of tricks and knowledge to fixing these old girls.
They still make an a20.about half a million bucks.cheaper to rebuild one
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Thank You Sponsors!