iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to save a tree??

Started by moosehunter, February 07, 2006, 07:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

We will be removing many ( hundreds) stumps this year for our new home site with our "new" 1964 Cat D6. Among these hundreds of stumps are a few trees I want to save. The trees I want to save are Maple(large root ball), the stumps we are removing are Red pine (small root ball) and popler(aspen)(? root ball).
So, how far do I stay from the trunk of a tree I want to save? I am worried about soil compaction and/ or disturbing the roots. The Maples are 10-15" dbh.
Thanx, mh

I'm thinking I should have put this in "ask the forester"
Anyone know how to move it?
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

SwampDonkey

How far away from the leave trees? I would say at least the drip line of the tree crown.

One thing I would caution you about is the filling with top soil over the existing ground level around your leave trees. It will smother the roots and some species are more sensitive than others. Have you looked at renting a stump grinder instead of digging and back filling? If you get pullin and filling around your leave trees your liable to do damage I would think. Aspen roots have very extensive root systems up to 400 feet from the mother tree. Be prepared to deal with lots of root sprouts.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moosehunter

I plan to not dig up the stumps that are in the root line of a tree I want to save. I will grind them or leave them (red pine rots pretty quick). I already knew about not filling over roots. (great advise though).
I was thinking a root rake for those pesky aspen roots.
I plan to put up stakes and ribbons to keep me out of the "save a tree zone".
So if I understand you correctly, if I stay outside of the crown of the tree I should be ok? Trip line?

SwampDonkey

meant 'drip line' sorry.

That will keep you off the part of the roots that can get the worse mechanical damage. You might even add an extra 5 feet to the radius of that 'no entry' zone, for good measure.

What I found with maple they seem to burry themslves well below the surface, but white spruce is terrible for surface roots. I'm always cutting into them with the mower. That's not doing the trees any good.  :'(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen_Wiley

Will affirm what the Donk said.

Would recommend 15 feet beyond drip line if possible.  Sunlight will penetrate up to 8 inches below soil grade.  So on stumps closest to preservable trees grind to 12 inches and do not extend beyond any root below soil grade in width. (To protect roots which maybe grafted nearby).

Also to clarify, if you have stumps close to drip line, you could build up soil to make an interesting rock garden over stump and a foot beyond. This small amount of raised bed will not greatly impact the root zone.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

moosehunter

smiley_idea Drip line makes a lot more sense!
Thanks!

Dale Hatfield

Moosehunter
Stay outside of the drip line.  Keep the ribbons marking trees up until the project is complete. That way it will keep lumber yard from  dropping off whatever under em. It will also keep whoever from parking under them.
The other thing is  i might be  best to hand fell and leave any stump within  20 feet of drip line. Root mass can very well be tied together.
Make  sure that every person even the plumber knows that for no reason that anything is to be placed inside of the marked off area.

Plan underground lines around theses areas  including septic. I would pay close attention to how close i build to the trees. I Like  about 70 foot from near tree, Cheap insurance. that wont completely put you out of harms way, but hopefully on the lighter end of damage if something were to cause tree to fail.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Ron Scott

Ditto to what has been said. Stay as far as you can outside the ''drip line" as possible and mark the "no activity" zone. smiley_smash
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!