iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small-scale site prep

Started by Clark, March 12, 2021, 09:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Quote from: Gary_C on March 19, 2021, 11:30:30 AMThe chisel plows I've seen look like they are meant to pull backward but that is probably for better traction. If you are not going too deep you could probably turn the chisel points around and push forward so you don't get a stiff neck from backing all the time.
They just dont work very well going forward on a skid loader.

With no load in the bucket youve got about 70% rear weight bias still and like 90% when going forward or up incline .. so when you go forward most tools want to glide over the surface.  Going backward you can curl down hard enough to raise a pair of tires or idlers ofnthe grond and really get some pressure on the bucket tip to subsoil down low.  Plus you can see the finished work and not run it over and recompact it.
Praise The Lord

Roundhouse

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 19, 2021, 06:06:21 AM
Now that was a find! I could put that to work 5 minutes after it got out of the truck and at 40 bucks it was a steel too! Lucky dog!
Thanks, I'd been on the casual lookout for one for a while. It did need one repair. The frame was cracked right where the pull chain mounts, an easy fix with a fresh piece of angle iron. It was also painted baby blue.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Gary_C

Quote from: mike_belben on March 19, 2021, 02:28:41 PM

They just dont work very well going forward on a skid loader.

With no load in the bucket youve got about 70% rear weight bias still and like 90% when going forward or up incline 
You must be thinking of a different chisel plow. The ones I've seen replace the bucket and have their own quick attach mount. You can point them down at whatever angle you want. They also have pads to control the depth of penetration as the biggest problem is going too deep. Yes, you would drive over what you just dug up but the idea is not aeriation but disturbance. They are made to be pulled backwards but that will give you a stiff neck from looking backwards all the time.

There are also forward facing root rakes but I'm not sure they are strong enough to penetrate the ground. They are mostly made for raking surface material into piles.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Root rakes are great for removing aspen and alders, anything with very shallow roots. The ones on dozers I mean. Clearing fields up here they use a rake on an excavator to rake and pile them. We've used dozer with rake to clear off aldered farmland for planting spruce. I know one settlement where I bet there is 3000 acres of alder fields, most of the owners don't live around here. Old family ground. Left and not planted, most of what comes is pasture spruce, red maple, cherry and ash when left alone. But I woudn't go through all that for broadcasting seeds on a fresh cut. I would plan on using a clearing saw in about 10 years though. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

Gary youre right im not familiar with the exact attachment you mean.  i understand chisel plows in general having built a few but never tried one on a skidsteer.  

My comment was just physics of skid steers in general.  When they encounter resistance while going forward, the forward torque makes the attachment rise and unload the front tires and tool unless it has just the right tooth angle and form to stay buried.    Going backward the tire torque loads the bucket edge down and plants the front tires harder.  I cant push a log forward nearly as well as i can drag it with my skid steer for that reason.  

Actually the best scenario ive encountered backdragging timber with the skidsteer is when the log is heavy enough to put me only on two wheels and then it rides beautiful, real soft and easy steering with no tire spin like a bells 3 wheeler working hard .. I imagine anyways.  When 4 wheels are on the ground a bobcat in the woods will really toss you sometimes.
Praise The Lord

Gary_C

I have never run one but my son who runs a road construction company tells me that these large tracked skid loaders are as good at pushing as a D-3 dozer.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mike_belben

My godfathers kid bought a big track bobcat new.. Says its close to the TD7.  Ive pushed a touch over 250 triaxle loads with my D31.  The guy who brings the dirt has a big case CTL that was here once.  And itll do a pile faster than the dozer, no joke.  
Praise The Lord

johndozer

We used a soil pulverizer behind a 50 hp tractor to pretty good effect rehabbing fire guards on our place. It would give 2'3 inches of penetration. If that is more than you want chain harrow, spike harrow or landscape rake might work.

barbender

The new CTL's will work circles around a similar sized dozer on some jobs. However, on a day where we have a D3 pushing loaded trucks on their axles all day, I don't think I'd trade for a CTL. Will it push a truck? Probably. Should it? I remember we had a new Case CT450 ctl one year on a crew I was working on, we were using it to shave a topsoil pile that had been put up with scrapers- it was packed hard! Should've had a dozer or excavator, after that we had problems with drive hoses blowing etc. They have too much power for their own good, imo.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Ive only been an observer and never run a real monster like those.  They can push about the same sized slab of freshly dumped dirt as a small dozer but the speed that they can fly back and grab another bite really wins the race.  Id rather the dozer for peeling up hardpack or roadbuilding but theres not doubt a big CTL is a swiss army workhorse. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!