iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling Timber(aspen)

Started by Andy, March 02, 2002, 06:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Going to cut alot of aspen near Mio, Mich. How can I get info. on who to sell it to ect. I know little about selling timber. Im going to have lots of 8 to 12 inch logs that are pretty straight with few lower branches. Also, how are cords of aspen sold? Are they 4 ft. logs? Is there a minium diameter? Thankful for any help. Andy

Cedar Eater

Hey Andy, welcome again (I replied to your other post in Ask the Forester). Unfortunately, most mills and most log haulers don't like dealing with tree farmers. They prefer to deal with loggers and some mills (like ABTCo.) set up complex allotment systems. Some won't buy from you unless you have Workmen's Comp. (which doesn't make sense for a tree farmer with no employees). That seems to be just a way to avoid dealing with small loads.

So what it boils down to is this; you have to sell to a logger who hires a trucker to load and deliver your logs. That's two middlemen and they both have to eat, so you get less and the logger may want to do the cutting (so he can get even more).

So if you're sure you're going to cut your own, try to find a local logger who'll work with you and ask him what lengths and diameters he wants, then ask back here (probably in the Forestry and Logging board) about the prices.

Cedar Eater

Jeff

Andy, aspen is a different animal. If you want to maintain any future aspen stands you can't just thin it. It can't regenerate that way. Apen needs to be clearcut to regenerate. When I say clearcut I do not necesarily mean what you think. A clearcut might only be 1/2 an acre. You have to open up the forestfloor.

There are lots of resources available to the Michigan landowner to help educate them on selecting a proffessional to harvest your timber.

Start with The Timber Buyers Network. Use that and here to answer your questions. www.timberbuyer.net

Go to www.mfra.org and order thier free brochures.

You can go to www.timbermen.org to ask specific questions about michigan loggers or other forest products companies. They can be a wealth of knowledge.

You definitly need to get a forester involved to help get you where you want to be.

Aspen logs may be purchased by the cord or by the thousand board foot. Most sawlogs must be a minimum of 10 inches at the small end to be concidered a log. A 12 inch tree is only going to give you one log. Length depends on the buyer and his current markets.

The remainder of the tree that is to small for logs can be sold as pulp or chips. Pulp may be bought by the cord, but as a rule now days it is bought by the ton as are the chips.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Again, seek out the advice of a professional forester that knows the silviculture of the various timber species you have to manage on your property. Also one that knows how to plan and manage a timber harvest on the landscape.

Have a Timber Harvest Contract covering all the terms and conditions. Have a performance bond to cover any concerns that you may have such as cutting of unmarked timber, road and property damage, stump heights, slash removal etc.

Aspen is an early successional intolerant species (one that needs full sunlight to regenerate) and short lived with a 40-60 year economic rotation.Since it needs full sunlight to regenerate, thus the need for its total removal or evenaged management (clear-cutting).

Check the Forum Links, you can find much information on aspen management.
~Ron

kwall

10'' and larger and 8 to 16' lengths are in demand by the log home guys.It is sold to Me by the for about 60.00 @cord dropped in My yard near Garden,MI

Bud Man

Andy  Did you ever determine unknown species of birch you asked about a week or so a go on your woodlot? Curious ? :P
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Thank You Sponsors!