iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How big will hot saw cut

Started by Nemologger, June 03, 2018, 11:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

How big of a tree can a guy cut with a 22 inch hot saw?  Without just butchering it of course.
Clean and Sober

Southside

Honestly the question is how big is the butt swell?  I would guess I have snipped off 24" wood in a single pass with mine without issue, I have a 22" Kohering, you figure the stick does shift somewhat moving into the head.  Sometimes you get a tiny bit of broken fiber on the far end, an inch or so, if it's bigger than that you will know because she won't lift without a bit of back and forth to snap what is left over.  

You can cut through quite a bit larger from several sides, or even make a larger opening to get deeper, but those are not the ones I plan on wrapping the arms around, more of a directional nudge and let her fall.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chevytaHOE5674

I limbed and topped behind a timbco with a 22" quadco and the operator would double, triple, or more cut and put 30-40" wood on the ground. He wasn't trying to hold them at all just cutting and pushing them a bit, generally trying to work with the natural lean.

Maine logger88

With good sharp teeth my 18 inch koering will cut 20 inch single pass without pulling to much fiber. I've got 30 in pine down with 4 cuts before but that's the max for that head. I would imagine a 22 inch would got a lot bigger 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Nemologger

Which head is best...the tall center post head or the shorter one?
Clean and Sober

Maine logger88

I cant answer that question mine is the short head and it seems to work well but its the only one ive used so i dont know any better lol! Whats kind of machine are you looking at?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Southside

I would be leery of a side pocket design for anything other than pulp thinning, know of several that like to lay on their side when handling a decent sized stick.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nemologger

Clean and Sober

Thank You Sponsors!