iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody Watch our Competition

Started by Fla._Deadheader, November 25, 2005, 08:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Much of the Great Lakes locations are in "cold & deep" waters. thus the need for dry suits used by the divers.  ;)

Log salvage is not like it use to be years ago. Special permits are needed from the State for removal of any woody debis from its waters and they are not very easy to come by. Stumpage values must be paid  to the State for any logs recovered from the state's bottom lands. 
~Ron

Murf

Them fellas aren't far from me, a friend did some barge work for them in their early days.

He told them the same thing, a waste fo great wood, unfortunately it came down to dollars & sense.

If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense.  :D  They couldn't get as much for the logs as lumber as they could making the...... stuff ..... they do with it.

All the lakes around my place are full of timber the same age, but mostly old growth virgin white pine. They would cut all winter and yard the wood on the frozen lakes till break up then float it down to the mills. A lot of it sank before it ever got to the mills. There's a log of the end of my dock that's gotta be 4' around that looks to be in great shape, I can't push a screwdriver in more than about an inch, it's down about 30' and right in the current so it isn't even buried.

Once my mill is built I think it's gonna come up for air, and a new table........  8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Frickman

I too was a little upset about what they did to that beautiful wood, but it's a free country. If you want pay top dollar for cherry veneer logs, I'll sell them to you all day. If you cut them up into firewood that's you're business.

I will occasionally save some wood, but it has to be special. Cutting wood is a business for me, and I have to sell it to make a living. I know I can get the more common species at any time, so I don't save too much of them. A nice piece of apple, sassafrass, or another less common species will get my heart pumping and I have to keep it for myself. I'm not a full-fledged wood hoarder, but it is an addiction that is under control. ;D ;D
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

crtreedude

Well, we aren't anyone to talk about using really wonderful wood for mundane purposes. The house where FDH is staying is sided with SurĂ¡ - Pecky SurĂ¡ in fact. Really pretty stuff.

Probably much to good for FDH - I am going to have to watch him that he doesn't pry it off one night and sell it...  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

Just for kicks, What does that stuff sell for, Fred ??  smiley_devilish smiley_devil
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Just keep your crowbar off my houses!  :o

Murf

CROWBAR ??!!

No, that's far to agressive for fine wood, FDH is much more genteel than that .........

He'd be reallllll smooth takin' it off, otherwise it wouldn't bring as much money.  :D

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

I can see the pressure is on... the is only one hope. Keep FDH so busy that can't have time to dismantle the house.

Harold, once you get here, I have an order for 1,000 BF you have to process into TG flooring. Just sold it.

Fred

Murf

Either that or just subtly point out that the neighbours places have nicer wood siding .......  :D

Phorester

CRTREEDUDE, 

Wood HOarders Anonymous:  WHOA

crtreedude

I think that WHOA will work as well as it does on a 2.5 year old stallion ... with this group.

Phorester

Or a 4 year old boy.  You be right I suspect.

Thank You Sponsors!