iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

giant hog

Started by fishman, May 26, 2007, 04:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishman

today in our local paper there is a picture and story of an 11 yr. old boy in alabama with a 1051 lb. wild hog. anyone else seen this article? the website is- www.swtimes.com    look in saturday's sports section. we have wild hogs here, almost as thick as the ticks ;D but a biggun is 300lb, dependin on who tells the tale, most of em are 100-150 lb, i am not sure i would shoot one that big for fear of making it very angry at me ;D

Dave Shepard

I believe that one is staged, if it is the one I have seen, if you look closely the people look to be photo shopped in. There is one on Snopes that is 1100 lbs and real though.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

PineNut

The write up of that hog is on drudge report. Noted a couple of interesting things about it. The scale it was weighed on only measures in increments of 10 pounds. (The hog could have weighed 1060 pounds.) I will agree that the picture of the boy is extremely sharp compared to the rest of the photo. It just doesn't look right. Also I am not sure just what they are going to do with 500 to 700 pounds of sausage made from a hog that big. From what I hear, if the hog is over 175 to 200 pounds, the meat is not going to be very good.

We have plenty of those wild hogs here in SW MS also. Some get up to around 300 pounds but most are smaller, in the 100 to 200 pound range. These smaller ones are the best for meat.   

thecfarm

That hog made the front page of my paper.I kinda wondered about if it was real or not.Something that big eats alot and I would think other hunters would of seen it.I've heard stories of big bucks around here.It's always the same area that he is seen in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PineNut

A picture of this hog is on snopes but they do not have any comments yet.

jon12345

The kid has his own website with more pics piggy
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Dave Shepard

This may or may not be a true story, but if you been around animals a long time, your instinct says that thing should weigh a lot more than a 1,000 pounds. The proportions just don't look right to me. That thing looks more like a holstein than a hog. Just my .02, but I am on the sceptical side right now.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishman

i kinda thought it might not be right, it is reported as a true story in our papers sports section,i personally have seen some HUGE sows, i can't imagine one that big being able to get enough food to stay that big on its own and still stay out of hunters sight for long.

beenthere

I'm skeptical too. Looking at their website, the pic of the hog hanging from the bucket of the loader tractor, isn't the same as the one where the two guys are standing just behind (and to the side) of it. At least, not to me.
Regardless, it is still big.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

We need somebody from Texas to tell us about big hogs...I bet that Texas Ranger guy might have a story or two.  Seems I remember some up round 1,000 pounds being killed down that way.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fishman

larry,  you are about the same way north as me, i am on the west side of the boston mtns. are ya'll covered up with wild hogs like we are?

Larry

I'm a newcomer to the area so take this with a grain of salt.  I have never seen a hog here or heard of any in this area.

As a side note I really like to hunt, trap, and eat wild hogs.  I would definitely be interested in helping you with pest control this fall. ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Paschale

Well, if it's a ruse, then CNN'sCNN's been taken in. 
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

And we all know that's not possible eh Paschale. ;)

Paschale

It wouldn't have been the first time...   ::)

But still, I'd like this one to be for real.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Gary_C

Good Morning America also ran the giant hog story this morning, right along with the story that Rosie will no longer appear on The View.  Do you suppose that was deliberate to run both stories together? May have been ABC's parting shot.  :D :D

If the giant hog story is true, why did they wait so long to let the story out? By the time the story is out the hog is already sausage and has been eaten according to their web site.   ::) ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

bitternut

Gary I like the way you think. :) I also saw both hog stories this morning. Seems to me that if I had shot that pig I would have placed it in a cold storage or walk in freezer for all to examine. I for sure would have had it examined and weighed on certified scales with the weight witnessed and stamped by a notary. Seems like that pig would have drawn a very large crowd and there should be all kinds of people saying that they had seen it.

beenthere

A Fox news story mentions others who are suspicious of the claims and the possible trick photography.

Question Hog Photos
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

Today's paper reports that the "monster"  was named Fred and had been raised on an Alabama farm.  He had been sold to Lost Creek Plantation just 4 days earlier and was inside a 150 acre fenced area.   ::)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

fishman

we had the same story in our paper today, why would anyone do that to their child :( :(

Thank You Sponsors!