iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

We got a lot of rain last night and this morning, probably over 3".  Last night around 11:30 my wife woke me up and said the t.v. news folks said that a tornado was headed our way.  We rousted the girls from their beds and all went into an interior room for the next few minutes.  It did not hit us but a few miles away there was significant damage.

The roof of the Kathleen Middle School was ripped off.  Several of JMoore's (John) neighbors had some property damage.  There were parts of barns and pool awnings in our weedy hay field, which is near John's.

Caveman

WDH

Glad that you came through relatively unscathed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Late this week we had a gully washer with over 3" of rain. We didn't get as much damage as was predicted, mostly mild power outages fixed within a day. But yesterday was just a perfect work day. Temp was 32 at day break. Bright sunshine all day and the high hit around 62°. Today looks to be a little less. It is going to be overcast and barely make the mod-fifties. We should have some rain coming in for the second half of the day. I need to see how much I can get done. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

We hard rain and bad bad wind. I have no idea how much rain we got,but that wind was bad. I was without power for 32 hours. The problem must of been down at the end of the road,a dead end road. The town maintained road is fine,but someone put a small building in and put power to it. I did not bother going down there in the dark. Can get kinda greasy down there. Once we waited 3 days for the power company to cut a 6 inch dead fir off the line. Took 15 minutes for them to drive up and reset the breaker at the end of the road.
We was lucky on getting power back. I read in the paper yesterday it could be days before power is restored.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

51° and rain. Not sure how I feel about that. I was gonna work today, but didn't really want to. If it was light mist, I could have worked in it, and pretended I was on a pleasure hike in the woods. Would have been a nice fall day. It's still a nice fall day, but too wet for my gear, so I guess I'll be spending quality time with the cat today. Might open my new bottle of rye later. Yesterday I decreed the opening of drinking season. That starts when the weather gets nice, and will end some time next year; maybe April.

SwampDonkey

We missed the heavir winds, but still 20 mph or so. It took the roof off the IGA in Mars Hill I heard. That is not 10 miles from here. I'd say we had less than an inch, it was showery and not steady. Glad everyone is safe. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

We had light frost in some open areas close to Toledo .Not so much in others .North of where I'm at the fields are like Kansas ,really open .

wisconsitom

Looking at heavy rain moving into the state this morning.  We don't need it.  Here it comes!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Old Greenhorn

Nice morning yesterday but cloudy, no real wind. Started raining at 11am and by 3pm I was wet enough to call it a day. It finally stopped around dark, too late to go back to work.
 Today is cloudy and cool, expecting some rain mid-week, the just cool and clear fall temps. Hopefully I get another good working weekend coming up. Much to do.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

I think the roof was steel nailed over shingles. It lifted the steel. So not that bad a deal. Mother was over there today and everything seemed to be back in place.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

A nice warm day,even if I was working. I took some pallets outside and was up against the building. I bet it was 70° there,move 10 feet from the building and the temp dropped 10°.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Rain rain snow rain. That has been our weather for the last 2+ weeks. Temps in the 30s and 40s and double digit rainfall in the last two weeks. Dont walk off the gravel driveway or the sod will give way and you will be to your knees in the mud. Lots of grain crops rotting in the field, mud everywhere, once again fall tillage isn't going to happen, cover crops aren't going in, same story the last few years. 

Bricklayer51

windy windy it does not seem to stop smoked some sausage yesterday had a hard time keeping up with the temp took a hour longer the maples are almost bare

SwampDonkey

Ljohnsaw

Was real windy on Monday, nothing yesterday or today but PG&E is planning on another "safety" power shutoff for an area further up in the Sierras.  

Brought my little genny down to run my refrigerator if needed.  The only thing I could find on my fridge is 5.2 amps!  I guess those new linear compressors don't pull too much - hoping my 800watt generator can handle it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim_Rogers

They cleaned up that three that fell on that blue car in the photo I posted on the 17th.

Here is a shot of the car:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

We have been kinda wet here. But has not been that cold. I have seen rain and wind this time of year and I can't put on enough clothes to be warm. A sweatshirt is almost too much. That will be a changing any day.

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

Is that the Prius that hauled the heavy oak load? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

chevytaHOE5674

Close to 2 inches or rain since 8am this morning. Temp is 35° so there has been some ice and snow mixed in as well. Ugly ugly weather. At this point it needs to get cold and freeze up, that's the only way a guy will be able to walk off the pavement without waders on at this point.

SwampDonkey

We had probably 1-1/2" of rain yesterday according to the local weather. But was sunny today and winds swung around to SW. Probably got to 60F.

thecfarm

Another warm day. T shirt,cutting wood and sweating,not too common this time of year.

SwampDonkey

50's here, but still warm when swinging a brush saw. Lots of sun. Rain coming though. :)

thecfarm

Yes,I got that rain a few days ago. That was a cold rain. More like it at this time of year. We was on the road yesterday and drove into many areas that was a heavy mist throughout the day,going there and on the way home too.

chevytaHOE5674

18° this morning and looks to be another nice cold day ahead. Had cold but sunny weather the last 2 days, it's been nice. Still too wet to walk off the pavement but at least it isn't raining/snowing (until tomorrow that is). 

Unless the cold persists and the snow stays away no harvesting, or fall tillage is going to take place around here. Most  loggers are sitting at home because even the sandy/gravel soil jobs are too wet to cut currently.

SwampDonkey

We had two days of that mist here, but the tree trunks were dry, just some wet in the fir and old dead beech leaves. Man, did I say beech. This place is a beech thicket. I bet you could could easily count 200 stems in a 5 foot radius. I can only cut 50m x 40m in 8 hrs and 2 gallons of gas through the FS560 clearing saw. :D Wicked. Down now to a skeleton crew and two of them been sick. Been a one man show this week so far. A month ago one fella quit, had enough of the beech. :D

Thank You Sponsors!