iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Square foot gardening

Started by SwampDonkey, August 12, 2013, 05:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't call my garden a raised bed garden, the 3 areas are really just framed in. So we'll call them square foot gardens, only they are 32 ft2 each. ;D

Been putting dill weed in the salad all summer pretty much, been eating beats, carrots, onion, hot peppers for a few weeks now. Have been eating cukes and maters for a couple weeks. Just started on the string beans. I've picked probably 12 maters off three plants. Can't begin to eat'm, as I don't make a meal on them. But sure are sweet and nice. There are a lot more that are orange right now. English cukes of all kinds, probably at least 10 there now on 7 plants that I set out. The bell peppers are about have sized up right now, they are slow. But, have had lots of the yellow hot long ones. That's pretty much all I grow for stuff. The parsnip turned to wood and went to seed. Can't seem to find good parsnip seed no more. Onions are as big as baseballs, about time to pull them. ;D

food6 food6
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Looks well done.  My garden is long gone.  Way to hot now. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

We tried mel's recipe last year, and to say honestly, we went back to the rows and roto tiller, a bit slow due to back surgery, but, much better in my opinion, I have seen great results, just not for us,  nice looking crop for sure!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Nice looking crop.Lots of people are having trouble with thier tomatoes turning red here. We closed the veggie stand and went and brought a guide wheel for my sawmill. We stopped at a few other veggies stands. The only ones that had ripe maters were the ones that had them under plastic. My green peppers are doing the best of anything. I ran the lawn mower through my beans about 2 weeks ago. Last year I planted beans about once every 2 weeks, had them to sell all summer and early fall.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Looks great SwampDonkey, the hail a few weeks ago didn't help ours any but we're still getting a few tomatoes and cukes everyday, most of the squash survived and the pumpkins are just starting to turn, the beans and snap peas never stood a chance.

SwampDonkey

The jalapeno peppers seems slow, but they now are setting up and a lot more blossoms. Had spinach, but it went to seed quick, didn't harvest much. I think that has to be used up in the cold part of summer. Once the heat sets in, it's gone to seed. Swiss chard would be better.

Not many around here that get July ripe Tomatoes. Most folks' maters are still green around here. Had ripe ones here since July. I was surprised the 'Scotians' ripened up in July, they are usually late. My 'big beef' I was not surprised since they had maters on them when set out.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Axe Handle Hound

Nice looking vegetables there SD.  Those onions are impressive!  I built some raised beds this year for the first time after 9 years of tilling the ground in our normal garden.  I wouldn't say we used the square foot method, but we did plant fairly tight as we wanted to make the most of the limited space.  Hands down, the boxes outperformed our normal garden.  I am still picking snow peas and normally I'm lucky if I get one paltry crop.  We have cucumbers growing out of our ears and all kinds of other leafy greens.  I'm definitely sold on using this approach and will be building more boxes.  No tilling, no countless hours weeding.  On a whim this year I also stretched an old tarp over our in-ground garden and we just planted tomatoes right through it.  I wasn't sure if it was going to be a disaster, but it has worked really well.  No weeding and no watering necessary.   As an added bonus, the tarp keeps the soil off the tomatoes so they don't get tobacco mosiac.  I'd recommend it if you have an old tarp you're willing to part with. 

Thank You Sponsors!