iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Video Of Sawing On Our LT-15

Started by YellowHammer, June 03, 2020, 09:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I was digging through some old videos and came across one of me, my wife, and my daughter sawing a log on our LT-15 many years ago.  It's grainy, and I can't believe how slooowww the mill cut compared to the one I have now, but some things never change, including near the end.  We all got a good laugh and my daughter suggested I put it on the YouTube.  For what its worth, it wasn't staged, including the reactions of my daughter and wife.  Its was just a moment caught on video that was pretty funny.  

LT15 Humble Beginnings - Sawmill Fail - Hilarious - YouTube

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Lol.  Forgot the doohickeys.  I may have done that recently.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

I got a kick out of that.  I love their embarrassment!  Classic gold!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

John S

What kind of trailer setup did that LT15 have?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

KenMac

I now feel better about my sawmilling abilities. There may be hope for me yet!! :D
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

jbjbuild

That was great!, Thanks for sharing
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

K-Guy

I noticed you were a big help to them turning that log!!  ;D :o

Should't this be in the jokes section??  ???
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

boardmaker

Great video.  I should have expected some humor.

That's great you guys can laugh as a family.  My brothers and I probably would have said big boy words and fought over who was going to put the log back on the mill.

Old Greenhorn

Boy, when those gals throw a log, they really throw a log!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

I think Resonator is on track with my thinking. You can tell those ladies at AU they teach the forestry students the process works better if you leave the log on the mill. :D I guess at UA do things a little differently.

Not that any of the rest of us have ever done anything like that either. ::) I am just impressed you could get the ladies helping with the milling. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

WV Sawmiller, I learned that technique from the Auburn extension class "How to Saw Logs for Fun and Profit."  It was a correspondence class and they didn't mention a thing about the doohickeys needing to be up.  

Those doohickeys will always get you in the end.  Sometimes I forget to put them up, sometimes I just cut into them.  I can just remember hand cranking that thing, hour after hour, but I really enjoyed that mill.  

Stan, I was supervising!  See how well that turned out? 

John S, I built the trailer and did a bunch of mods detailed in an old post of mine.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WV Sawmiller

Robert,

Are you sure you didn't attend in person wearing a pink pachyderm shirt? :D :D

It's funny when somebody else does it. Not so funny when I do it especially with a customer I am trying to impress. In a case like that all you can do is say " I just wanted to show you what happens when you don't use the mill features as designed."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

You get more help than I do on my mill!!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Durf700

that was awesome!  it looks like you all were having a good time also.. to me thats the best part.  enjoy milling.. make a little cash.. and stay in a bit better shape!

thanks for posting your video!

YellowHammer

Yes, we had a lot of fun with that mill.  It was a good learning experience, and was so much faster than my old chainsaw mill.  As I watched the video for the first time in many years, I was amazed at the "production rate" compared to what I had gotten used to with my LT40 and LT70.
YellowHammerisms:

stanwelch

LOL. Loved the video !!  

And I want to thank you for the timing. Yesterday I was loading a log with a tractor. Just as I got to the mill I thought of yellowhammer -  yup I forgot to raise the backstops. Without you I surely would have dumped the oak  :o 

Stan (LT15)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

CCCLLC

You just made everybody feel better about their milling short comings.

Wintergreen Mountain

Thanks for posting that video YellowHammer.  I saw it  yesterday and really smiled and laughed Hard. 
   Thought of it a lot of times today also, Laughed and smiled and grinned. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I have never rolled them over the back before but have forgot to slide my ramps out and dropped them between the deck and mill. Bout the same thing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

farmfromkansas

I made the mistake of oiling the backstops on my MP32.  Found that there is a reason for the linkage to be stiff.  Rolled a log onto the mill and the backstops fell down and the log went off the back side. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

doc henderson

I forgot to raise my log stops, and saw it, but thought I could place the log gently with a grapple bucket.  off the back it went, and some energy chain parts later, back in business.  now I raise the log stops before I turn off the machine when I finish a log, in preparation for the next one.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

I think I rolled a log off that mill twice.  Not really a big deal because there's nothing for it to fall on and hurt.  I eventually built a lever that is by the operator station that links all the backstops together, so when I pulled the lever, all the backstops would pivot up or down.    

As you say, not the same situation if there are hydraulics, electrical tracks, etc.  A log off the wrong side can really do some damage.

YellowHammerisms:

customsawyer

That is one thing I can say I've never done. I've never videoed myself rolling a log off the other side. I've done it many times, just never with a camera rolling.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

Actually, I'm in training to be a famous movie producer, just like Steven Speilberg, Thurston Howell III, or Mister Rogers.   :D :D  I'm taking a correspondence course from the "Acme School of Moving Pictures."

Incidentally, I had to change career paths because I couldn't quite make I through "Chapter 2, Backstops," from the "ACME Correspondence School of Sawmilling."

YellowHammerisms:

GAB

I wish you better results with ACME than Wylie E. Coyote has or had.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

slider

Robert over the years i have done that a few times . now if i could just remember to drop the toe rollers after using them i will be fine. cut a wedge yesterday .
al glenn

Walnut Beast

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 03, 2020, 09:45:31 PM
I was digging through some old videos and came across one of me, my wife, and my daughter sawing a log on our LT-15 many years ago.  It's grainy, and I can't believe how slooowww the mill cut compared to the one I have now, but some things never change, including near the end.  We all got a good laugh and my daughter suggested I put it on the YouTube.  For what its worth, it wasn't staged, including the reactions of my daughter and wife.  Its was just a moment caught on video that was pretty funny.  

LT15 Humble Beginnings - Sawmill Fail - Hilarious - YouTube
That was a funny😂. Do you always have the girls doing all the hard work 😂😂😂

Lostinmn

I can't wait till I reenact that with my LT-15, hope my video is not running  ;D.  But if it is, I'll be sure to post too!

mart

That's something I haven't done. Today.

Of course I haven't fired the mill up yet today either.

It's happened a few times to me. That was a fun video. Thanks for sharing.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Thank You Sponsors!