iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CANT HOOK or LOG PEAVEY for turning logs

Started by alabama, February 05, 2017, 11:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama

From those that have experience with the two, which would you recommend if you could just purchase one to use when CSM to help with turning logs on the CSM? Also I was looking at the Stihl versions and they come in a few different lengths.

What a Super Bowl game!

Thanks
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

WV Sawmiller

Have not used a peavy hook yet but have a very good Logrite cant hook I am well pleased with. My next hook will be a Logrite peavy hook as I can see extra benefits from the point when moving logs in the yard.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

longtime lurker

I got both. Can't hook is better around the mill, or with bigger logs because it bites with both tip and hook so less inclined to slip.
Peavy  is better around a deck of logs as you can put the point between logs to separate them, and drive the point into the ground to steer or stop a rolling log.

I also have hydraulics... I prefer them to either the above because I am fundamentally lazy. :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Nomad

Overall I prefer a peavey.  The point is handy for prying when that's necessary, and as mentioned it can be stabbed into the ground to help in steering a log.  It's also nice to stick it in the ground and have the tool free standing instead of leaning it against something or having to bend over and pick it up from the ground.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Weekend_Sawyer

I like a peavey because I stick the point in the ground and lever logs to turn them. It also works well on a wood deck.

I use logrite tools because they work real well. A buddy of mine has a logrite cant hook and likes my peavey better so I bought him a replacement point to convert his.  ;D

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

I have 4 Logrite Cant Hooks that are most often used.  There is no point but I turn logs with them daily.  The Peavey gets used maybe once a month.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

The Stihl's are made by logrite. Same tools, different colors.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandsawmill14

i no longer keep a peavy for the same reason mm mentioned :) i have a stihl cant hook and it works great whether orange or blue they are great hooks :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bandmiller2

Which ever one is nearest when I want to turn or roll something. As the name says cant hook for cants, on the carriage, peavey for log handling. Each will do the others job. I would get a longish peavey and a short cant hook. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Darrel

My dad had several peaveys and I got use to stabbing them into the ground so they'd be handy next time I needed them. My father-in-law had cant hooks and one day he asked me why I pounded them on the ground before I dropped them  :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Gundog

I have used both for turning logs they are the same. I worked as a power lineman so we were turning power poles daily but I see no difference in turning a log or pole. The point is nice to stick in the ground and have it close by when needed rather than laying on the ground or to sometimes catch a sling or choker to pull the end under a log. You can use a peavey to pry logs apart but that is also a good way to break the handle. You can rock the log up on the point to make a space to slide a sling or choker under the log also.

Careful using either they can be dangerous we had a guy knocked out cold rolling poles off a cargo trailer the pole had a little dog leg in it, he rolled it towards himself and the edge of the trailer and it came all the way around and the handle hit him right between the running lights. If I had my choice I would take the peavey not because it turns logs better but because it has the point for the reasons I mentioned.

Mike

Ox

You better just go ahead and buy one of each.  :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

alabama

I was just thinking the same thing. Purchase one of each. It appears it is a preference. Thanks fellas for all the help. As usual you all are great!

Magicman

Be sure to tell Tammy at Logrite that you are a Forestry Forum member and that we sent you.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I grew up with a peavey,the pointed one. Pryed alot of logs apart with that point. It's a region thing. Just like red hotdogs and grits.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brucer

The original question was about buying one tool for turning logs on a chainsaw mill. When I first started chainsaw milling, I had a genuine Peavey brand peavey. It was great for shifting logs around on the ground but didn't work as well for turning logs when I had them up on horses.

When I bought my manual Wood-Mizer I bought a 30" Logrite "mill special" cant hook and that became my go-to tool for working on and around the mill. Even now that I have a hydraulic mill that 30" cant hook is the one that sits beside the mill. I keep a 60" Logrite cant hook in the back of the truck for rolling really big or sweepy logs but I don't have to pull it out very often.

My 60" Logrite peavey sits at home where I might have to maneuver a log in the bush. The old Peavey is retired -- I removed the hook and attached it to a chain for dealing with difficult logs (with my tractor).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

alabama

I appreciate the good feedback. I'll get both and try both. I have John Deere tractor with a grapple that will allow me to load the log onto the M8, M7 or whichever I decide to go with. I just need to turn the log a few times. Thank you for the response.

terrifictimbersllc

Different length tools have different size hooks on them, and are suited for different diameter logs, so this variety might be more useful than whether it is a peavey or cant hook.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

alabama

I did not know that so thanks for the intel.

WDH

When I ran the manual mill and had to frequently turn logs on the mill, I used a cant hook because I sawed a lot of good quality, furniture grade, walnut, cherry, etc., and the cant hook does not mar the cant to the extent that the sharp point on a peavy does.  People won't buy boards with holes in them.  It all depends on your plan and strategy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: WDH on February 10, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
When I ran the manual mill and had to frequently turn logs on the mill, I used a cant hook because I sawed a lot of good quality, furniture grade, walnut, cherry, etc., and the cant hook does not mar the cant to the extent that the sharp point on a peavy does.  People won't buy boards with holes in them.  It all depends on your plan and strategy.

I imagine your customers will be disappointed to hear that you are no longer sawing "good quality, furniture grade, walnut, cherry, etc.".  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

WDH

Yes, I have had to rely on some Mississippi sawn lumber.  Well sawn, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alabama

I'm looking at the Stihl products and placing an order on a cant tomorrow and see how it works out. From reading it appears that the size makes a difference. So I'm uncertain which length to go with. I'll be using it for general purposes of saw milling and on the land. I have a John Deere tractor with a grapple so for me picking up the logs will be a breeze but I need something to turn the logs on the sawmill.

btulloh

48 works pretty good for me.  Not big enough for real heavy or big logs but I find it's better to use the fel or winch for those.  I have a 36 that i use a lot, but not for turning logs on the mill.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!