iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best bang for the buck for sharpener and setter?

Started by Durf700, June 29, 2020, 10:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durf700

so I have been thinking about getting a sharpener and setter for my blades.  it seems I have been running my blades way to long and causing fractures I assume..  I have broke several blades that I got back after getting sharpened locally..  not sure if its because I caused stress fractures from running to long or what.. but it seems to happen about every other blade I put on after its been sharpened by my local sawyer.  so now I am changing out the blade after about 4 hours of sawing which for me is about 300-400 board feet.  I was leaving them on for a full day usually on my LT 15 I had previously.. which is the re sharps I have been breaking now.

I want a good but affordable sharpener and setter so I know I am cutting to the best of my ability. 

I have looked at : timberking full auto sharpener for 995.00 and the cooks single tooth setter for 425.00.

my thinking is I can set up and sharpen a blade automatic while manually setting another blade at the same time.  option number 2 was the BMST50 sharpener and setter from woodmizer which is 1525.50 and you can only do 1 thing at a time with it.. and its manual. 

anything better please let me know.  I am new to this and don't mind investing some money, especially if I have to pay to sharpen 4 or 5 bands a week... but need to keep a reasonable budget. 

Southside

Well - for starters 300-400 ft on a used band is actually where you should be pulling it off to sharpen it.  Lot of variables in the mix but 500, maybe 700 ft on a brand new band, then 400 ish after that is about average, especially the 1.25" bands you are running.  Yes, you will see stress cracks in the gullet from running a dull band, but you will also see those from just the end of flex life in the band, it is just physics.  

Personally, my bands die one of two ways - they break, or they hit enough metal that it's not worth trying to fix them.  I don't think you save money sharping your own, but like anything else, you have the option to better control the quality of what you are doing, should you chose to invest the time and attention to detail.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Unclefish

I was in same boat as you. I have probably wooped most of my blades running them to long. After talking to few guys on here I ended up just getting the BMS250 reason for me I only use woodmizer blades and my shoulders are pretty much shot to manual crank it around. Watched all videos on setters and cooks dual setter seemed to be for money best brand for buck that actually you can see what your set with gauges and looks smooth hopefully won't be to bad on my shoulders. I couldn't justify 3k on woodmizer setter automatic. Also I don't think I will set between every sharpening. Think either way you will go you will always be able to sell . So I talked my self into spending 1500 more than I wanted to but I think I will not be dissatisfied. And I am still waiting on oil for sharpener and the setter to come by freight. 

alan gage

Quote from: Durf700 on June 29, 2020, 10:37:48 PMI have looked at : timberking full auto sharpener for 995.00 and the cooks single tooth setter for 425.00.

This is what I did. I've been happy with it so far. Glad you posted this today because it reminds be I need to order a new grinding wheel.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Durf700

Quote from: alan gage on June 30, 2020, 09:50:38 AM
Quote from: Durf700 on June 29, 2020, 10:37:48 PMI have looked at : timberking full auto sharpener for 995.00 and the cooks single tooth setter for 425.00.

This is what I did. I've been happy with it so far. Glad you posted this today because it reminds be I need to order a new grinding wheel.

Alan
you purchased the timberking auto sharpener adn cooks single tooth setter Alan?  how do you like it? 

Durf700

alan gage

I'm happy with the combo but I have nothing else for comparison. The sharpener won't follow the full profile of my 4* Kasco blades in one pass so the first pass catches the front edge of the tip, down the gullet and about 3/4 of the way up the back side. I adjust the 2nd pass so it catches what the first pass missed. Maybe I'll try grinding a little on the cam sometime. Will probably manage to make it worse.

I don't have a permanent location for them yet so while it would be nice to set blades while the sharpener works I generally set a bunch of blades at once and then sharpen.

The sharpener isn't as automatic as you'd think it would be. Seems you're always making little tweaks as it goes around. You certainly don't just walk away while it works. I think that's pretty common for a drag sharpener though. There is a definite learning curve and I'm still in the middle of it. Just got them last summer.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

woodyone.john

If I told you get a sharpener that runs cbn wheels it seriously limits the selection.
Check out someone who has one to save yourself the  hassel of trading up later.
Yes expensive to buy but that's once.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Stephen1

Spend the money on a CBN grinding wheel sharpener. You will not regret it. 
AG you should never tweak on the way around, as you will never end up with a consistent sharp blade. Set it and let it go around. always from the same start point. Tweak it and send it back around. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

farmfromkansas

Cooks has their combo on sale, cat claw sharpener, single tooth setter for 2190, and if I read correctly you get free shipping.  That is probably the best deal out there, for a quality grinder and setter.  I know others like the WM cbn sharpeners, but for poor boys, Cooks works pretty well. And they include 2 cams.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Gere Flewelling

I also have a Cook's Cat Claw sharpener and a Dual Tooth setter.  I have used it successfully for three years now.  It does not use fluid and works in a shop that is 70 degrees or -20 degrees if you want to sharpen in those temps.  Sharpening blades other than what your cams are designed for takes a little planning as you need to order additional cams wait for them to be delivered.  I have had to send them a blade to measure and make a cam as I didn't know what brand or model it was.  Not impossible, just need to plan ahead.  Great company to do business with.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Gere Flewelling

Another important item to purchase is the Cook's hand held tooth set checker.  It helps keep the dual tooth setter measuring accurately as you have something to compare your dial indicator readings to and make proper adjustments to your setter. It also helps to determine if you need to set a blade prior to putting it on the setter.  Other companies may make a similar devise.  Cook's was the first I came across. A good investment in my opinion.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Banjo picker

Quote from: Durf700 on June 30, 2020, 07:38:56 PM
any pros and cons on this combo?
I can't give you any feed back on the sharpener you asked about,  as like Gere F I have the Cooks products.  I have both Cooks setters.  I just upgraded to the dual tooth setter a few months ago. The single tooth setter is extremely accurate.... it is also extremely slow.  I have not been able to duplicate the accuracy of the single tooth unit with the dual,  but I am getting better, and when dialed in it is super fast, and easy to operate.  I doubt it will ever be as accurate as the single tooth setter though.  The single tooth measures each tooth as you set it, so if it needs more a slight adjustment and you are there.  If it's too much, take a pair of pliers an remove some.  I also second Gere F. as to the benefits of the Cooks set checker.  Some blades just dont need setting until the next sharpening.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Durf700

the cooks set up for sharpener and duel tooth setter look great!  but the pricing is up there..  I only saw 1 or 2 days per week and figure on a total of 4 blades per week.  I have about 50 blades currently.  20 are new and the rest are resharps that only have been sharpened 1 time. 

does anyone know of any of these cooks sharpeners and setters for sale used?  that would be nice..   or a used timberking auto sharpener?  I like new but would like to be able to save some money.. 

thanks

farmfromkansas

Sawmill exchange has a sharpener once in a while, have seen a sharpener in the FF for sale section. But if you buy a new one, probably will last a lifetime.  I will wait to see if the accountant tells me to buy something or pay more tax.

Durf700

do you guys also roll your bands to make sure they dont have a twist in them or is that not needed?

Chuck White

I assume you're talking about using a band roller!

IMHO, bandrollers are something you either swear by :) or swear at ::)!

I have never rolled bands, and really don't see a need to!

I don't do a heavy grind on my bands, just enough to make sure they're sharp, and I've gotten as many as 16-18 resharps on some of them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

I have a roller, and it's set up where I can roll one in about a minute, but I don't roll very many.  Several things could come into play as to whether you will need bands rolled.  This is just my opinion, and it's worth just what you are paying for it.... If you are running big bands on small & narrow wheels with lots of tension, you are going to change the molecules around in the band and it may need help getting back to straight.  I run 1 1/2 half bands on Cooks 26 inch wheels with the least tension I can and the belt no slip and I usually don't roll them.  If I were trying for high production and running them with more tension, I might need to roll more often.  If a blade is cutting good when I take it off, I don't even check it.... just check to see if it needs setting and sharpen it if it don't.  Probably don't matter about the roller anyway unless you are gonna make one as @KenMac has said.... he bought the last one Cooks is gonna sell.  Woodmizer don't believe in rolling at last I heard.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Durf700

well I'm still on the hunt for a used cooks cat claw sharpener and single or duel tooth setter.. I only found one  but I'm 12 hours away so i'm passing on that. If I don't find anything I guess I will be pulling the trigger on the sale Cooks has.  if I can swing it I will go with the cat claw and duel tooth setter.  worse case I get the single. I think the Timber King sharpener would be great but I saw Chuck Whites Cat Claw and it definitely looks like it would last forever!

if anyone comes across either brand used that can ship let me know!!

thanks

slider

You may want to check out timber wolf suffolk machinery. I have a cooks dual tooth setter and used it for years . I like the dial indicators . with the suffolk you have to use the hand dial indicator and it takes more time to dial it in but it is more accurate . I just went back to the timber wolf . I did not check but i wish they were a sponsor here.
al glenn

farmfromkansas

Just checked the Timberwolf site, and they offer blades, sharpening services, a dual tooth setter, and cams for both Cooks and Woodmizer sharpening systems.  But did not find a sharpener.  Price of their dual tooth setter is 1145, and the cam is 42 each. So if you use their blades, you can get a cam to sharpen their blades but have to use a Cooks or WM sharpener looks like.

Durf700

Tristen

First let me just say,  I am not trying to promote wooland mill or my YouTube channel. That being said, the Woodland mills tooth setter is cheaper than most others.  The automatic blade sharpener is also cheap compared to the others, then compare the prices of replacing grinding stones and woodland mills is a great buy.  I have just posted a youtube video on blade setting with woodland mills,  I have only set a few blades myself it is very easy and it will allow you to play around with the degree of your set,  find what works best for you and your type of logs.  I have not yet tried to set a blade for speed however it is less than 5 min and it is easy after the first time you do it.  
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

Durf700

I purchased a BMS 250 automatic CBN sharpener through woodmizer! I love it!   works great!

Wintergreen Mountain

Good for you!
   You won't regret it.
   I bought a Cat Claw set a couple of years ago. Works perfect for me.
  It is what you have and getting used to it that counts, Not the Brand you get.

Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Thank You Sponsors!