iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where have all the chipmunks gone ?

Started by sprucebunny, May 22, 2019, 05:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Sung to the tune involving flowers...

We have no chipmunks at all. Usually they start coming out when the snow is almost gone. There also aren't any red squirrels.

I think the long winter with thick ice under the snow has smothered the poor little things. I know some people don't like them but both are part of the food chain so what will foxes, owls, raptors and coyotes eat ???

Anyone else missing the little stripey guys ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

terrifictimbersllc

We saw red squirrels near Rockwood, ME this week. Ornery as ever. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Here we have Chipmunks, Red Squirrels, Gray Squirrels and Black Squirrels!

And the Black cat is still coming around, hoping that the electric fence around the garden patch isn't hot anymore!  electricuted-smiley 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

They are showing up at the hardware store.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

They are with the cowboys Paula Cole was singing about... 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GAB

Sprucebunny:
Bring your traps and plenty of bait as there is an excess of them here.
The neighbor says many are failing there final exams in swimming as they are fishing many out of the pool.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sprucebunny

Southside- I was thinking of the Pete Seeger song recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary in 1962 on thier debut album. Are they the same tune ?

Where Have All the Flowers Gone? - Wikipedia

I'm not the only person in this area who has noticed they are missing. We had our first snow that stayed on Nov. 1. That usually doesn't happen until mid December. They probably hadn't stored enough seeds or smothered/drowned under the slush and ice.

Thanks for the replies, everyone  :)

Woodpecker52

I would think they burrow into the earth or fallen or hollow trees and do not lay around in the snow or ice.  I assume they also hibernate like bears etc.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

From the look of my tractor wiring I think they like farm equipment to over winter in also.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Old Greenhorn

They treat my woodpile like a condominium complex ;D. Once I got the woodpile re-stocked I saw a lot of activity, but then a new black cat showed up and started hanging around driving our house cats nuts. I saw that cat trot off with a little guy in his mouth one evening. That cat had an orange tabby buddy he bummed around with, I saw them both down in the woodlot and caught the black one on the game cam more than a few times. Haven't seen much of them in the last week or so though. Maybe they ran out of chipmunks. I kind of like the little guys, but the wife does not. The only 'harm' they seem to do is leave small nests in the woodpile here and there. The wife said something about her plants, but I dunno. I think the rabbits and the deer pretty much cover the plant issue.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

I noticed the same thing with them disappearing. then I saw fisher tracks in the pond. I am pretty sure I figured out where they went.

Dinnertime!

The fishers seem to have moved on, because the population is coming back pretty strong.

Lko67

Fishers,hawks,bobcat got all my small game about done turkeys also.  Had 3 or 4 drop off cats running around the bobcat got all them.

Chuck White

Chipmunks do hibernate and they come back out in early Spring!

I've noticed (in this area anyways) that domestic cats will kill chipmunks, but they won't eat them!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sprucebunny

Well, there are neighbor cats and the population has been dwindling but I'm amazed to have none and no red sq. . As I said, other people in this valley have noticed it so it's not just because the cats are extra good hunters right here !

Chipmunks around me have holes in the ground. They aren't very fond of heights or tree climbing like the squirrels.
Chipmunk - Wikipedia

I always figured they woke up a little in winter: otherwize, why would they store so many seeds ???

In summer they do spend lots of time in a firewood pile that's been there a couple years.

Chuck White

Oh, if we get a warm spell during the Winter, they will come out of hibernation!

bags

No chipmunks, ground squirrels or mice around here--- the barn cats (pic) eat just about everything that's a bit smaller than them--- got another herd of wild ones out by the sawmill.

Logger RK

I must say I havnt seen any this spring yet either.But I have Oreilo's at my feeder. They skipped coming around last summer. 

sawguy21

Come to think of it I haven't seen a chipmunk for a long time. Brown squirrels are plentiful though. We are seeing racoons which must be escaping high property prices around Vancouver. ;D They were virtually unknown in this area when I was a kid.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Wow, that's a lot of cats, I count 25 in that pic!

Overall, glad it's you and not me!  ;)

No doubt about it, you are a cat person! ;D

LeeB

That is a lot of cats. Please tell me have had them fixed. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bags

The coyotes and lions clean out around half of them through each winter--- population control--- then they start all over again in the spring. 

thecfarm

I had a cat that I would see have a chipmucks in his mouth weekly.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

There are swarms of chipmunks everywhere here right now. I walked out to my wood storage shed yesterday and one was sitting on top of a pile of basswood. He ducked down between the stacks when I got close.

Today I went to put out some minnow traps in my creek so I can go crappie fishing in the morning. I leave my traps on the creek bank tied to limbs and trees and my bridge and such convenient to the pools I am going to put them in. When I picked up my first trap to bait it today this little guy was in there. He did not look like he had been in there long as he was still very active and healthy looking. He took a long leap off my front porch when I freed him.

I guess the lesson learned is to be sure the traps are open so critters don't get trapped and die in them. I had a 2' water snake in one I had left in the creek. He seemed happy to leave too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!