Started by sprucebunny, May 22, 2019, 05:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Didn't you have trouble last year too?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

25 now.    Not last year. I'll have to look it up on here. seems like maybe 4 years ago?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Don't tell PETA in The Outdoor Board

October of 2015, so almost 4 years ago.  Looks like the total for that year was 118.1

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

btulloh

"Where have the chipmunks gone?"

They've gone to Jeff's house.
HM126

Jeff

Woodpecker52

need a few rattlesnakes to take care of them.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Jeff

Peter Drouin

Something going on over there. maybe someone on your street feeding them and let them loose in your yard. Pith anyone off over there. :laugh: ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I have mentioned it before. I work in a hardware/grain store. We have chipmunks. The grain brings them in. BUT Jeff seems to have more than we do. We might catch 28,but that is all summer,not in 2 weeks. :o  I had a cat that would catch them things. Seem like once a week he would bring me one. That bucket does work well. That is the only trap that really works for the store. Them critters are smart.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

breederman

I cought one stealing bird food this morning,set a trap and got 6 in 10 hours.
Together we got this !

Jeff

WDH

What do you call a conglomeration of chipmunks?

A whack. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Jeff

Its a nice day, but not a good day to be a destructive chipmunk running around looking for something to get into at Forestry Forum central. I didn't check my traps yesterday. Today there was 9 in them. The count now stands at 60.

sprucebunny

They're back  :) Have seen a few of the cute stripey guys in the last week. I have to wonder if they scampered here from somewhere else or if this is a new generation from the few surviving the winter.

I think all the hawks, owls, coyotes, foxes and cats will keep my area from being as overrun as Jeff is.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

In my trapping im seeing 2 distinct generation sizes. Im catchong more little ones now than older ones

SwampDonkey

Every spring or June here there seems to be something after the young squirrels. I don't know if it is a male squirrel doing it or if they are succumbing to exposure when leaving the nest. I usually see a couple dead young ones out in the lawn, but found one that crawled into a corner in the barn and died, well I smell it. I know it is a squirrel because I seen it's tail in the corner of the barn door jam. It was there all the time I mowed the lawn, and that is an hour. Never moved. It wasn't there yesterday, so it crawled inside and died is my guess. I think long periods of cold rain takes a few.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

I still haven't seen one red squirrel ! No where in my travels. I thought I heard one chattering at my land further north. The red squirrels are pesky and sometimes try to get in my house but the chipmunks are no trouble here.

Maybe it's safe to fill the birdfeeder again even though the birds don't need much help this time of year. ( I stopped filling it a year and a half ago because of rodent problems. )

SwampDonkey

I only put out feed in the cold months with snow on the ground.

Texas Ranger

Jeff is creating his own dog food line.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

Walking down my long driveway the other day my kid pointed out a chipmunk that had gotten hit by one of our cars.  That was a first.  Never seen roadkill like that on my driveway.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

I suspended my trapping the first of July at 78. Started seeing the little _ _ _ _ _ again so set my buckets up about 6pm tonight. I am at 81 now at 8:30

sprucebunny

I still haven't seen or heard a red squirrel but there's a couple of chipmunks around.

SwampDonkey

There was a family of red squirrels this summer, but I think something as cleaned up on them. I smell a dead one in the barn. I have not heard a 'chatter box' in the yard in weeks. There are a couple chipmunks that stick mostly in the back yard under the yellow birch plantation. Or in the natural snow fence (brush) along the line. Oodles of ripe red berried elders now, so they are stuffing their cheeks. :D

What I have discovered recently is a brood of brown bats in behind the fascia overhang on the southern gable of the barn. Been seeing droppings below by the door and they are not squirrel or mouse. Noticed them the other day gathering in the barn just before sunrise. Good sign there are bats still around, but be nicer if they was up to the woodlot in the bat house by the beaver pond. :D The barn gets near 100 F in the attic/hip roof part of the barn and the heat holds there even on a cool day.

Thank You Sponsors!