iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY cantilever rack?

Started by Satamax, July 22, 2019, 05:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Have you ever made your cantilever rack for storing wood? 

I wondered if a welded one, out of I beams would be safe enough. 

Thanks a lot guys. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

jmouton

not yet satamax,   but i have wanted to buildne for all my concrete form boards,,   just have a big and long i beam on ground and then your upright on an angle back then your shelves ,  and the connect them togather  with re rod on diagonal  , so they dont fall over sodeways ,,,,,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

JRWoodchuck

You would have to keep up on painting it or it will stain your Tamarack that you mill. If you don't care about stain I don't know why it wouldn't work. Really depends on how big your I beam is and how much wood you want to stack. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Satamax

Over here, most people use stuff like this. 

Light ones have a 700 pound per arm rating. Heavy ones, the usual ones are 1 ton per arm. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

YellowHammer

Those racks are really nice, I would only be concerned if a homemade one didn't have the proper welds.  Otherwise, I think they would work well.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Not sure if you would have the same options there but here a hardware store distribution center closed up last winter and I bought 20 sets of the racking you are talking about.  22' tall for $200 each.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!