iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Fish?

Started by weimedog, April 21, 2021, 08:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

samandothers

That left a mark on finger and wallet.

tule peak timber

Yahoo! This site needs more fish posts like yours.Fun to watch and get motivated. This time , next week , I hope to wet a line with as much luck as your "first fish"Cheers ! 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Jeff

A poem. Nice fish. You wish. self directed poetry.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

My favourite way to fish, an ultralight and 4# line. We were out on the weekend but the fish aren't moving yet.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on April 21, 2021, 11:04:05 AM
A poem. Nice fish. You wish. self directed poetry.
Asked to clarify. I wish to catch a nice fish too some day.

tule peak timber

The ultralight gear in small streams was where I ended up after years of fishing.2-4 lb test on micro rods against fish that a good deal of the time were too small to eat but VERY satisfying to coax out of a riffle in 12 inches of fast water. I have posted various pics from Idaho, Montana and Wyoming in the last couple of years here on the Forum.
The trip I am taking Monday will be to Kodiak where I am going to try surf fishing. I used to surf fish as a kid and boy has the gear changed! I had to spend a couple of hours with a rep at Tackle Direct in NJ to come up to speed on what current surf fishing gear consists of. I was lucky to get a guy who gave me good advice on rods and reels and they are most certainly at the opposite end of the "micro" spectrum.
I also am going to try something new called crab snaring. My visit to Kodiak is before the fish are moving in the creeks and the rivers and I am looking to target oddball species overlooked by all the salmon crazy folks.
We shall see. 8)

Jeff

I'll give you a fishing video SORTA. :D. Just a family clip    The date has been set. June 28th. Stranded Rock. Middle of lake superior.

loneliest place in n. America gift. - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stranded+rock+lighthouse+lake+trout

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 21, 2021, 02:10:21 PM
My favourite way to fish, an ultralight and 4# line. We were out on the weekend but the fish aren't moving yet.
M thoughts too! I grew up in N. Fla and used to bass fish till one day I realized it was getting to be too much like work. I started fishing with ultralight tackle and 6 lb line with little jig spinners for bluegills. I found a half lb bluegill fought just as hard on ultralight tackle as a 5 lb bass on medium tackle - and there were a lot more half lb bluegills out there than 5 lb bass. I started having a lot more fun.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

stavebuyer

I started a new pursuit this spring. I am trying to catch and identify all of the species of fish(including all the minnows and darters) living in a stream on my farm. So far I am up to 20 species and think I will end up with more than 50. The smallest are caught by sight fishing with miniscule # 30 hooks . While no issue to "land" it takes a great of finesse and patience to hook them . More so than most of the larger common  "game" species.  I am having a lot of fun in a serene setting. Here a few pictures;

Striped Shiner

<

br>
Northern Studfish

Fantail Darter

Headwater Darter

tule peak timber

Very cool pics of your native fishes. I love where I live ----but there is no water!

weimedog

I think the only fish in my pond are bull heads and bass. Tried to introduce grass eating Carp, haven't seen a one yet. Same with perch & sunny's. Think we just fed the bass :)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

sawguy21

:D That is what my buddy accuses me of.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

YellowHammer

I brought these bass into my pond from the Big G, last week.  We have been catching maybe 20 a trip, so the fishing has been pretty good.  My live well really only likes to bring three fish home at a time in prefect health, then I put them own a cooler and carry them to the pond.  

This way I know when I have a break from sawing, I can go to the pond and get my line stretched.

Here's also a nice smallmouth I caught from Tim's Ford.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SwampDonkey

The little creek up the road usually has a few speckled brook trout a little later on. Nothing bigger than 8 inches since the creek is quite small. And we have otter.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stavebuyer

A nicely colored Northern Studfish;

And used one of the Bluntnose minnows to catch this Smallmouth.

Sauna freak

My first fish of 2021...Jan 1!  It was delicious!
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Chuck White

Nice one Sauna freak! 

Only drawback I've heard is that Northerns are tedious to filet!

I want to get into a few Walleye this summer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Quote from: Chuck White on May 16, 2021, 02:07:04 PM
Nice one Sauna freak!

Only drawback I've heard is that Northerns are tedious to filet!

I want to get into a few Walleye this summer!
It's a dandy Sauna freak

Chuck,  i think  Northern's  are as good or better than walleye for a fish-fry  
They're worth the extra fillet effort
D

gspren

I've caught, cleaned and eaten a bunch of northern pike! The method we use gives 5 fillets per fish, not bad after you've done a few, there are u-tube videos so I won't describe it here.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

YellowHammer

We went fishing yesterday, looking for some decent smallmouth and got in front of some.  This was his first smallmouth of the year, and his personal best.  He was very happy. 

I have a rule on the boat of "landing nets not allowed" which spices things up, and after several drag pulling runs at the boat, with 6 lb line, he said he had to close his eyes and look away when I reached out to lip the fish for him.

It was a lot of fun for both of us and you can tell by his smile he was a happy camper.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

tule peak timber

Are you eating these guys?Please share any recipes! Nice fish !! 8)

barbender

My Dad will push walleye to the side and take the northern pike. They are tasty, especially out of cold water.
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

Not me, I'm not much of a freshwater fish eater, except crappie, the odd catfish and sauger.  I pretty much let everything go its merry way.  

We stock our freezer up with saltwater fish, such as snapper and grouper. 
YellowHammerisms:

Chuck White

Bass season doesn't open in NY until June 15th!

No law against catching them early, just can't keep them!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!