iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gooseneck Trailer

Started by Paul_H, January 20, 2005, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockn H

That's a good looking trailer, and a real big improvement. ;D  Congratulations. 8) 8) 8)

Roxie

ATTA BOY!!!  Looking good!   smiley_thumbsup
Say when

Quartlow

Ok I may be stupid here but why did you put safety chains on it?
Is canada differant? I havent seen one made here that has any. at laest the ones sold in Ohio and PA.
The 30 footer I bought in GA and sold  here didn't have them and SC DOT "tried" to inspect me  :D So it was a non issue there.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Paul_H

Quartlow,

I put the safety chains on mostly because Roxie and Cowboy Bob told me to  ;D

All the trailers i've seen around BC have chains,even the dinky little utility trailers.Not to sure about the other Provinces and States.

Glad you all are back from Sawlex cause it was really quiet around here. 
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Roxie

They are required in Pennsylvania on all trailers, I don't know about other states requirements, but they are a DanG good idea.  Pennsylvania requires you attach them in a cross over pattern on a Gooseneck. 
Say when

sawguy21

The safety chains are mandatory here and in British Columbia. Some people put light ones on to please the cops reasoning that if the trailer breaks away they don't want to be attached to it. That is dangerous and will get them in a heap of trouble.
We had problems with the post and ball setup on a shop trailer. It was an all steel horse trailer conversion and by the time the dust settled it weighed 14000 lbs. It was miserable to tow until we discovered the post was flexing causing the truck, a single rear wheel Chev 1 ton (yeah, I know what you are thinking) to bounce. We gussetted the post and problem solved. I tried to get a bigger truck but management would not budge.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Quartlow

Ok now I'm on a mission. I know of 3 factory built goosenecks that where bought in PA and reside there and there isn't any safety chains on them   :o  :o

Appalachian trailers are built just 20 minutes from here, I've been out there a couple times and I don't remeber ever seeing any chains on their trailers and they ship them all over the U.S.

Now I have to do some snooping  ;)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

J_T

Maybe you don't have to have chaines to sell em just to pull them . :D :D Most truckers know maybe more than some dot guys or gals will tell you a grade stamp will be on binder and saftey chains  ::)
Jim Holloway

Brian_Rhoad

I have an Appalachain gooseneck and it came from them with chains. I think it is a Federal DOT regulation that all trailers that hook up with a ball mount must have safety chains. Some states require them to be crossed, some don't. Crossing them with a gooseneck isn't as important as with a bumper pull. The crossed chains on a bumper pull create a cradle to hold the front of the trailer up if it should come unhooked.

J_T

Quartlow just looked a few things up Ohio even has a law on hauling christmas tree's ::) The one you are intrested in is chapter4513 # 4513.32 Those are Ohio statute numbers. Shucks they even got a picture of the tree they gunna hang ofenders from. :D :D
Jim Holloway

Roxie

I found this information under Tennesse law which says that ALL states require safety chains on trailers.

Operating motor vehicles on public roads may
be one of your biggest liability exposures.
While you may not be able to prevent all
mishaps, you must do everything possible to
protect yourself and others. One easily
preventable type of mishap is separation of
trailers from towing vehicles, resulting in
spectacular crashes and often to tragic
results. In fact, Tennessee's safety chain law
was passed as a direct result of several fatal
trailer separations.
All states have require safety chains for
wagons and trailers used on public roads, and
commercial vehicles are required by federal
law to have safety chains. Safety chains are
intended to keep the trailer under control and
minimize losses if you make a mistake or the
coupler fails.
Say when

J_T

Yep a few years ago they didn't look for a plate with numbers hanging on the rear either . ??? Some around here are finding out now that the state wants all the money they can get ::) Lot's folks around here have used their tail gate for a safty device I think chaines would work better :D :D
Jim Holloway

mometal77

I responded late to this before you spit and polished this old beast.  I have never seen one with a ball hitch difference i would say to a ball compaired to the normal set up on a truck and trailer is this trailer if you flip the trailer comes off with a normal jaw like set up the trailer flips your rig goes over too.  Went to get a cdl last yr.  And a trailer like this last auction i went with a reciever set up went for 2500.. Nice looking trailer wish i had one i need to build one  :D.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!