iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut to exact length, how much extra would you charge.

Started by Banjo picker, February 21, 2019, 10:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I went up in the barn loft and got down one of my radial arms that were in storage.  This one I bought from Deb's dad when he shut down his hobby wood shop.  I paid $50.00 for it and I didn't even really want it, but it was too good a deal to pass on.  The main thing I was whining about was the fact that I would have to fab up a stand for it.  Then I remembered a pile of small supports that was given to me by my cousin a good while ago.  I was getting some items from him and he insisted that I take a little pile of legs that were laying around.  I told him I didn't have a need for them, but he said in a born southern, but lived in Chicago most of his life drawl ... "take em your gona need em one day, and besides if they stay here they will just get run over or sold for scrap.  He died on us about 2 years ago.  I sure do miss him.

I found two in the pile that worked perfect.  Adjustable height and all.

It took all of about 30 minutes to get them bolted to the bottom of the saw.  I took some plywood and made a table for it.  Bolted the first sheet to the saw and glued and clamped the second piece to the top.  Got it setting in between my first and second roller table.  

My father in law had it running on 110, and I changed that to 220.  Made a big difference.  It would be nice to have a bigger saw, but that one does ok for what it is.  I put a 60 tooth carbide blade on it as well.  I put inserts in the concrete floor, so if I want to take it out of the line there won't be a trip hazard.  

There is the load ready to be delivered in the morning.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Percy

Interesting thread. I find accurate trimming to be a bit of a pain as well but once I trimmed about 500 pieces of 1x6x6 for a very elderly woman who was building her own fence and didn't have anything more than a handsaw and a hammer. I did it no charge and for the 4-5 days it took her to pick up her order, I could have sold it 20 times. Something about a nice stack of accurately trimmed boards that is appealing to slot of customers. I plan on eventually building some sort of contraption to trim fast and accurate. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Southside

Quote from: Banjo picker on February 28, 2019, 09:23:34 PMMy father in law had it running on 110, and I changed that to 220

Can you explain a bit more on this.  Is it a multi-tap motor or did you do something outside of the box?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Banjo picker

Southside there is a small plate on top of this motor that comes off.  Held on by a screw.  Had to blow out all the dust that had accumulated over the years.  There are a couple blade connectors and information as to where to hook them to have either 110 or 220.  All I had to do was move two connectors to different blades.  

When I Had it running like it was, on 110 it would take a few seconds to get up to speed, now on 220 it's instant gratification.  

I don't have a clue as to how old this saw is, the newer ones may not have this set up.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

Percy, I am not as nice as you, cause I charged them extra to cut them, and if they want anything bigger than a 2x8.... it will be even more.  Banjo

Percy

Quote from: Banjo picker on March 01, 2019, 08:31:15 AM
Percy, I am not as nice as you, cause I charged them extra to cut them, and if they want anything bigger than a 2x8.... it will be even more.  Banjo
The stack on your trailer is nice ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

DWyatt

Quote from: Banjo picker on March 01, 2019, 08:26:25 AM
Southside there is a small plate on top of this motor that comes off.  Held on by a screw.  Had to blow out all the dust that had accumulated over the years.  There are a couple blade connectors and information as to where to hook them to have either 110 or 220.  All I had to do was move two connectors to different blades.  

When I Had it running like it was, on 110 it would take a few seconds to get up to speed, now on 220 it's instant gratification.  

I don't have a clue as to how old this saw is, the newer ones may not have this set up.  Banjo
All of Gramps old Delta Rockwell tools have this same capability. Just an extra badge on the motor that shows the two wiring options. They're all set up to run on 110 now but I'll be changing them to 220 when I move them to my shop. Supposed to run a lot more efficient as well I believe.

Thank You Sponsors!