iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belt or Suspenders

Started by Patrick NC, May 17, 2020, 08:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Just curious if anyone wears suspenders when they are working.  I started wearing them about 2 years ago and find it much more comfortable than wearing a belt.  Part of that might have something to do with not being quite the same shape as I was 25 years ago. 🤔 I find that a belt just doesn't do the job anymore.  

Any other opinions?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

thecfarm

I wear them when I am working outside. I clip my chaps onto the suspenders too. Keeps me from pulling the chaps up. 
I wear them at the hardware store too. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

I shunned suspenders for may years in favor of a belt, but when I did the renovation to my body about 4 years ago, I put in a bay window way too big to use a belt anymore.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SawyerTed

One or the other but not both! :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Patrick NC

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Magicman

Are yours the correct color??  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

When working I actually do use both, helps with gear hung from my waist and I find it balances things out better. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

Suspenders since back trouble almost 40 years ago. Got a lot of laughs back then. 
You can wear heavy pants or thin cool ones with loose waist [like bib overalls]. Much cooler in summer.

Old Greenhorn

Yes. :D ;D

Usually just a belt, but depending on how my pants fit (snug, loose, or baggy) and what work I am doing, I choose one or the other. Suspenders mostly for the weight of the stuff on the pants, my felling belt is heavy and tends to pull everything down, so suspenders on my pants help. I may add suspenders to the belt for the same reason. Always braces on my chainsaw pants (not suspenders).
 MM, these are the right color, but perhaps the wrong church?

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

Quote from: Southside on May 17, 2020, 09:51:26 AM
When working I actually do use both.
A real safety conscious individual!   ;D   :D
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

LeeB

I use suspenders on my tool belt. 98% of the time I wear bibs so I suppose you could say in a manner of speaking I wear suspenders then too. With jeans I wear a belt but rarely wear them anymore, only when I 'dress up'.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

samandothers

Old Greenhorn, Happy Birthday!  You and my daughter share the day.   Though you do have her by 30 years!  ;D

Do y'all find suspenders causing wear, scratching of leather or vinyl seats/chairs?  That has been my primary hesitation.  

trapper

both  I wear the perry suspenders that hook to the belt.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: samandothers on May 17, 2020, 01:39:35 PM
Old Greenhorn, Happy Birthday!  You and my daughter share the day.   Though you do have her by 30 years!  

Do y'all find suspenders causing wear, scratching of leather or vinyl seats/chairs?  That has been my primary hesitation.  
If I am wearing suspenders or braces I am working and sure don't sit down much. :D I too have those that hook onto the belt. Nice for taking on and off as the requirements change. Got those from deluth trading post

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

lxskllr

Belt. I never got on with suspenders, and don't really like my pants attached to my shoulders, so no overalls or anything aside from necessary cold weather protection, which hasn't been necessary in many years now.

Happy birthday OG and Sam's daughter!

Sedgehammer

If just one, there's no comparison. Suspenders all day, every day. Much, much, much more comfortable. Belt pinches too when bending and can lead to irritation. With belt works good when carrying tools, but can be left looser. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

thecfarm

I am outside working with my suspenders, not in the house. But yes, I bet those clips could do a job on a leather chair, or even a wood one too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

olcowhand

When working with tools attached to my belt (Building or Logging), both. Also, when hunting- I typically wear insulated pants (heavy) and stuff attached to my belt... Both.
Otherwise, it's always a belt.
As an aside, in my other life (Automotive Engineering..)- "Belts and Suspenders" is a Design Validation term (slang?) that means we assume the design can accommodate all potential contingencies. Just a note to highlight that other disciplines "metaphorically" acknowledge that both are usually not a necessity, but always a preferred option when the situation calls for it....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Southside

Quote from: GAB on May 17, 2020, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: Southside on May 17, 2020, 09:51:26 AM
When working I actually do use both.
A real safety conscious individual!   ;D   :D
GAB
If I was then the L4 and L5 fractures would not have happened, necessating the use of both.  :D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

51cub

Suspenders or overalls. No clip suspenders here, buttons only
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Ron Scott

Usually wear both with work clothes and tools carried on belt.
~Ron

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Ron Scott on May 17, 2020, 08:55:44 PM
Usually wear both with work clothes and tools carried on belt.

Me too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sixacresand

Pretty much have to depend on a loose belt and suspenders.  Since my waste has more girth than my hips.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

lazyflee

Good timing for this post. I'm a belt guy, but my covid 19lb gain has got me thinking, and my belt a little tight. I wear bibs (overalls) when I ski and I love them. Gonna order up some suspenders and give it a go.

Raider Bill

I wear braces, (suspenders with buttons) to keep my britches up and a loose belt to hold the multitool.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!