The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer  (Read 7996 times)

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer
« on: November 21, 2020, 07:53:24 PM »
I heard good things about them. Does anybody have one? Anybody have a hydraulic beaver tail or tandem disc brakes on there trailer. Any thoughts. Looking at a 32 or 35í. There 12 ft beaver tail has a 10k lift capacity 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 09:19:20 PM »
Whats the tare weight?
Psalm 37:16

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 11:49:45 PM »
Hard to find the trailer weight. The gvwr is 25,900 on the one Iím looking at FMAXX212. They say they have one of the best weight to strength ratios. I asked the guy that picked my loader up about Diamond C and he said absolutely a nice trailer with the engineered neck

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 11:55:36 PM »
Was looking at the 210 before the 212 but you canít get the hydraulic over disc on the 210. The 210 is a 25k trailer but has 10k tandems and the 212 has 12k

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:31:24 AM »
 Do you have a CDL or some kind of exempted use?  Im gonna guess the trailer is 8-10k empty.  Hooked to 8 or 9k truck, a class D license only has room to haul foam or feathers.  

Psalm 37:16

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
FWIW, If you go over 26,000 lbs combined door stickered weight of both the truck and trailer, whether loaded or not, then instate and interstate you'd need a CDL to haul for business.

I had a 25,000 lb class trailer, but decided to sell it to keep from getting a CDL Class A.  The guy who bought it from the dealership where I sold it later got a mega ticket and the cops subsequently impounded the trailer in Chattanooga.  He decided to sell the trailer to help pay off the tickets and not have to get a CDL Class A.

If you are under 26,000 lbs door sticker combined weight truck and trailer, but over 10,000 lbs combined, then you can can cross state lines without a CDL Class A, but still need a DOT registration for business.  I got my big ticket(s) and education when I was hauling my trailer empty, and crossed from Alabama to Tennesseee.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
I had figured I was going to need to get the CDL. Going to be doing some custom mulching besides being on the farm so it probably would be wise to have one 😂. The machine and head is around 15-16k so I doubt I can slip under the 26k

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 09:48:04 AM »
 smiley_thumbsup
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 11:14:03 AM »
Walnut Beast
I have been around the hyd disc brakes for a number of years. Some have been ran by air semi some by electrical controller and some vacuum. They work good and seem to last pulling a lot of country roads. About four years ago I was like you and thought I wanted a trailer with 12,000 axles and a hyd power dove tail. I was tired of ramps. Thought I will sell several trailers and get one. Around here load king diamond c and PJ are the ones you see. Started talking to folks that had them and two things kept coming up. The axles are too far forward and loading equipment in the rain or snow is not good. Several guys had put steel grate on the floor to help. A friend of mine buddy had one at the time so I called him. He does pasture cleaning and snow removal with skid loaders so he is loading and hauling all the time. He had already had a worker dump a skid loader off the trailer while loading. He told me to come hook on to it one weekend and try it out as he had a new one with power ramps coming and was trading the trailer off. I am glad I got to try one. I mostly was going to haul my skid steer with attachments on it. I could see when its wet that tail was going to be a problem and yes the axles are too far forward. I ended up not buying one.   

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 12:37:06 PM »
YH, see where they got you is you thought you were doing everything right so you weren't afraid to visit with them. I always go under the assumption that no good will come of me having a visit with them, so I avoid scales and such. Someday they will catch me doing random roadsides, and they will treat me poorly no doubt😁 That must've been a brutal ticket being that guy had the trailer impounded and had to sell it to pay the fine! How much did they skin you for when you were cited?
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 12:49:38 PM »
YH, see where they got you is you thought you were doing everything right so you weren't afraid to visit with them. I always go under the assumption that no good will come of me having a visit with them, so I avoid scales and such. Someday they will catch me doing random roadsides, and they will treat me poorly no doubt😁 That must've been a brutal ticket being that guy had the trailer impounded and had to sell it to pay the fine! How much did they skin you for when you were cited?
Thatís what I always have done in the past was to avoid 😂

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 01:03:09 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone. I definitely got some thinking to do. Hedgerow they make flooring called Blackwood itís wood infused with rubber. Donít know how durable it is but Dimond C and PJ are using it. Watched a video on a slick deck vs Blackwood. Looked impressive

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 01:18:34 PM »
@ Walnut Beast- you have some plans that sound like they're longer term. 
A contract mulching business and ongoing farming operations seem to have a 5 to 10 year window, or longer.
Around here, PJ trailers and most others, develop bad rust from road salt in a few short years. Your profile on the Forum marks you up as being in the NE. If thats the NE States, then you have have the same rusty issue.
Do you consider the extra cost of a galvanized trailer a good investment?
LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 03:06:58 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone. I definitely got some thinking to do. Hedgerow they make flooring called Blackwood itís wood infused with rubber. Donít know how durable it is but Dimond C and PJ are using it. Watched a video on a slick deck vs Blackwood. Looked impressive
This guy had had a rough bed liner sprayed on the floor and you could see it hadn't lasted. He did had wire mesh down to help but in snow it still would be slick. I have been around that wood infused floor with rubber in stock trailers and wasn't impressed. If I were you I would give those mega style ramps with the hyd fold a hard look at.  

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 07:23:57 PM »
My next trailer I will be looking very hard at galvanized. My PJ trailer looks terrible. Well built trailer, garbage paint. It would be better structurally if they left them unpainted than the garbage powder coat that had on it. All it does is hold the salt and moisture behind.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 07:41:09 PM »
I had a McElrath trailer custom built. Dual tandem 24,000lb with removable log bunks built in. I haul logs lumber bobcat and other equipment on it. Works great. They put the heavy expanded metal on the dovetail and about the rear foot of the flat part of the deck for me. NO slip issues any time. I asked about hydraulic disc brakes. He said hydraulic yes. Disc NO. too expensive to work on. I got hyd drum brakes and couldnít b happier with em. Iíll NEVER go back to electric brakes

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 09:39:01 PM »
Did some talking and pricing. Hedgerow your right on the Blackwood. They said the best traction on the hydraulic dove is the metal on the outsides with 5/8 bars welded all the way up. Priced with Hutch heavy duty adjustable suspension. They say itís pretty darn good. Axles are spread a little further apart also. Talked about paint and they claim itís super duper 😂. Does seem like they have a good process. The guy sells Big Tex and says itís about 10 to 1 that people are going with the Diamond C even though they are more expensive. Guy said he would throw the DOT inspection in and the black wheels if I ordered this week 😂. The way I had it with everything was 22,390. 230/80R16 14 ply tires. 

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 11:57:26 PM »
I have a Brute 37í dual tandem gooseneck trailer with a hydraulic dovetail and electric hydraulic disk brakes. I specked it out in 2005 and had it built by Brute. At the time, most of Brutes employees were ex PJ employees, and Brute specialized in hydraulic dovetail trailers. It cost me 16k in 2005.

I like the system a lot. My trailer weighs 10K lbs empty, has an 11í ramp and was designed for a 20k payload on the deck. It has a torque tube up front that runs almost all of the way from the front of the trailer to just in front of the axles.  The braking is the best that Iíve ever used (including air brakes.)

There are two hydraulic pumps; one for the ramp lift and a separate one for the ramp lock. It has two deep cycle batteries linked together with 2/0 welding cable and an 8K Pierce winch up front on a Reese style hitch insert mount.

If I were building the same trailer today I would go with higher capacity axles with 17Ē tires. Aluminum would be nice too.

The trailer has been a real enabler. I can load the front with logs while carrying a skid loader at the back.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 12:14:32 AM »
Very impressive setup👍. Thanks for the input. Especially on the hydraulic dove tail and the disc brakes. Iíll have to check on the separate pumps. Also Iíll check on the tires. They had some options there to. 

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 05:51:00 PM »
I have a PJ and a Load Max both are well built but the paint is a joke on both of them and the wiring was atrocious.

Next trailer I want something with paint that'll last and automotive wiring with weather pack connectors and such (no crimped butt connector garbage).

As for the tilt deck either get bar stock welded across or like I did is bolt snowmobile tracks on the deck. Only way I can anything on the deck if it's the least bit wet or frosty. Remove a few bolts and can have a perfectly flat deck if need be.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Gooseneck Trailer

Started by Paul_H on General Board

37 Replies
Last post June 08, 2005, 03:28:04 AM
by mometal77
xx
26' gooseneck log trailer. SOLD

Started by oakiemac on For Sale

10 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 08:21:35 PM
by oakiemac