iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer

Started by Walnut Beast, November 21, 2020, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on March 16, 2021, 09:04:41 PM
Well Ive been kicking around the idea of getting a new gooseneck also. I've read this wealth of knowledge topic and many others on the internet and can't seem to find what I want to know. First off I have a class A, and Michigan goes by tire weight. 700 pounds per inch of rubber. And it has to say on side wall. Tandem duals can haul 32k once you go to 3 or more you go down to 13,000 per axle. So a tri axle dual is 39k and a tri singles is 36k. I want three axles for the added brake power. I've always heard tri axles suck. Get a tandem dual. But with these heavy 17.5s now a days and heavy frames, torque tubes 12,15,16k axles and suspensions wouldn't a tri axle be stable also? Does anyone know of a tri axle with the 6,000 pound 17.5s?
You don't need triples to get a 30k and 40k trailer.  You can go to the Diamond C site and build your trailer from the different models 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 16, 2021, 10:29:44 PM
Well Ive been kicking around the idea of getting a new gooseneck also. I've read this wealth of knowledge topic and many others on the internet and can't seem to find what I want to know. First off I have a class A, and Michigan goes by tire weight. 700 pounds per inch of rubber. And it has to say on side wall. Tandem duals can haul 32k once you go to 3 or more you go down to 13,000 per axle. So a tri axle dual is 39k and a tri singles is 36k. I want three axles for the added brake power. I've always heard tri axles suck. Get a tandem dual. But with these heavy 17.5s now a days and heavy frames, torque tubes 12,15,16k axles and suspensions wouldn't a tri axle be stable also? Does anyone know of a tri axle with the 6,000 pound 17.5s?
You don't need triples to get a 30k and 40k trailer.  You can go to the Diamond C site and build your trailer from the different models
You can get a 307 DC Gooseneck that has 3 7k Axels  that is a 24k GVWR trailer or the 212 Gooseneck in dual tandem without 17.5 wheels that's 25,900 GVWR or the 212 Super Single same trailer and axels but with 17.5 wheels and the GVWR is the same 

firefighter ontheside

I could do a red trailer, but I really like that silver truck.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

That silver is sharp 👍. That would be a tough decision on a color even know there are several choices besides black 

Walnut Beast

Here is another 307 in the dump version that a guy ordered and just got in that is 24k GVWR. He's got a bunch of options on here also torsion axles and disc brakes to name a few. He does bumper pull because this is how he rolls

Old Greenhorn

One nice thing about Red is that it is easy to find when you park it in the woods, or a parking lot during a blizzard. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 16, 2021, 10:44:12 PM
You can get a 307 DC Gooseneck that has 3 7k Axels  that is a 24k GVWR trailer or the 212 Gooseneck in dual tandem without 17.5 wheels that's 25,900 GVWR or the 212 Super Single same trailer and axels but with 17.5 wheels and the GVWR is the same
A tandem dual has 4 brakes I want 6. And if I ran singles I have to have the 17.5 to meet enough weight per axle. I want to know about stability not weight. The diamond c with single 17.5 appear to have the same frame/axles as the dually, as the tires sit in. That would not be as stable as tires out at the edge with wider frame rails. Duals are a waste in Michigan if you have a combination axle. You can have ten tires on one axle and only haul 13,000 on it. (If in a tree or more combination)  Only good thing with duals is when you blow a tire you can limp it on one. 

Walnut Beast

You can spin it anyway you want but I know one thing in almost every state that hotshot guys are running in including your state there are two weights they look at GVWR of your tow vehicle and GVWR of your trailer. Your tires should have the correct tires for your GVWR. That's why if you look at a 30k or 40k Diamond C 216 trailer it comes standard with the 17.5 wheels. Just curious have you ever run hydraulic disc brakes on a trailer ? 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on March 17, 2021, 06:12:08 AM
Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 16, 2021, 10:44:12 PM
A tandem dual has 4 brakes I want 6. And if I ran singles I have to have the 17.5 to meet enough weight per axle. I want to know about stability not weight. The diamond c with single 17.5 appear to have the same frame/axles as the dually, as the tires sit in. That would not be as stable as tires out at the edge with wider frame rails. Duals are a waste in Michigan if you have a combination axle. You can have ten tires on one axle and only haul 13,000 on it. (If in a tree or more combination)  Only good thing with duals is when you blow a tire you can limp it on one.

If your so worried about stability you can get the triples in the step deck like this out to 53' 30 or 40k and the 312 Gooseneck out to 44' at 30 or 40 k. There seems to be plenty of guys hauling max trailer amounts and beyond everyday that are pretty happy 

Firewoodjoe

That's exactly what I want but in Michigan that trailer can gross 39,000 and 39,000 also with singles. Providing the tires will hold the weight. If I ran 17.5 that would give me 36,000. And it gives the three brakes. No I have not ran the electric over hydraulic. I have a three axle air over hydraulic. And no the Michigan dot does not care what ford or gm or dodge says the truck can haul. When I bought my first gooseneck which is a tandem dual I ask a officer. He said do you have a class a. I said yes. He laughed and said you can haul way more weight than you should. And told me then a dual truck and dual trailer with 16s could gross over 42,000 depending on there ply rating. I'm not trying to argue about weight laws. I've been there done that. I want to know if anyone out there knows a wide frame 3 axle heavy ply singles are stable like a dual. Not trying to start something here lol

Walnut Beast

He said he's got 22k on the deck and trailer still is keeping the arch 

mike_belben

Joe.. I have 3 tag trailers, a triaxle eager beaver single and an 8 wheeler with inners and outers sorta like econoline multimax.  Those are on dexter 14.5 open hole wheels.  I also have an interstate 18DT with dual tandem 235/85/16s on 10k dexters. All are about the same length and rating, pintle, electric brakes, beavertail and ramps.. Between 96 and 102 wide.

The interstate is the heaviest by far and goes around a bend the smoothest.  The triaxle has the best brakes but takes a lot of throttle to jackknife into a hole loaded.. I mean put it in low range and it sounds like a ship hull groaning against a dock to shove the thing.. Just tons of angry metal sound and tire scrub.  It also has the least up and down hitch rocking because the axle spread is so supportive.  The tail never grounds out either.  But its got 2 less tires to carry the load and theyre gonna scrub much harder than any other so youre wise in wanting very high ply tires with minimal sidewall height.  And always max inflation or the 17.5s will peel off in a jacknife when getting low.  Sizes ending in .5 have no safety bead.  

While the brakes are better on my triaxle, theres more of em to maintain.  My 8 wheeler is even worse... Its got EIGHT backing plates and i did them all but the braking honestly isnt any better than the triaxle.  Theres always one or two drums out of round that are backed off to not skid. 

I wouldnt hesitate about another triaxle and wouldnt bother with another multimax style.  The interstate is my favorite though.  It is all around the cheapest to maintain and heaviest built with parts still available from interstate.. but at 6k empty its too much tare weight for anyone without an A license. 

Youre correct to obey the DOT and not the manufacter or the internet.  They wont bail you out when DOT writes you up.  The bridge formula in your state will dictate what you can pull, and every axle's placement is considered, on the trailer and power unit.  Its to spread the load across more ground.  The longer your truck WB the more you can pull as well. 
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

I have both a dual tandem and a three axle single wheel both are pintle hitch. The dual tandem has 20,000 pound axles with electric brakes. Its a heavy trailer. I haul a Cat 941B track loader on it. The triple has three 7,000 pound axles. They both seem stable going down the highway. Have a friend that has done hot shot work for well over twenty years and he went back to three axle singles years ago. He says cost per mile is less on the three axle. He runs electric over hyd on his trailers. Both of my trailers were used when I bought them so I didn't have a choice on how many axles. Both were good deals and work well for what I do with them. 

Firewoodjoe

I do think the tri axle with good single tires would be the best if not needed to turn 90s all the time. I don't think I do that often. I also like what mike said and less forward backward rocking motion. I never thought of stability that way. Prolly make you pickup ride much nicer. 

mike_belben

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 18, 2021, 10:14:38 PM

Ive never seen an arched gooseneck, ever. 
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

I guess you haven't seen a Diamond C goosenecks 😂

Walnut Beast

The hotshot guys that own them are talking about it once in awhile. Maybe there smoking some really good stuff 😂

Firewoodjoe

Mike they are. Arched just like a semi trailer. There not cheap either. And there's a 2019 for sale here with small rust color showing 🤷🏼‍♂️

Walnut Beast

Quote from: mike_belben on March 19, 2021, 03:36:14 PM
Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 18, 2021, 10:14:38 PM

Ive never seen an arched gooseneck, ever.

With over 40k on the deck not so much 😂. The older Diamond C trailers had the straight I beam and all the newer ones have the arch

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on March 17, 2021, 12:58:24 PM
That's exactly what I want but in Michigan that trailer can gross 39,000 and 39,000 also with singles. Providing the tires will hold the weight. If I ran 17.5 that would give me 36,000. And it gives the three brakes. No I have not ran the electric over hydraulic. I have a three axle air over hydraulic. And no the Michigan dot does not care what ford or gm or dodge says the truck can haul. When I bought my first gooseneck which is a tandem dual I ask a officer. He said do you have a class a. I said yes. He laughed and said you can haul way more weight than you should. And told me then a dual truck and dual trailer with 16s could gross over 42,000 depending on there ply rating. I'm not trying to argue about weight laws. I've been there done that. I want to know if anyone out there knows a wide frame 3 axle heavy ply singles are stable like a dual. Not trying to start something here lol
The guys that have the super single trailers say they are absolutely stable and that's coming from a guy that has both tandem dually and a super single deck over Gooseneck. This DOT stuff gets crazy different in different states from what different guys say 😂

Walnut Beast

DC the first to put the arch and maybe the only to put it in their trailers and back in the Fleetneck days they where one if not the first to put the torque tube in their trailers 

Firewoodjoe

Walnut are u affiliated with them by any chance 😂

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: mike_belben on March 19, 2021, 07:44:09 AM
Joe.. I have 3 tag trailers, a triaxle eager beaver single and an 8 wheeler with inners and outers sorta like econoline multimax.  Those are on dexter 14.5 open hole wheels.  I also have an interstate 18DT with dual tandem 235/85/16s on 10k dexters. All are about the same length and rating, pintle, electric brakes, beavertail and ramps.. Between 96 and 102 wide.

The interstate is the heaviest by far and goes around a bend the smoothest.  The triaxle has the best brakes but takes a lot of throttle to jackknife into a hole loaded.. I mean put it in low range and it sounds like a ship hull groaning against a dock to shove the thing.. Just tons of angry metal sound and tire scrub.  It also has the least up and down hitch rocking because the axle spread is so supportive.  The tail never grounds out either.  But its got 2 less tires to carry the load and theyre gonna scrub much harder than any other so youre wise in wanting very high ply tires with minimal sidewall height.  And always max inflation or the 17.5s will peel off in a jacknife when getting low.  Sizes ending in .5 have no safety bead.  

While the brakes are better on my triaxle, theres more of em to maintain.  My 8 wheeler is even worse... Its got EIGHT backing plates and i did them all but the braking honestly isnt any better than the triaxle.  Theres always one or two drums out of round that are backed off to not skid.

I wouldnt hesitate about another triaxle and wouldnt bother with another multimax style.  The interstate is my favorite though.  It is all around the cheapest to maintain and heaviest built with parts still available from interstate.. but at 6k empty its too much tare weight for anyone without an A license.

Youre correct to obey the DOT and not the manufacter or the internet.  They wont bail you out when DOT writes you up.  The bridge formula in your state will dictate what you can pull, and every axle's placement is considered, on the trailer and power unit.  Its to spread the load across more ground.  The longer your truck WB the more you can pull as well.
Michigan's a axle state. They figure axles load causes more damage than gross weight. 164,000,11 axle, one tandem three 9 foot spreads. And guys still complain lol other states are running half that for the same pay! I 🤔 

mike_belben

Yeah i want no part of a michigan rig.. Ive saw a few crazy canuckish things out on the big road. None of that will ever make the turn into my yard.

No, ive never seen a diamond C and im still waiting to see a pic of an empty one that has a visible arch.  

Are they fabricating curved framerails from plate and strips for flanges or are they stressing standard mill shapes to create the arch?

Regarding stability, a tri axle single tire rig has the main framerails quite a lot wider apart and thus doesnt need the mountainous stack of leafs to counteract body roll from a disadvantaged inboard position like tandem duals do.  I also have a 30ft goose on torflex.  Honestly ive never felt unstable with any of them.. When you get too heavy its the truck that starts feeling scary.  A good press into the brake pedal and you see the back fender get into your mirror and have to countersteer.  At 42k gross my single axle 2ton truck gets shoved around like that. 

I hauled one load of stone on a steel closed tandem 48 behind a daycab tractor that ended up having a cracked neck and it was screwy..  Thats probably the fishiest thing i can remember due to trailer issues.  A 13'4" high stack of 5x10 concrete mesh panels topped all of my former sketchy.  That one was like a rowboat in the shorebreak.  Palletized bag mulch is right there with it.

Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

I just watched a YouTube video of a guy that bought a new one. You could see the arch for sure. There supposed to be engineered frames. Whatever that means. It makes them lighter with the same payload also. Steel where it needs to be and not where it don't i guess. But from what I've seen. 20-40 grand vs 12-18 grand for others. 

Thank You Sponsors!