iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I put in 3 small sticks of maple and a bunch of aspen in on top. Well........the windows opened up. A little too much for 24F weather. ;D

Sun is out now. :) Some wind though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Looks like 6 above now, but high in the 20's later today.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Looks like 6F here also and looks like a sunny day coming. Built a fire at 4:00 am, but probably won't need a fire until 7:00 pm again with the sun out. :) Was 85F from solar heat yesterday, window was open for awhile. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nebraska

-15  here this morning hope my livestock waterers are still open.

Walnut Beast

You better check them 😊

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on February 09, 2021, 07:26:14 AM
-15  here this morning hope my livestock waterers are still open.
Man, that is downright chilly! (Now you know how MM feels when it gets down to 20. ;D :D )
 A balmy 18 degrees here this morning just beginning it's upswing, calm to 2 MPH winds out of the e-ne and beginning to pick up also. Pressure is at 30.26 and falling. A fine steady and persistent snow is falling and we just have about 1/2" on the ground. Very light and fluffy.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

woodroe

The temp forecast for the midwest to Rockies looks brutal in the coming days and nights.
Batten down the hatches, 0 doesn't seems so bad after looking at that.

Surface Air Temperature (GFS 10-day forecast)
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

woodroe

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 09, 2021, 05:45:01 AM
Looks like 6F here also and looks like a sunny day coming. Built a fire at 4:00 am, but probably won't need a fire until 7:00 pm again with the sun out. :) Was 85F from solar heat yesterday, window was open for awhile. :D
That solar heating can be tricky at times, especially as the sun gets higher in the sky and stronger.
Can go from 70 to 80 inside pretty quick . And if you have the stove going because of a predicted cloudy
day and the sun pops out for a couple hours its down to a t shirt.
Been playing this game for 30 years but no complaints, easy enough to open a door or window for some fresh air.
Like having some softwood to burn for that reason, burns quick and no coals to keep the stove heating all day.

sawguy21

Clear, sunny and -19C (0F) this morning. That is DanG cold for here! Not much snow so pipes may freeze. My buddy's logging truck refused to get out of bed even with the heater. A pot of coffee then will see if my diesel will start, no place to plug it in.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

we will be under freezing for about 10 days.  this thursday the predicted low is -11.  brrr.  winter is here!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Looks like another 6F this morning. Be leaving early for a grocery run. I think it's warm in here again, maybe it's the coffee. :)

jerry sundberg

Dang cold here this morning! At 3:30 it was -40* clear and still.
Farmall  man

doc henderson

wow, that is dangerous cold if you do not know what you are doing.  i walked across the street to a pizza place once in the winter up in Plattsburg, NY.  hands were froze as I thought I could go that distance without gloves.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

farmfromkansas

We have about 1/2" of snow on the ground here in Kansas. The temperature dropped so quickly the wheat had no chance to get used to it.  My wheat is tiny but up, wonder how much winter kill we will have.  My calf pen is watered with a tank, just add fresh water to melt the ice, cows drink from the pond, and it is frozen over, so go down and cut a hole with an axe.  Most winters don't require much ice cutting. I am unrolling a bale of alfalfa every day for the cows, they clean up every leaf.  Give them some prairie hay in bale feeders, they all seem to handle the cold well as long as they have wind breaks and bedding.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

woodroe

Quote from: jerry sundberg on February 10, 2021, 09:52:03 AM
Dang cold here this morning! At 3:30 it was -40* clear and still.
Thats some tough stuff right there, call that a 4 dog night if there is 
such a thing. 

woodroe

Quote from: woodroe on February 10, 2021, 03:31:57 PM

Good luck getting through this brutal cold snap farmfromkansas.

thecfarm

-40°   :o   Yikes!!!!
I had -3 by the time I went out this morning. Turned into a nice day at around the mid 20's. Than about noon time, the clouds came in and the wind picked up. There went that nice day. Looks like singles at night, mid 20's for a while. I guess this is our winter weather now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

-18° this morning with the wind it felt like -42°. Being outside doing chores was miserable. Could feel the cold air coming thru the walls of the house this morning. Never got about -4 all day.

Amasa which is about an hour inland from here at -33° actual temp with a windchill on top of that.

SwampDonkey

When we went to town, it was colder down there by 10F. -6F down there, you could easily tell the difference in the temperature. I dressed in wool, head to foot, and threw in a pair of Wells Lamont Thinsulate gloves. Never know when an old 17 year car is going to stop, but she never let me down yet. knock on wood. We're not getting the biting cold up here on the ridge, the low spots are 10-20 degrees colder than here. Up at the woodlot is always colder than here, lower ground.

That -40F is dang cold, had a few of them back in the 70's and 80's. Had a -50 in 2008, which was plenty thank you, that's serious. :D Been watching a young couple in Alaska that do the Youtube thing, hasn't been much colder than here, but I don't think they are real far inland. You get in some of them remote valleys up there in the interior and I bet it is severe cold. Looks like parts of Alaska has bad beetle infestations, killed a lot of nice spruce up there around Anchorage. Of course that could mean a lot of land in a certain radius up there. Anything from flat to mountain side. :D They need some of that -40F to kill the overwintering bugs, keep'm in check. Freeze dried beetle in the cereal?  ;D

thecfarm

-1 here this morning. I might and I said I might trust my cars, but you never know when another one can hit you and you are in the cold at -1. I always carry heavy stuff in my truck. Got enough for the other guy too.  ;D

Sedgehammer

was 12F here this mornin. They are saying -6 on sunday mornin. plus  suppose to get 15" of snow sunday night thru monday....... i have a heater in the tank for the critters. my live stock guardian dogs are funny. I made them a nice bedded area in one of the mobile huts and they prefer to lay outside.....

coldest i ever experienced was growing up on the farm. it was -47F, wasn't windy. coldest with wind-chill was another time, -77F. silo unloaders almost always decided to break when it was really cold. now that wasn't fun..... i froze my hands once spreading manure. i had mittens on, but didn't matter. had no choice but to finish and clean the spreader off or else a big mess the next day. cold bothered me for 20 years or so with my hands, now not an issue.
Necessity is the engine of drive

chevytaHOE5674

-16° this morning with more snow. 

SwampDonkey

Was 5F here this morning, but suppose to dip down tonight. I've heard that before out of Presque Isle weather and had no change, we'll see. We're due for a dip. ;D  But I was walking today in the wind, wool head to foot, never felt cold. I wear goggles to keep that cold wind out of my eyes to. They are UV protection to. If I heat up too much, and there's no breeze, this goggles are useless, they steam up. :D I certainly can heat up, in sunshine, climbing them hills on the road if it's into the teens. That wool coat will block some real bad cold. It ain't one of them cheap thin things from India. I wove and sewed it.  :D ;D

thecfarm

2 above and has not snowed for 3 days!!  ;D  Might be another 2 inches coming in next week.

SwampDonkey

5F this morning here and they said 2F for in town on the radio. Heat wave up here. :D Snow squalls are moving in, after they said no snow until Sunday. More accurate looking out across the landscape/sky than on a computer model. :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!