iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

Here's the edge of the dense nature pine forest I have(dominant) ngoes way back and is beautiful, I have yet to work my magic there yet but I won't be taking much standing trees down only windfall
A1

HemlockKing

A1

SwampDonkey

Last fall, I thinned on an old field that was abandoned over 100 years ago, field regrew and was logged and planted. The old rough junk pine were left like they like to do up here and a lot of fir under them pine, plus planted spruce, but not much for pine regen. ;D

It was the same on a natural cut over, lots of big pine over head, dog hair thick fir under them. I hate pine ground, I know I'm going to be thinning thick fir. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

There's moose by the herds up here. ;D

Photo above is below the house.

If you go out on Napadogan lake you see moose most days. Can watch them eat lilies.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Never got warmer than 50F, and a stiff NW wind. I was cutting firewood and a trail in all morning. That'll be access for winter 2022 wood that will be hauled this fall. I usually cut about 8 cords, aspen and softwood, some hardwood if it needs to go. I got a lot of thinning to do taking old crooked stuff. But fir and aspen split easy. Got some extra spruce rails for corduroy work to. Everything has value. ;D Enough woods walking for this week, day off tomorrow. :)

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 01, 2021, 03:47:57 PM
Last fall, I thinned on an old field that was abandoned over 100 years ago, field regrew and was logged and planted. The old rough junk pine were left like they like to do up here and a lot of fir under them pine, plus planted spruce, but not much for pine regen. ;D

It was the same on a natural cut over, lots of big pine over head, dog hair thick fir under them. I hate pine ground, I know I'm going to be thinning thick fir. :D
I don’t believe this land has been ever logged, there is old trees in there but I’d say the majority are 80 ish. We get lots of wind events here and a big one that I can see that effected my woodlot was the gale winds of 1976 . They use to do a log drive further inland from me but I think I’m too close to the coast, right off the border of my land the elevation drops 15-20 meters and it’s just mostly swampy bushy wetlands until you hit the coast. I think my land is special/unique in that sense that it avoided getting slashed from logging, it is VERY hilly too and ridgey making it hard terrain to access via machinery or ox
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 01, 2021, 04:03:23 PM
Never got warmer than 50F, and a stiff NW wind. I was cutting firewood and a trail in all morning. That'll be access for winter 2022 wood that will be hauled this fall. I usually cut about 8 cords, aspen and softwood, some hardwood if it needs to go. I got a lot of thinning to do taking old crooked stuff. But fir and aspen split easy. Got some extra spruce rails for corduroy work to. Everything has value. ;D Enough woods walking for this week, day off tomorrow. :)
The fir worthy of firewood here (Large enough)usually is full of compartmental rot, every time! They will have rot in them somewhere...
A1

HemlockKing

Here’s some photos of the aftermath of the groundhog gale of 1976, this being a weather topic thread figure you might be interested

Absolute ruins, I’m right in the area that got smoked, pretty sure areas of NB got hit too?
A1

SwampDonkey

Yes, those are some nasty events. Back in 1995 a November wind event took out the forest on the Christmas Mountains, several thousand acres.

As for fir, mostly what I deal with here is ants in the but, but some of these trees have been machine damaged to, so rot might go a little higher up. I take what I can get and let the bugs have the rest. Most of the time I just drop the but chunk and have chalk white wood for the rest. I had a real old 24' diameter fir on the road edge last fall, probably two 6' bolts left for the bugs. ;D There is another beside it, figured it might seed in the hole and I do see some small seedlings around it that had already started. 99% of the fir here isn't very old, except maybe one tree or two every few acres. The whirls are far apart and wide rings, long leaders. The ones with 3 or 4 inch leaders have to go, they're done. :)

thecfarm

Good pictures of a mess.  :(
My past family would of had a had time finding ice to make ice cream on my Grand Father's birthday today.
I can hear my Father saying this.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

Rain falling I hope it's serious, we  had 91 degrees  yesterday,  and a very very hard south wind. Dried us out big time.   My son was at a golf meet where one hole was thrown out,  the wind  was blowing the balls off of the green.

HemlockKing

Gonna be a nice day today I can feel it ;D. Gonna hammer down on the woodlot today haven't stopped the last 6 days. Make hay while the sun shines as they say. Hopefully I can get to where I want to be before it hits July heat
A1

nativewolf

Red sky at dawn..sailer bewarned
Liking Walnut

HemlockKing

Quote from: nativewolf on May 03, 2021, 06:26:09 AM
Red sky at dawn..sailer bewarned

Here's a lad going out at 6am this morning, I suspect to collect seaweed as that's what he was heading towards. Thought it was a capture of a peaceful moment, I bet he was enjoying having the job he has in that moment. The sunrise was just to the right out of picture.
A1

SwampDonkey

It was a cold night up here, not a hard freeze, but I know some places were expecting 24F. The wind howled all night and all today right off of James Bay. Did reach 58F, but all day to get there. When we get wind at night I know right then the temperature won't drop like they predict. If it were dead calm, then yes good chance, if it is one of them cold snaps. Leaves are out too much here now to get than cold. But were I was out on Skiddadle Ridge, they are 2 weeks behind our trees. Puddles were frozen in out there. Some of your southern kinfolk came up there after the civil war. There is an old cemetery north of there on the next ridge. Lots of dead from small pox. It got that name because eventually they skeddadled out of here and retreated back south. You would to if you felt that old James Bay wind riding on the jet stream on May 1st. Get me out of here pa!!! :D

thecfarm

@woodroe, good to meet you. I know we only got a few minutes to talk at the store, but at least I can put a face to your name now. Anyone driving by Paris farmers Union in Jay ME can stop and say hello. Most times I have Thursday and Sundays off. I work at a hardware/feed store.
45° and rain tomorrow. Maybe the wind won't blow and dry it all back out again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Trending warmer here these recent days, Sunday I felt like I was working in a desert with he sun beating on me in a black t-shirt soaked in sweat. I think it hit mid 70's, but mostly highs in the low 60's and night time lows in the high 40's to low 50's. Rain came in yesterday mid-day and lightly came down until the evening over night and we have just under an inch and my tank is over full. Gonna have to add an overflow tank at some point. Supposed to stay full overcast today with a high around 60. 
 Still it's all altitude dependent, where I took my class on Friday it was spitting snow at us in the morning, then rain later, and high winds all day.
 After 3 days cutting and brushing. I need a shop day today to let my legs recover and do some saw work, finish off a bench, and organize a little. High today of 60 and I may start a fire in the shop just to dry it out a little in the morning.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

woodroe

Quote from: thecfarm on May 04, 2021, 05:24:55 AM
@woodroe, good to meet you. I know we only got a few minutes to talk at the store, but at least I can put a face to your name now.
Likewise Ray, good to meet you too, got to see a portion of my face at least.
I used that store quite often when I was in and out of the mill across the
river back in the day. Don't get down that way much anymore.
Funny our properties are probably only 7-8 miles apart as the crow flies.
Just across the Mace Rd relatively speaking.
We picked up 2" rain last storm, almost back to normal for rainfall.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

mike_belben

2 alerts and an air raid siren.  I guess we got a tornado on its way to redecorate. 
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

SwampDonkey

Yes, been some nasty weather I'm hearing down in the south. Take care all.

Today I noticed some no-see-ums in one little corner of my block where there is wet and grass, they came in a cloud. Never seemed to do any chewing though. Then later walking through the hardwood thinning I started to see some black flies about, again not biting. A couple more days and they will be nice ugly for blood. :D :D

Suppose to rain some tomorrow here to. We had a good 2" of rain last week for sure. Sounds like this one might be a little late in the morning coming, but they are never that precise on timing for around here. Rain is rain, whenever it arrives. ;D

HemlockKing

Black flies have been chewing away here for at least a week. Bug spray only slows them down a bit, if you keep the saw working though they don't seem to enjoy 2 stroke smoke  :D
A1

SwampDonkey

I usually just use fly netting and I have one of them tube neck scarves around my head before I put that on and my hard hat. Good also for keeping white face hornets from stinging your face. :D

HemlockKing

I hate wearing nets just the feeling or texture of them I don't like. I usually soak a old t shirt in bug spray then lay that under my hard hat and flop it down my neck ;D
A1

SwampDonkey

I don't want sweet mixed with chemicals down my face and mouth. Nasty nasty. :D

Thank You Sponsors!