iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

This isn’t cottage work, this is 150 acres lol and will be a life long “project”, in the last 6 months I’ve managed to thin roughly 25 acres (maybe even more I’m not sure I haven’t stopped)since I’ve had the time. This won’t continue beyond after this summer as I will be busy with work. But I plan to take a couple months(broken up)each year to manage the woodlot
A1

SwampDonkey

By all means get the FS560, and walker to'er. :D

I've thinned all my ground once, now doing it the second time taking out the firewood. This time by chainsaw. ;D Around 70 acres here. 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 09, 2021, 04:59:27 PM

I've thinned all my ground once, now doing it the second time taking out the firewood. This time by chainsaw. ;D Around 70 acres here.
How long will that take you suspect? Even making ground on a acre on my land is tough as it's so thick and lots of blow down cleanup. Lots of firewood though, enough for 5 year at least so far
A1

SwampDonkey

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 09, 2021, 05:07:05 PM

I've thinned all my ground once, now doing it the second time taking out the firewood. This time by chainsaw. ;D Around 70 acres here.
How long will that take you suspect? Even making ground on a acre on my land is tough as it's so thick and lots of blow down cleanup. Lots of firewood though, enough for 5 year at least so far
Well on what isn't touched out there yet and on the good ground, there's 30 - 40 cord to the acre and I only take 6-8 cord a year off 2 acres a year. So we're looking at at least 25 years. I'm still not done within 200 feet of the road and this is year 4. I also thin some small stuff as I go and knock down snags as I go so they don't end up on me. I dropped about 10 dead popple snags today and had some sound but wood on 2. :D  I also found an old root cellar behind an apple tree near the old road. Some old bricks laying near by. Late 1800 homestead there. I knew the old house as a kid, dad kept a horse there when yarding wood. I know this is not the house, it was mud floor and no hole under it. It's on old abandoned field, forested now, but was logged in 1994.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 09, 2021, 05:26:10 PM
Quote from: HemlockKing on May 09, 2021, 05:07:05 PM

Well on what isn't touched out there yet and on the good ground, there's 30 - 40 cord to the acre and I only take 6-8 cord a year off 2 acres a year. So we're looking at at least 25 years. I'm still not done within 200 feet of the road and this is year 4. I also thin some small stuff as I go and knock down snags as I go so they don't end up on me. I dropped about 10 dead popple snags today and had some sound but wood on 2. :D  I also found an old root cellar behind an apple tree near the old road. Some old bricks laying near by. Late 1800 homestead there. I knew the old house as a kid, dad kept a horse there when yarding wood. I know this is not the house, it was mud floor and no hole under it. It's on old abandoned field, forested now, but was logged in 1994.
Do you happen to have a thread you have created following your progress on your land? Would be interesting in seeing pictures. 
I'm hoping to have gone over at least 50'scres by the end of the summer, I've been hammering down all fall all winter and thus far all spring, winter was horrible, fingers and feet frozen everyday, snow falling down my neck etc. Made it through though, sure glad I did it, there's never a super good time to do it anyway , it's always something like too cold, too hot, bugs, etc. I just said heck with it and worked rain snow or shine and it's always hard work and ain't getting younger lol
A1

thecfarm

50 acres by summer!!! I can't even do 5. I have lots and lots of blow down, than the dead trees, than the tree that don't look good, than the fir trees. Fir don't grow good on my land, so just about every small one I come to, it gets cut.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

Fir will grow good here if you can get to it before it turns into spindles by age 20 and thin them out  :D. And yes 50, figured I'd take the time while I have it! 
A1

HemlockKing

44 outside here, suppose to rain sadly
A1

SwampDonkey

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 09, 2021, 06:11:44 PMDo you happen to have a thread you have created following your progress on your land? Would be interesting in seeing pictures.
A few meanderings over in here.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17457.0

The 3rd photo down I'm cutting firewood in now and thinning out, thinned the first time in 2005. Those aspen are about 70 feet tall now.

HemlockKing

Looks good! I am doing the same with laying slash to rot scattered but opening tiny spaces for trees, in my immediate living area where I can see from the house I like a clean Forrest but beyond that it is gonna be left to rot, in 5 years I reckon it will be enough rotted to easily drive a small tractor over. I have about 5 acres in balsam growth just like you had , same age as in your photos, in needing of a thinning, I already thinned some, but lots more, you can just tell it would explode in growth if I get in there and thin, they need it and soon. Wonder what do those balsams look like now? 
A1

HemlockKing

Also was rainy here all day, beautiful day now though, completely clear sky. 
A1

SwampDonkey

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 10, 2021, 04:16:58 PM
Wonder what do those balsams look like now?
A lot like this, that's pruned 12 feet. They are deeper in the woodlot past the old field.

Growing faster than spruce in diameter. Taking out any fir with weird shapes in the but log or bugs. This section thinned in 2007.

The photo in previous post with the aspen shows spruce.

B.C.C. Lapp

It snowed here yesterday. Heavy and wet.  Broke some limbs and shrubs down because some leaves are already out.
Today is sunny and 20 degrees warmer.   Western Pa. dont like the weather, wait a few hours.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 10, 2021, 04:52:21 PM
Quote from: HemlockKing on May 10, 2021, 04:16:58 PM
Wonder what do those balsams look like now?
A lot like this, that's pruned 12 feet. They are deeper in the woodlot past the old field.

Growing faster than spruce in diameter. Taking out any fir with weird shapes in the but log or bugs. This section thinned in 2007.

The photo in previous post with the aspen shows spruce.
Makes me excited to see mine in 15 years! There's one in my yard I can almost watch grow! 
A1

woodroe

Quote from: thecfarm on May 09, 2021, 09:38:30 PM
50 acres by summer!!! I can't even do 5. I have lots and lots of blow down, than the dead trees, than the tree that don't look good, than the fir trees. Fir don't grow good on my land, so just about every small one I come to, it gets cut.
Heck, I've been working on a ONE acre hodgepodge stand of White Pine and am overwhelmed 
with culls. Glad I only have 25 acres to tend to. Better yet, glad some of it is hard to get to.
I'll admit I am getting old and slow.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

I reach a lot of my ground by buggy trails and an old winter road on my Ranger. The trails aren't for racing on, up and over and around dips. :D A lot less expensive then roads, and gets the job done. ;D I cut my stumps low in the trails.

A few black flies around yesterday, but not biting yet. Just looking over the menu. ;)

Rain coming for next two days and rather cool.

HemlockKing

I was basically choking on black flies yesterday planting seedlings. You'd hear me violently gag "BLAH" hawk a spit ball to get them out followed by some cussing and flailing my arms around my head  :D We get rain today 
A1

SwampDonkey

A bug net eliminates all that. ;D

HemlockKing

We've been over this SD  :D I HATE the feeling of that nylon. I don't know how to explain it, makes me crawl in my skin, it isn't so bad, I usually have myself dressed up With a ball cap old shirt under the hat to protect my neck and sunglassss to hold the shirt to my temples and keep bugs out of my eyes. I just half
To be careful breathing through mouth  :D

Oh I checked the weather and the rain isn't coming now?? I'll take
It. 
A1

thecfarm

Wife has the whole bug suit!!! Yep, pants, jacket and hood. Them critters are bad. I am not a big man. I have to carry around a 50 pound rock so the flies don't carry me off!!!
Heat wave at 45°. Leaves are really coming out now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, the rain is slowly approaching here, not wet yet, but inevitable I think. I was cutting firewood this morning, some aspen in bad shape. Sometimes dead wood 20 feet up from a canker, be dead by summer's end. A couple black flies around but no bites. Only 54F I think. Going back up to split some rounds after dinner with the Collins. ;D

SwampDonkey

She's been wet here since 5:00 pm last night, she came down hard and fast there for a awhile then levelled off to a slow steady rain all night and still going.  A bit on to cold side, 40F. Might tame them little black .... ;)

Jim_Rogers

Raining here in NC today. But that doesn't matter much as we can't go anywhere with this gas shortage situation.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

HemlockKing

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 12, 2021, 09:21:39 AM
Raining here in NC today. But that doesn't matter much as we can't go anywhere with this gas shortage situation.

Jim Rogers
Heard of shortages near the metro area, Suspect that will reflect the numbers at the pumps, perfect, more rise in cost of living!  :)
A1

thecfarm

I have 36°
@woodroe, you below freezing?
In North Jay, on Route 2 and 4, by the blinking light, just North of the store I work at, had just about the same temps as you did about a week ago. One of my friends stopped in to see me and we was talking about. This friend is almost within seeing distance of the store and said he is quite often 8-10° colder than me.

Thank You Sponsors!