iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

So far so good. A very light rain and a strong wind.
So far. 
Just about what they said on tv last night.  ;D  Down by the coast was suppose to be worse.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

Raining again this  morning.  Messing with corn harvest beans are done. Much more moisture  with no warm air some of the corn may have to sit until we get frozen ground. Sub soil moisture is a good thing but makes for a tough harvest in the hills.

wisconsitom

Swampdonkey, I concur with your estimation of the bigtooth aspen.  A tree worth having around just for its good looks lol.

In these parts, almost always on a hillside.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Old Greenhorn

Well, we had just over 4" of rain for the storm which finally passed through in the early morning hours. 53° here now and solid overcast and should stay that way all day.  The next rain event starts late Friday through saturday. Still a lot of leaves on the trees, but they are giving up with all this rain. Temps are now holding below 60 for the foreseeable future.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

White oak on display. 8)  40F this morning early, overcast day here.....again. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

28° and frost on the windshield. This one will kill whatever the one a few days ago missed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I believe you are right because it is more widespread here this morning. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Another sunny day, since noon. 50's here. Walked some of the woodlot trails and stirred up a heard of 3 moose. Then in a field, on my way home, a bull moose was headed into the woods

Yesterday got to 65F and full sun.

SwampDonkey

36F this morning. The coyotes were howling a bit ago. Have not seen a turkey in a long while, nor a deer. See real small deer tracks on the trails, tracks as in maybe 2 sets. No end to moose tracks though. Bear had the shovel again. :D

Moon this morning is just rising, either late for last night or real early for tonight. Just a thin sliver on the eastern horizon. ;D

HemlockKing

Starting to get really cold overnight,
38 now. Before we know it Christmas will be here 
A1

thecfarm

Yes on not seeing the turkeys. They did have a pattern here for months. 
And yes on the cooler temps. I have 32° this morning. Looks like freezing temps each morning coming up.

HemlockKing

Was just outside with coffee star gazing heard a pack of yotes less than maybe 150m away, certainly no shortage of em around here. Come to think of the turkey situation I don't think they will ever make it out this part of N.S., they're making ground in Pictou area but I doubt they will gain much ground around here with all the coyotes and bear!
A1

SwampDonkey

I've watched coyotes try to hunt turkey in a harvested corn field by my woodlot. They fly up into the trees. ;D

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 02, 2021, 06:33:40 AM
I've watched coyotes try to hunt turkey in a harvested corn field by my woodlot. They fly up into the trees. ;D
Well we got bobcats then!! Turkeys don't have a chance out here! Plus how our forests are so brushy down here, can't make for great getaway scenarios for the poor buggers. 
A1

SwampDonkey

I keep seeing them spread here out beyond the settlements. At first just along the western part of the province, now 60 miles deeper. No farms out there.

HemlockKing

I wouldn't mind them make it here, add to the list of small game. I am surprised in how many deer are around here, despite how many outdoorsman/hunters in this area and all the predatory wildlife with it, tons of em
A1

SwampDonkey

Helps, if you have good winter habitat. Ours is mostly cut, and 30-40 years old. They need old growth with open canopy so small hardwoods can come in. First thing the tourists comment on is how small the trees are. Well, I keep saying, the mature forest is very fragmented and sparse up here, mostly cut in the last 40 years. Mature forest up here in the north is 80 + years old, not 30. ;D  Back 30 years ago, no problem to see 100 together in a field or on a fresh clear cut. I know my woodlot for instance, no undergrowth at all. A deer ain't going to eat dry dead softwood branches. I'm changing that, opening it up more and promoting the hardwoods. Spruce burns and makes good rails and posts. Ain't worth my time as sellable pulp or logs. You need high production equipment and lots of area ahead of each job to make it go. Easier to save money you got, then to pay with money you ain't got. ;D

HemlockKing

Same way over here, everything's been chopped mostly. 6 or 7 times this island has been
Clear cut over since the 1700s. Keiji national park is a good example of our what it would of all probably looked like. I would say the clear cutting must have certainly helped deer populations and is probably why we have so many now, they love those red maple sprouts and oaks.  
I'm starting to think I have an idea of when my land was must cut, 80-90 years ago, every big pine I cut starts it's life off very well, only needing 3-5 years to then attain 1/4-1/2 inch growth rings. I guess that tells me it was all open around 80 years ago. Must have had to pull it all out with oxen and that would have not been easy because this land is with very steep slopes and ups and downs and boulders etc.
A1

SwampDonkey

The older growth is for winter thermal cover. They don't have to worry so much about thermal cover in Virginia or Tennessee :D. But you can also drive through a lot of mature timber down there to. The forage is different, plus lots of people helping out with alternative sources of food, with food plots and so forth. Never seen that around here in all my years. Sure someone might have a feeder, but that ain't the same as planting stuff for them or actively preparing forest grown food sources. I hear lots of 'the deer haven't any winter feed or thermal cover', but no one doing much. Most are too busy to keep a property line cleared and marked. :D

HemlockKing

Just did my lines this summer, 4 ft wide path all the way, no matter how big the fallen tree was in the way lol . I hope to not do that again for 10 years, prior to that, ir hadn’t been trimmed since the surveyors actually blazed the trail in 1989, needless to say it was hard to follow as many blazed trees decayed or simply had the paint overgrown healed.
I do notice that a lot of folks down there actively make deer plot food, nobody around here does that much, will open up a small grazing area throw a couple apples on the ground and tuddah
A1

thecfarm

25° here this morning. 

wisconsitom

Nothing here but Land O lakes had a bit over 6 inches yesterday.  Snow that is.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

HemlockKing

Hardly 40 degree here and a cold rain. Not far off from the first flurry 
A1

Old Greenhorn

It hit 31.9° early this morning. But I don't thin we had a frost yet. I haven't yet swept the house chimney but have been burning in the shop for a little over a week now, just to keep even temps for finishing work. WIndy yesterday, not so much today.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

The first morning that the water has chilled in the mud puddles. But it sure is nice and sunny and warm in that sun to. Going to be the same all week here..sun....sun....sun. Knock'n down some firewood. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!