iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have tips for catching thieves?

Started by farmfromkansas, May 19, 2021, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

One other thing......a high tensile hot wire fence is another decent deterrent.  Make your gates hot as well.  Might not stop the crook, but it will make a few have a bad experience for a minute or two.  Had a buddy that was having trouble with folks breaking into his mounted toolboxes on his work truck.  He wired a deadman switch into an air horn just inside one of the side boxes.  When the guy opened the door he got a good awakening.......plus it alerted he and the neighbors to action along with a souped up rottie. :o :o

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

mike_belben

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 19, 2021, 02:44:30 PM
Mike, what a trade you made. Paying real estate taxes in Mass to being your own vigilante in TN. smiley_headscratch
I lived 3 houses from the big projects at berkshire and bay st in springfield,  same stuff i had to do up there, heroin gangs are much more dangerous than meth monkeys.  

I got 54x more land for half the price. Property tax bill is about 1/10th and the cops are equally as useless except these ones say shoot him if you have to. And i dont have to worry about the thieves color.

Funny i just made this today for my wife.  No parking lot, no trash.  Not even a trail to it or around it. 

And i get to live here. 
terrible day - YouTube
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

For me it is fuel tampering and Oil tampering and equipment damage.

Good 4k networked cameras, at least 16 cameras with POE
Power Over Ethernet. uses standard RJ-45 cables
use Dielectric Grease in the outdoor connecters

Trail Cameras.
cuddeback - CuddeLink Black Flash
the Long range ones have a red light that blinks when the battery is low, thus giving way its location

Tip - have two cameras watching each other. that way you might catch the thief when the camera is stolen

with the cameras put the Serial Number for the camera name

the biggest problem with trail cameras is they look like trail cameras.

"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

also have a map of the area with notes as to where the cameras are.
I got MANY and i sometimes loose track of some

the CuddeLink cameras use 12 AA batteries that last about 60 days
CuddeLink  Home camera

Walnut Beast

Buckeye cam is the same system some border patrol and various other government agencies use. No cell service needed but you can get it if needed. You have a base unit with your laptop or phone with first camera range of one to two miles then each additional camera acts as a repeater so you could go for miles. Solar panels so you never need to go out there. All settings can be controlled from base. Also they have gate openers and feeders that can be on the same system. Made in Athens Ohio 

HemlockKing

Quote from: goose63 on May 19, 2021, 01:44:18 PM
Maybe thats why thy leave me alone I have shot at a few of them ;D
Can’t do that here, even if they break in to rob you, can’t use/point a gun lol there was a guy recently who finally got let off after 2 years on a murder charge for defending himself from someone breaking into his house and trying to tie him up, anyway yeah he ended up blasting him, but still ended up being dragged through courts drained financially and life in ruins over it. Canada’s justice system for ya. I say you come looking for trouble on someone’s property you deserve every bit of force coming to you in

If not who you gonna call? The RCMP? Don’t make me laugh. Portapique is all I need to say, how that was handled.
A1

Southside

I have been told that ground penetrating radar can't see under log piles.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Kim_Ked

A 12 gauge shotgun tied up about 8" off the ground with a trip wire. I know a guy that got his leg blown off in this manner. He continued to be a POS after this and still ended getting murdered in his own home for screwing over the wrong people. 

Just make sure, if you catch a thief on your own land in this country that he is never found again. Especially since he likely didn't tell anybody where he was going.  A 15 ton excavator makes that an easy task... Like has been mentioned, in Canada, you don't have the right to defend yourself or your property, even against an attacker who has made it clear they are intent on killing you or your family, still no rights. Your supposed to roll over and take it up the cornhole. If you engage him with intent, it has to remain silent as you are now a criminal.

No wonder they do what they want without regard of consequences.
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on May 19, 2021, 09:27:07 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 19, 2021, 02:44:30 PM
Mike, what a trade you made. Paying real estate taxes in Mass to being your own vigilante in TN. smiley_headscratch
I lived 3 houses from the big projects at berkshire and bay st in springfield,  same stuff i had to do up there, heroin gangs are much more dangerous than meth monkeys.  

I got 54x more land for half the price. Property tax bill is about 1/10th and the cops are equally as useless except these ones say shoot him if you have to. And i dont have to worry about the thieves color.

Funny i just made this today for my wife.  No parking lot, no trash.  Not even a trail to it or around it.

And i get to live here.
terrible day - YouTube
Just a horrible day out there, even the birds are chirping! 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: Kim_Ked on May 20, 2021, 08:39:21 AM
A 12 gauge shotgun tied up about 8" off the ground with a trip wire. I know a guy that got his leg blown off in this manner. He continued to be a POS after this and still ended getting murdered in his own home for screwing over the wrong people.

Just make sure, if you catch a thief on your own land in this country that he is never found again. Especially since he likely didn't tell anybody where he was going.  A 15 ton excavator makes that an easy task... Like has been mentioned, in Canada, you don't have the right to defend yourself or your property, even against an attacker who has made it clear they are intent on killing you or your family, still no rights. Your supposed to roll over and take it up the cornhole. If you engage him with intent, it has to remain silent as you are now a criminal.

I've pondered what id do and I guess I will never know until I'm in a situation but it almost feels easier to "disappear them" out in my back swamp bogs rather than try to call the police or defend myself in anyway then after go to the police. So sad it's this way. 
A1

Kim_Ked

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 20, 2021, 09:00:49 AM

Just make sure, if you catch a thief on your own land in this country that he is never found again. Especially since he likely didn't tell anybody where he was going.  A 15 ton excavator makes that an easy task... Like has been mentioned, in Canada, you don't have the right to defend yourself or your property, even against an attacker who has made it clear they are intent on killing you or your family, still no rights. Your supposed to roll over and take it up the cornhole. If you engage him with intent, it has to remain silent as you are now a criminal.

I've pondered what id do and I guess I will never know until I'm in a situation but it almost feels easier to "disappear them" out in my back swamp bogs rather than try to call the police or defend myself in anyway then after go to the police. So sad it's this way.
We have a current problem with heroine addicts in our community. Lifetime criminals that will steal anything from anybody. Useless. If they disappeared, nobody would miss them except their fellow addicts. They literally litter needles up and down our road drive in a complete stuper and steal anything not bolted down and some stuff that is. The cops are a simple joke, do absolutely nothing. Everybody knows, but nobody cares. It really makes me think about what Ill do when one of them decide to try me. I don't know what Ill do, but I can guarantee, they will never come back a second time! Most of them are to *DanG weak to even walk let alone fight, they look like zombies. 
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

Kim_Ked

Quote from: Kim_Ked on May 20, 2021, 09:08:20 AM
Quote from: HemlockKing on May 20, 2021, 09:00:49 AM

We have a current problem with heroine addicts in our community. Lifetime criminals that will steal anything from anybody. Useless. If they disappeared, nobody would miss them except their fellow addicts. They literally litter needles up and down our road drive in a complete stuper and steal anything not bolted down and some stuff that is. The cops are a simple joke, do absolutely nothing. Everybody knows, but nobody cares. It really makes me think about what Ill do when one of them decide to try me. I don't know what Ill do, but I can guarantee, they will never come back a second time! Most of them are to *DanG weak to even walk let alone fight, they look like zombies.
They used to smoke crack and stuff like that, whatever was under the kitchen sink, but they have graduated over the past few years to stronger drugs now. Probably worse yet are the acquaintances they deal with. Hopefully they get offed for drug debt before they screw our community to badly. 

Kim_Ked

I literally brought an entire nap sack they dumped near our local water resevoir to the cops. This is a place where people fish, camp, sit by the lake with kids and dogs.  It was full of used needles. They know, we know, they the cops, just don't care.  They are to busy charging folks for attending church services here to deal with the true crime. Its probably just easier for them to go out hassling law abiding citizens. No investigation is involved with that one.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Kim_Ked on May 20, 2021, 09:14:10 AM
I literally brought an entire nap sack they dumped near our local water resevoir to the cops. This is a place where people fish, camp, sit by the lake with kids and dogs.  It was full of used needles. They know, we know, they the cops, just don't care.  They are to busy charging folks for attending church services here to deal with the true crime. Its probably just easier for them to go out hassling law abiding citizens. No investigation is involved with that one.
That’s right it is easier for them to hassle law abiding citizens, just like this insane gun ban to cover the fact of how big a failure our police force is, and government, they say”look what happened, see we need less guns!”, are you kidding!? (Funny how after the fact they said this itncame out the guns were illegally obtained anyway) If anything that whole scenario tells me I NEED a gun to protect myself, because the police sure as heck won’t move in to help. Heck they shot up a fire hall full of people hiding and then drove off and there was “no wrong doing found” in officers actions closed cases all gone, gun ban now! Nothing to see here, whoopy doo.
A1

HemlockKing

Not to mention the smooth brains that vote for these people mostly come from urban settings, phoning the police is easy, they are probably 10 seconds down the road at Tim Hortons, out here yeah no, I may be lucky if they get here in 15min. By the time they get here I don’t need them anymore because the deed has been done.
A1

mike_belben

my life is set up so that i can go to jail if needed in defense of my family and property.  my wife and i have had the talk plenty of times.  jail im not scared of, hell i am.  im not trying to kill anyone, i feed them.  i could have many many times buried one by now but there is no such thing as getting away with it. the lord sees all.  i am very scared of hell.

well, i have no qualms however, about taking off my belt or shoe to whip a man into popcorn chicken and send them back to the nest for the other rats to see the result.  im not scared about pleading guilty to an assault charge and making a few calls for bail money. i am scared of the neighborhood thinking they can do what they want to my wife and daughter.

criminals were trained by criminals because that is all they associate with.  if youve only been around good people its hard to understand their mentality.  i guess im lucky to have had a "troubled youth."  the law of prison is the law of criminals. not the court or the guards.. the inmates.   prison operates on law of the jungle.  the strong dominate the weak.  fear and respect are the driving elements of prison heirarchy.  a willingness to fight and lose is very respected in prison.  fear of fighting is very very very bad.  im scared of fighting but i still make myself go out there and get into it every time and none have put a hand on me yet.  maybe theyll kill me someday, 2 people have been shot to death on this road.  but im okay with that. im not okay with living a cowards life.  

be your own electric fence and itll follow you wherever you go.  man up.
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

Canada - it is your country, Fix it

USA - look at Canada and see what our "leaders" want us to become

Hilltop366

There are self-defence and property protection laws in Canada, I will suggest to look them up and be familiar with them so you know the expectations and limits of the law.

I would rather discourage or prevent theft but there is always bait and track, could lead you to the rest of your stuff. Anyone have any experience with those little tracking devises?

Hilltop366

Invention idea. How about a motion sensor that triggers a recording that says in a whisper "I see one" and projects a little red dot that moves around in their direction!   :D

btulloh

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 20, 2021, 12:18:20 PM
Invention idea. How about a motion sensor that triggers a recording that says in a whisper "I see one" and projects a little red dot that moves around in their direction!   :D
That could be easily put together using some inexpensive readily available stuff. 

Add:  Trouble is the inexpensive stuff off the shelf would be sonar based and limited to 50 ft or so.  Probably not the best way to produce the desired results.

Simple sounds good though.  Nail boards, better game cams,  maybe mix some valve grinding compound into a can of gas (or fit a tube dispenser of abrasive inside the spout).  Something about flat tires and engine destruction seems very appealing.
HM126

Roxie

The Amish nonviolent, conscientious objectors, turn the other cheek, and forgive everyone as God has forgiven you, use dogs for protection. 

They combine small yappy dogs (which I call Amish doorbells) with large "pack" dogs that are only let out at night. It doesn't take long for word to spread that it's not an easy mark. 

Say when

farmfromkansas

Had a little luck.  My game camera got a good picture of the rear of their vehicle including the tag.  Problem it is covered with mud.  Sheriff has the pic, I took it to the COOP as they know everyone, and thought they might recognize these guys and their vehicle, but they did not, so these guys must be from closer to Wichita.  There is a big scrap yard in Wichita that buys huge amounts of metal, think that is where the metal thieves sell their stuff.  Checked the yard where the meth heads live, was disappointed to not find any of my stuff there.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Sedgehammer

Quote from: farmfromkansas on May 20, 2021, 02:01:52 PM
Had a little luck.  My game camera got a good picture of the rear of their vehicle including the tag.  Problem it is covered with mud.  Sheriff has the pic, I took it to the COOP as they know everyone, and thought they might recognize these guys and their vehicle, but they did not, so these guys must be from closer to Wichita.  There is a big scrap yard in Wichita that buys huge amounts of metal, think that is where the metal thieves sell their stuff.  Checked the yard where the meth heads live, was disappointed to not find any of my stuff there.
sheriff has the resources to search the states data base for the owners of that make, model, color and range of age if he wants to. Then that list can be narrowed down by location and age of the owner
Necessity is the engine of drive

mike_belben

Bet the pillheads know whos it is.  Its not what ya know, its who ya know.

Scrapyards will have drivers license images and names they wrote checks to.  You wanna talk to the guy at the scale first, not the lady at the counter.

The sketchiest bars are also a place to do laps looking for it.  If you think the law will arrest them once ID'd, Dont ask at the bar, thatll tip them to lay low.   If the lae is useless, do ask at the bars to advertise youre gonna handle something with someone.  Anyway, check bars and drug roads for the truck. The mud will still be on it.
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 20, 2021, 12:13:25 PM
There are self-defence and property protection laws in Canada, I will suggest to look them up and be familiar with them so you know the expectations and limits of the law.

I would rather discourage or prevent theft but there is always bait and track, could lead you to the rest of your stuff. Anyone have any experience with those little tracking devises?
I agree I'm big on prevention, I really don't wanna ever be in that situation. I'm looking into motion sensor cameras, more spotlights etc. 
A1

Thank You Sponsors!