iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decided to go gas. 8.1 to be exact. 04 model

Started by Sedgehammer, June 06, 2021, 06:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Thinking about selling my 16 duramax (can't justify a 35k truck) and fixing up my 01. It's a 6.0. current motor runs well enough, but has 274k on it. I don't want a factory rebuild, as that's only 300 HP. i wood like 450 hpish more. anyone have thoughts on what i should put in?
Necessity is the engine of drive

btulloh

LS3.  Pretty easy to find at a junkyard for a decent price.  Probably need to swap the cam, put some headers on.  Might need to make some changes underneath in the exhaust plumbing so you don't have restrictions that rob HP.  Probably change the ECU to something like the Holley Terminator-X to give you some flexibility with the tune. That should get you to 450-500 hp.  Probably should tune it to get the torque in the RPM range you want since you're not racing.  You can also have an economy setting to save you some gas when your just going to get the groceries.
HM126

mike_belben

Refresh, portwork and turbo on your 6.0.  Make all the power you want.
Praise The Lord

btulloh

How much of the work are you planning to do yourself?
HM126

firefighter ontheside

I'm so happy me bride got it for me.....   

Does your wife know what you're planning?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

alan gage

Have you priced this anywhere yet? I haven't done a 6.0 estimate in a while but it's rare that we price out a rebuilt (crate) engine for less than $8k. There's no way we can compete on price by rebuilding it ourselves (not to mention tying up a bay for weeks). For what you're considering I'm guessing you'd be around $12k or higher, which makes a newer $35k truck seem like not such a bad deal.

You'll have a lot harder time finding someone to work on a modified engine too.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Southside

Not to mention going from 300 HP to 450 HP you better plan on doing the transmission at the same time.  What's the next weak link in the drive train after that?  Transfer case?  Rear end? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

red

Perhaps you really want more torque than horsepower ?  When I think of more horsepower I think high rpm 1/4 mile racing.  For torque I think pulling power for Towing heavy loads .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Tacotodd

Horsepower wins races. Torque moves loads.

That's a quote that I remember from a LONG time ago. And accurate it is  smiley_thumbsup
Trying harder everyday.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 06, 2021, 10:42:03 AM
I'm so happy me bride got it for me.....

Does your wife know what you're planning?
Yup. she's onboard. issue is my back and left leg. pain so bad makes me want to puke at times. riding in a car is the hardest thing for me to do. some days it's ok, others i want to claw myself out of the seat. The other issue is with all the pain medicine I'm on I have to have constant caffeine to keep me alert and the moment i set down my body wants to sleep. there are times where my head almost hits the desk where i'm typing a post. if i', moving it's ok

we were going to get a 5th wheel toy hauler, but have decided to get a motorhome. i can drive through the cities and she can drive in the countryside. i can laydown if need be then

@Southside Transmission is fine to about 600 hp. it's the heavy duty one

@btulloh I have a mechanic friend that wood do most of the work as long as not an engine rebuild. good idea on the LS3.....

@red yes, more torque

@alan gage a drop in is about 8k. long block basic about 2.5k

@mike_belben talked about that the other day. been up since 2 this mornin looking at engine prices i forgot about that. good idea, but wood buy a long block

chevytaHOE5674

A 6.0 truck only ever came with a 4L80E. Not what I would call "heavy duty" more like adequate for stock power. Jump the power up and hook to a trailer and bye bye transmission. 

You can build a high HP/TQ 6.0l but it will never be like hauling with a diesel. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

Is there someway to put an Allison behind it? Or a stick?
Trying harder everyday.

barbender

If you're determined, I'm sure where there's a will there's a way. Myself I'd stick with the diesel if you already have it.
  Everytime I think I understand Horsepower and Torque, I read something else that throws a wrench in it...like I just read that when you dyno an engine the dyno is actually measuring torque, which is then numerically converted to hp😬
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

that is true.  horsepower cannot be measured, it is calculated from torque measurement.  i tend to think of HP as a rate of torque production.  
Praise The Lord

barbender

Can't you just chip the 6.0? We have an '03 Suburban that the previous owner chipped the 5.3 in it. I guess I never drove it stock to compare, but that thing has a lot of power!

barbender

So, HP is the measurement of the ability to move a determined amount, in a determined amount of time, correct? What about the Kilowatt rating of Euro engines? It gets confusing😊

snowstorm

So you are looking at a motor home on a 3500 gm chaise ? You may be hard core gm. But a e450 Ford is a lot more truck. Much bigger. Rear axel . The v10 will have all the power need and then some. It will burn a lot of fuel... they all do

Sedgehammer

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on June 06, 2021, 03:41:30 PM
A 6.0 truck only ever came with a 4L80E. Not what I would call "heavy duty" more like adequate for stock power. Jump the power up and hook to a trailer and bye bye transmission.

You can build a high HP/TQ 6.0l but it will never be like hauling with a diesel.
it'll live well @ 450 hp. i'd not be pulling all day long with it hardly if ever

@snowstorm i am no ford fan. had several. nickels and dimes, nickels and dimes. with that said, yes you are correct a 450 ford is heavier chassis then 3500 the gm. it's like comparing a gm 250 to a ford 350. not radishes to radishes. shove come to push, i'd buy a ford if the price was right and it fit what i wanted

@barbender yes you can, but this motor needs a nap and that'd still be short of what i am wanting. it's tired. yes diesel is better for towing, but i'm usually empty and diesels are extremely expensive to fixate on

@Tacotodd an allison? be spensive, very. a stick, not this life time

Southside

Quote from: barbender on June 06, 2021, 04:39:29 PM
So, HP is the measurement of the ability to move a determined amount, in a determined amount of time, correct? What about the Kilowatt rating of Euro engines? It gets confusing😊
Lets not forget about Newton-Meters....  Anyone have a loggers tape marked in Smoots while we are at it?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

btulloh

I lost confidence in the smoot when it was recalibrated about five years ago. Since then I'm always uncertain which version of the tape I was using. To me, the recalibration made the smoot moot.
HM126

barbender

Southside, once again I am left questioning your "moderating" influence😂

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Tacotodd on June 06, 2021, 05:28:40 PM
Educate me, what's a Smoot?
5'7". 
12 valve swap. Tune it for 350 hp/900 ft/lbs and never look back. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dgdrls

Sorry to hear about your health challenges

You can build a 6.0 to make that HP but you may not like it for your application,
6.2 would work as @btulloh noted

or
Chevrolet Performance ZZ502/502 Deluxe 502ci Engine 508 HP @ 5200 RPM
your looking at $10 K drop-in with mods

D

Thank You Sponsors!