iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water sealant on big wounds?

Started by HemlockKing, July 11, 2021, 06:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

I have had the idea floating around for awhile but never bothered. I have a big pine I liked having around but it's a mess with coleaders  everywhere. One snapped off close to the trunk, I cut it to the collar to clean it up since it had ripped fibre everywhere. It's about 6 inch wound, eventually it will probably form a rot hole. Someone have any reasons why my idea of water sealant isn't a good idea? The stuff dries clear too.
A1

HemlockKing

I'm thinking the sealant will preserve the wood longer so it has more time to close the wound before it really rots in there
A1

HemlockKing

I'm reading arborists use to use pruning sealant, reason they stopped using was because traps in moisture. I assume they were painting it on right after the cuts? I'm not planning on doing that, the wound has been for 8 months so I think the wood on the wound is fairly dry now
A1

nybhh

I usually put Anchor Seal on larger pruning cuts or removed coleaders.  I'm not an arborist and have no evidence one way or another that it helps but feel like it probably helps slow down water and insect intrusion to give the tree a bit more time to close itself up.  
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

chep

Trees know best. You will not be helping by dressing a wound. There is no published science that promotes it. The only people touting it are the ones producing the sealants...

HemlockKing

Quote from: chep on July 11, 2021, 07:55:23 AM
Trees know best. You will not be helping by dressing a wound. There is no published science that promotes it. The only people touting it are the ones producing the sealants...
With that argument also could rise why even bother pruning then? :) They do know best, but we help them along to speed the process or in this case try to aide them. This isn't a tree pruning sealant I would be using, it's just general use stuff for wood, metal, everything pretty much. I'm not sure I'll go along and do it yet though I'll wait for more folk to weigh in
A1

btulloh

If you're set on sealing it, shellac is a good choice. 
HM126

Don P

Usually when you "seal" it, the seal cracks and lets liquid water in but slows drying, so accelerates rot. The seal has to be pretty much perfect to be of benefit.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Don P on July 11, 2021, 08:39:48 AM
Usually when you "seal" it, the seal cracks and lets liquid water in but slows drying, so accelerates rot. The seal has to be pretty much perfect to be of benefit.
So this would probably only be worth it if it's a tree like a single ornamental in your yard etc where it's not much inconvenience to check it re coat it every once in awhile 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: btulloh on July 11, 2021, 08:19:40 AM
If you're set on sealing it, shellac is a good choice.
If I do seal it will be with general purpose Thompson water sealant, stuff I use on bird houses and such. 
A1

Thank You Sponsors!