iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has Anybody Used a Lane Shark or Similar?

Started by YellowHammer, August 11, 2021, 10:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Maybe I need to start raising giraffes.  They should be able to reach up pretty high. 

I spray about 125 gallons of Roundup per year, and now that they are about to outlaw it, I'll really be in a mess. The place wasn't so bad until we sold all our cows but I'm not doing that again.  A few years ago, I even started spraying trees to kill them, but that didn't work out so well.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Gere Flewelling

YH- If you have some steep slopes to mow, you should google the Aebi tractor site.  We had a couple of these for many years at the ski area for mowing steep ski slopes.  Ours had a front mounted Seppi hammer knife flail mower and though the most recent one caught fire and burned last year, we have never found anything that compares to the stability and control you have working on steep terrain.  Unfortunately for me being the one to maintain the machine and keep it running, it was like a "hole in the mountain to throw money in".  I do blame much of our maintenance issues on un-caring operators.  That is always an issue at ski areas and many business.  This unit has front and rear THP and PTO's  It also had front hydraulic ports to run hydraulics off the front.  It has a hydrostatic transmission powered by a 90hp diesel engine and 4 wheel steering that would allow it to "crab" while mowing if needed.  We didn't replace the last one with another due to the expense of purchasing a new one "$200,000.00.  We have tried a new JD tractor with front mount mower this year.  I believe this is going to be an unsuccessful move as operators are not comfortable operating on the same steep slopes the old Aebi just drove up, down, and across without any issue. If you could find a used one, I think you might find it to be a good solution to the issues you have described.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

farmfromkansas

About leasing, I run cows on my grass, and also have a guy who guides hunters who leases my south pasture during the winter.  The cows are grazing the south part right now, opened the gate so they will move into the north winter pasture just a couple days ago.  Point is you can graze, and lease to hunters if the hunters like your property.  Mine has a creek that goes through it, and hunters like that.  Deer do too.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

beenthere

A seemingly successful idea for trail clearing is the recent Camarata video.. he hammers it together and makes a fast test run. .skip past the fabrication/build and go to 26 minute to see it cut brushy trail limbs.
Building a trail trimming trailer - YouTube

Sounds like more development/fabricating will come.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on September 16, 2021, 08:32:09 AM
YH- If you have some steep slopes to mow, you should google the Aebi tractor site.  We had a couple of these for many years at the ski area for mowing steep ski slopes.  Ours had a front mounted Seppi hammer knife flail mower and though the most recent one caught fire and burned last year, we have never found anything that compares to the stability and control you have working on steep terrain.  Unfortunately for me being the one to maintain the machine and keep it running, it was like a "hole in the mountain to throw money in".  I do blame much of our maintenance issues on un-caring operators.  That is always an issue at ski areas and many business.  This unit has front and rear THP and PTO's  It also had front hydraulic ports to run hydraulics off the front.  It has a hydrostatic transmission powered by a 90hp diesel engine and 4 wheel steering that would allow it to "crab" while mowing if needed.  We didn't replace the last one with another due to the expense of purchasing a new one "$200,000.00.  We have tried a new JD tractor with front mount mower this year.  I believe this is going to be an unsuccessful move as operators are not comfortable operating on the same steep slopes the old Aebi just drove up, down, and across without any issue. If you could find a used one, I think you might find it to be a good solution to the issues you have described.
Gere,
Why not try a Ventrac or Stiener for steep mowing ?
They cost much less and can mow some steep stuff.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Gere Flewelling

Bruno- I think the Ventrac unit would work pretty well in some of the roughly 200 acres we have to mow each year, but we have found that blade type mowers will not hold up due to the rough and rocky areas we think we have to mow.  The only type of mowers that have ever worked consistently here are flail type mowers.  Even those require constant maintenance and repair during mowing season.  Also the Ventrac appears to have very little ground clearance which would be a problem with the "water bars" trench's we have cut across the ski slopes.  Many of these are overkill in my opinion but I can't control that part of the operation, much as I have tried.  We had to build heavy duty skid plates on our Aebi tractors to protect the undersides from these conditions.  The issues we run into is crossing these water bars on steep terrain.  It is steep enough that you can't turn the tractor to mow across the slopes safely and must travel up and down the hill.
Then there is the major factor that modern day operators have to have a heated and air conditioned cab to be able to work all day with any kind of production.  And don't forget the radio. ::)  I would like to try out one of Ventrac machines sometime on some of our road side slopes though.  I think it would work great.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

btulloh

Quote from: beenthere on September 29, 2021, 05:38:49 PM
A seemingly successful idea for trail clearing is the recent Camarata video.. he hammers it together and makes a fast test run. .skip past the fabrication/build and go to 26 minute to see it cut brushy trail limbs.
Building a trail trimming trailer - YouTube

Sounds like more development/fabricating will come.
Pretty cool but I don't think it's the ultimate solution. Fun video though. 
I liked the magnetic swarf collector seen in the first couple minutes. Gotta get me one those. 
HM126

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on September 30, 2021, 08:36:07 AM
Bruno- I think the Ventrac unit would work pretty well in some of the roughly 200 acres we have to mow each year, but we have found that blade type mowers will not hold up due to the rough and rocky areas we think we have to mow.  The only type of mowers that have ever worked consistently here are flail type mowers.  Even those require constant maintenance and repair during mowing season.  Also the Ventrac appears to have very little ground clearance which would be a problem with the "water bars" trench's we have cut across the ski slopes.  Many of these are overkill in my opinion but I can't control that part of the operation, much as I have tried.  We had to build heavy duty skid plates on our Aebi tractors to protect the undersides from these conditions.  The issues we run into is crossing these water bars on steep terrain.  It is steep enough that you can't turn the tractor to mow across the slopes safely and must travel up and down the hill.
Then there is the major factor that modern day operators have to have a heated and air conditioned cab to be able to work all day with any kind of production.  And don't forget the radio. ::)  I would like to try out one of Ventrac machines sometime on some of our road side slopes though.  I think it would work great.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Ventrac introduced a frail mower this spring.
I understand about the low ground clearance.
I hope to get a Ventrac or Stiener for my property some day. They can do a lot for a small unit.
The rough cut mowers can cut down some very impressive stuff.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Walnut Beast

Here is a limb and brush cutter for you tractor 🚜 guys with loaders! And ATV units. Yellowhammer you might want to check them out for your high and overhanging limbs. For your tractor or Skidsteer

https://stoutdesignsllc.com/

Thank You Sponsors!