iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

co2/argon regulator

Started by moodnacreek, August 27, 2021, 07:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

The other day I ran out of shielding gas and put another tank on. Started welding and the puddle was going away from the nozzle and the hissing air hose on the floor was the tank regulator blowing off. The needle on the gage you adjust had gone beyond the peg. Last night I borrowed another regulator and welded for half a day and this one did the exact same thing. Always on a Friday with no one open Sat.   Anyone have this happen?

Magicman

When my gauge went bad I had to get a flow/regulator that has a floating ball.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Sounds like its screwed wide open. Back the stem out until the diaphram dont touch inside and see if it cuts the flow off.   I think theyre reverse thread.. No?
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Thanks, magic I well ask about that at the welding supply Monday.                   Mike, the regulators are blown, out of control and the low pressure gages gone wacko. 2 in a row, no can weld [nice].  I have had at least 3 mig welder set ups and oxy/actl. gages for over 50 years and the first one that blew was that old.  I am welding thin stuff for a pantograph arm for the new mill. I am not good enough to do it with stick.  

Crusarius

What is the tank pressure? those regulators have a pressure relief valve so if the tank is overfilled they will vent.

or if the gauge is old the spring may not be as strong causing it to vent.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Crusarius on August 29, 2021, 12:21:33 PM
What is the tank pressure? those regulators have a pressure relief valve so if the tank is overfilled they will vent.

or if the gauge is old the spring may not be as strong causing it to vent.
Thanks C.  I was wondering about that, overfilled tank. This all started when I put on a new tank and all my equipment is old.   The low pressure side is high pressure on both regulators now and the gages are broken and a lot of argon/co2 was lost. these things always happen when the supply house is closed.

Magicman

Plus that stuff is expensive.  I just replaced my Argon/CO2 bottle and it's small: $55.00.  An MC cylinder of Acetylene was $28.00.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

For tanks!?  That is dirt cheap. Certed tanks are a mint around here.. Gas house lost my big oxygen for about 6 months before finally giving me a replacement.. I was sweatin it.  I traded a M&P15-22 rifle for my argon tank.  The others i bought at scrap yard and had em revalved and certed.  12yrs for like $40 fee.   Its like $400+tax for a new tank.

Doug im betting theres a replaceable diaphragm inside.. Google any part numbers you can find. 
Praise The Lord

Magicman

Sorry, not the bottle, the gas. moodnacreek mentioned that he lost some gas. 

I was talking about the exchange for a full bottle.

mike_belben

Phew.. I was feelin cheated for a minute there lynn!
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Mike, there is and they look good. Can't do anything about it tomorrow, have to go to Marshfield, Mass, up the thruway and across the Mass pike to get sawmill parts I paid to have delivered. If I get stopped I will mention your name!

Crusarius

Tractor supply deals with gas and they are open 7 days. problem is I think you need one of their tanks and its a rental not an own. May be worth looking into though. Nothing ruins a weekend more than running out of gas.

btulloh

I traded in a tank at Tractor Supply that had different dna and there was no problem. Might have been a mistake by the sales person, or not.  Certification had expired too. Maybe it was just my lucky day. I usually go to Airgas, but it was a weekend and I had the extra tank and it got me going. And a tank i could trade in for a refill at tractor supply or northern
HM126

Tacotodd

Quote from: moodnacreek on August 29, 2021, 08:35:02 PM
Mike, If I get stopped I will mention your name!
::) Creative editing eh eh
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

well, just be shouwa to pahk the cah and try some lawbstah while yir out theya. 
Praise The Lord

scsmith42

Regulator diaphragms will go bad over time, especially if they sit unused. If they are older, high quality US mfg regulators I would consider having them rebuilt. You can also buy the kits and rebuild them yourself.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

moodnacreek

Thanks for all the replies. Welding supply house says I blew the diaphragms buy turning them up too much. I may have upon running out of gas to get it all. So I bought a new one and ordered 2 rebuild kits for the Victor af 250's. Raining hard today so back to welding.

Thank You Sponsors!