iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Ida

Started by Magicman, August 27, 2021, 08:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

Quote from: HemlockKing on September 02, 2021, 07:55:23 AM
I just heard on the radio it's "national grits day" said "if you're ever down south and you see grits on the menu, DONT" . lol lol
Well one Northerner named RAY claims he has a lifetime supply compliments of MM and myself.
Again, thanks MM for the assistance in making RAY's cereal selection closer to complete.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

jasonb

@Magicman 

How is the fuel situation up there?

I thought I was gonna get electric soon but maybe not.  I am trying to keep 3 houses going on generator and maybe a 4th.

2 Jugs
HM122

Magicman

I thought that we were done with generators, but we still have one running. 

Gasoline is available but not readily.  Close to the interstate and the major highway, there is none or log lines but a half mile away there is no wait.   We made a round trip to the coast area today (funeral) and even though I knew that I could make the round trip without filling up, I still topped off about 80 miles from home so that we would not have to deal with the fuel situation when we got home.

I filled my non-ethanol and Diesel containers Saturday before the storm.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jasonb

Thanks for the reply.

Everyone in NOLA and surrounding areas are heading up I55 to get gas.  I am good as of now and hope to get electricity soon but I have some friends that might not get it for awhile.  There is a lot of trees down in south Louisiana.  The electric crews and tree crews are doing an amazing job getting things back in place but it is just a mess around here.

2 Jugs
HM122

gspren

Ida came through my neighborhood on Wednesday, wet and windy but not "terrible". Thursday I picked up sticks and branches out of the yard and I have a few bigger branches that will need a couple cuts over some of my woods trails. Today I made a few passes up the driveway with the tractor and scraper box. We never lost power so I feel fortunate.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Roxie

My begonias took a direct hit. Photo for insurance purposes. 

We had a tornado touchdown 2 miles south of me. 7 homes demolished, 9 with major damage and 40 with minor damage. 

Volunteers swarmed in and tarped  damaged roofs, chainsaws buzzed all day and debris hauled away leaving some homeowners near tears. In Oxford that's how we roll. 

Say when

Nebraska

A friend had his farm place south of me hit by a small tornado. It tore up a fair amount of stuff. Tore the garage clear off of the house, took part of the house roof.  Made a mess of the out buildings, and trees. I left the office and ran down there. There were already 15 or so folks there helping clean up when we got there.  In a short while there were 60 or so there. A TV news crew showed up from Omaha and the young reporter  was dumb founded at the sight.. He asked me if this was some sort of village on this little farm (like a commune).   He couldn't figure out where the people came from.   I said no this is the country we take care of each other. We had Gary's place pretty well cleaned up  in 3 hrs. 

Roxie

It was confirmed to be an F2 traveled 6.9 miles 358 yards wide and had been within a tenth of a mile of my home. 

Nebraska city and country folks come from two different worlds. 
Say when

Hilltop366

Yikes! Too close for comfort.

firefighter ontheside

I was deployed to Louisiana for the last week in response to Ida with my FEMA urban search and rescue team.  I was in place in Lafayette just before the storm made landfall.  It was predicted to come right over us, but it went East.  The next day they sent us closer to NOLA.  They had been projecting that damage could have been just like from Katrina, but luckily that wasn't the case.  Still, the whole area was very hard hit by wind that took down more powerlines and poles than I could have imagined.  I just returned home today.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Raider Bill

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 04, 2021, 08:19:05 PM
I was deployed to Louisiana for the last week in response to Ida with my FEMA urban search and rescue team.  I was in place in Lafayette just before the storm made landfall.  It was predicted to come right over us, but it went East.  The next day they sent us closer to NOLA.  They had been projecting that damage could have been just like from Katrina, but luckily that wasn't the case.  Still, the whole area was very hard hit by wind that took down more powerlines and poles than I could have imagined.  I just returned home today.
Did they fly you in or did you drive with equipment?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

firefighter ontheside

We drive.  Our convoy consists of 3 tractor trailers, 5 flatbeds F550's, 1 eleven passenger van, 3 Ford Excursions and 2 large busses.  We pull 3 boat trailers that carry 2 boats each, 2 gooseneck trailers, 1 bumper pull enclosed trailer and one flatbed trailer carrying a Kubota utility vehicle.  One of the tractor trailers is a flatbed carrying several large pallets, a large generator, a forklift and another Kubota.  While  we can load our equipment cache on C130, usually its better to drive.  We have much more flexibility that way.  With hurricanes, we have enough notice that we leave ahead of landfall and are in place ahead of time.  We do a lot of training with helicopters, namely Chinooks and Blackhawks.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

Those tornadoes are nasty but they are sorta random as to what they will destroy. Seen results of one here a few years ago. Took out a trailer home, nothing but insulation scattered in the yard. And there was a family inside, unharmed. Right across the road is an old farm house, never touched it. Went across two heavy transmission lines, no damage, then tore a path down through the maple woods and died out before it got to the St John River, probably a mile from that trailer home.

Glad everyone is safe and eat'n good. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Canada sent crews to Chester County to help get our electricity restored!  Canada!  Talk about an overwhelming feeling of comfort and joy. They've got our backs. Thank you Canadians!  

Say when

samandothers

One of the last storms I worked before retiring I worked with some Line crews from Canada.  They were all retired from their first jobs.  This storm work was a part time gig as I recall. They did a great job.  I do not speak french so on a few occasions I had to use a translator app to communicate.

Roxie

Yoopers also speak a language all their own but it sure isn't French and to foreigners it may as well be. 

Necessity is also the mother of understanding a language you weren't taught.  Yesterday I was driving Amish and he asked to stop at the end of the drive to speak with his neighbor. She was up a bank so hollering commenced. When he got back in the car, I asked who's birthday had she mentioned and he temporarily had a look of horror cross his face that an outsider was capable of eavesdropping. Very quickly he recovered and began to chuckle and said that I always amaze them. 

Say when

farmfromkansas

Don't know if Ida was the cause, but we had some very nice slow rain here in Kansas, Thursday nite we got 3/4", and then Friday nite we received 2" more, nice and slow.  Now the beans are soaked up and we will have a nice fall harvest, as long as we don't get an early frost.  Just in time for the beans, they were getting crisp, but seem to be recovering nicely.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Chuck White

Quote from: Roxie on September 05, 2021, 08:58:21 AM
Yoopers also speak a language all their own but it sure isn't French and to foreigners it may as well be.

Necessity is also the mother of understanding a language you weren't taught.  Yesterday I was driving Amish and he asked to stop at the end of the drive to speak with his neighbor. She was up a bank so hollering commenced. When he got back in the car, I asked who's birthday had she mentioned and he temporarily had a look of horror cross his face that an outsider was capable of eavesdropping. Very quickly he recovered and began to chuckle and said that I always amaze them.

I have two brothers that speak pretty fluent German, when either of them are around the language most often spoken is English!
They were both dumbfounded a while back when they (the Amish neighbors) were speaking German and one of my brothers broke in and said "Ah, spreken ze doich"!  :o
After that, the were probably careful of what they said!  :)  
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jasonb

Still no power as of this morning.  I am all good except for the power situation.

The following is drone footage of Grand Isle, LA.  Lot of damage to the western side of the island as it is lower in elevation which allowed the storm surge to break through the protective berm and wash over the island.  Everything on the ground floor and camps that were not 10 ft off the ground were wash away.

drone footage of Grand Isle,LA

HM122

Magicman

That is horribly depressing.  I have fished out of Port Fourchon with Capt. Charlie Hardison many times.  Of course he is gone but the Charter Service was still there.

(I'll be fishing a bit further East next week.)  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

@2 Jugs I'm so sorry.  That damage is devastating.  We had folks telling us that we were needed in Grand Isle, but of course we can only go where FEMA sends us to help and that was not one of the places.  I do know that another Task Force was eventually sent there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

jasonb

MM,

May the Lord bless you on your trip next week.

ffots,

No offense, but you lucked out on not going to Grand Isle.  The living conditions down there are brutal and will be for a while.

I have several friends with camps down there and spent many weekends fishing and relaxing on Grand Isle.  I have seen it come back from Katrina and Gustav and many other smaller hurricanes.  The devastation from Ida is in a whole other category.  Normally, it will take a week or 2 for services to be restored and cleanup would end but normal is years away.  For some, all they had done there is gone.  For them, there will be a new normal

2 Jugs
HM122

jasonb

Today the wife and I made a run to La Rose, LA(60 miles north of Grand Isle) to visit one of her co-workers.  The damage is really bad down there and we are 2 weeks out from the storm.  I can only imagine what it looked like the day after.  Electric companies are rebuilding most of the grid.  

The further you go, the worse it gets.   :( :( :(
HM122

Thank You Sponsors!