iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Food Plots Planted

Started by Magicman, October 09, 2021, 09:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Nice find.  We used one very similar to that made from a culvert and filled with concrete.  

I know where the remnants of a 'bought made' one is on my property.  Just gotta wait until it's cold enough to chase the 'rattlemoccasins' in before I go wading through the briers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I went to a deer plot planting night course. This was years ago. The one thing I remember the instructor said was, Any one was to buy a roller? He claimed that driving his 4 wheeler over the newly planted ground worked better than a roller.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

It works, we've done it, but its a whole lot of driving to knock down a field of tall grass versus rolling it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

Ray - this course was for hunting deer plots at night? Did you use a fake name at least?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

You are after getting good seed/soil contact.  Packing firms the soil up around the seed causing them to sprout faster.  A rain after planting does all of the above.  After the seeds sprout and the plants are up, I see no benefit. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jb616

Nice score @Jeff , I bought an old water tank roller at an estate sale for $30...better than $500+ for a cultipacker as I am doing no til anyway.  @Magicman , I believe the round tip blades are your oats. 

Magicman

@jb616, thanks, I planted 50-50 Oats & Wheat.  You made me do some searching:

Oat:

• auricles absent, leaf-sheath and blade hairless (scattered hair on some varieties)
  • ligule medium length
  • leaf-blades twist anticlockwise

Wheat:

• auricles blunt and hairy
  • leaf-sheath and blade always hairy
  • ligule of medium length
  • leaf blades twist clockwise

Magicman

Ahead of the oncoming storm, my deer food plots got top dressed this morning.

Mostly 33-0-0 but I had partial sacks of pelletized lime as well as 13-13-13 so it all got mixed together and distributed.  It's raining there now so I am happy. :)

Magicman

I added a short video showing arriving at the Cabin entrance.

https://youtu.be/ZVAn2E5mhFY

The hanging sign reads:  The Davis Vineyard, LP

beenthere

Deer food plots begs the question.. "why not hunt the deer in their natural habitat? " Is that possible?

Surely would be some cheaper. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Been down that mostly paved road  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Quote from: beenthere on October 27, 2021, 10:26:08 PM
Deer food plots begs the question.. "why not hunt the deer in their natural habitat? " Is that possible?

Surely would be some cheaper.
Cuz them critters sure have a knack for making the fool of us on their turf!
Praise The Lord

Southside

When looking for property we stubled across a place that had seen better days, ok - we stumbled across many of those and bought one, but that's beside the point.  Anyway, this place sat well back from the road, never had utility power to it, and still had the old battery shed with wires out back.  It was a really cool place and the owner had been using it for a deer camp.  I walked around back to gain access to the foundation as someone had poured a modern basement under it with a dirt floor, it was incomplete so in essence it was a walk out basement.   As soon as I walked under there all I could see were deer prints completely littering the dirt floor.  Edge to edge hoof marks.  In my mind I could picture these guys leaving camp before daylight to get into their stands, only to have the herd of deer hustle under the camp and hang out there all day long playing cards.  It was priceless.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Quote from: Southside on October 28, 2021, 10:27:31 PM... dirt floor.  Edge to edge hoof marks.  In my mind I could picture these guys leaving camp before daylight to get into their stands, only to have the herd of deer hustle under the camp and hang out there all day long playing cards.   
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

Quote from: Iwawoodwork on October 10, 2021, 12:48:34 PM
I put chicken wire around our tomato plants and squash, the deer kept everything that grew through the wire pruned back to the wire then about the time the plants got good flowers on them the deer  found how to reach over and  down to the plants, pretty poor crop of tomatos and squash.
electric fence
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!