iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Salmon Run

Started by Sailor Mars, October 13, 2021, 06:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor Mars

Wondering if anyone else has been out fishing recently taking advantage of the salmon run and nice weather! My buddy and I have been out a couple times this week and got 2 so far. Planning to go out Sunday not sure if we wanna do salmon or trout yet though

Forestry undergrad, forest tech and trail crew work

barbender

Where are you located? Just know that I'm jealous already!😊
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

It is really something to see! The bears are in the water feeding along with the eagles and the gulls, crows and other scavengers are waiting for left overs. They all have their place in the heirarchy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sailor Mars

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 13, 2021, 09:03:51 PM
It is really something to see! The bears are in the water feeding along with the eagles and the gulls, crows and other scavengers are waiting for left overs. They all have their place in the heirarchy.
Having a dozen 20+ lb fish jumping right in front of you is pretty amazing. We saw some seagulls across the river picking at some poor dead one haha
Quote from: barbender on October 13, 2021, 07:17:41 PM
Where are you located? Just know that I'm jealous already!😊
In central NY, we've been driving up to Pulaski and fishing out the Salmon River. Appropriately named, you should definitely come around and cast sometime, it's pretty incredible! 
Forestry undergrad, forest tech and trail crew work

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Never knew you had any wild Atlantic salmon runs left in NY. I thought they were all up here in New Brunswick, Quebec and NFLD. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I used to go every year to Pulaski and fish the salmon river. Snatch hooking was legal. Opening day was crazy.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ron Scott

We have great fall lake and stream salmon fishing here.
~Ron

Southside

A buddy was up there last week, said it's amazing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

KEC

The salmon in Pulaski, NY are introduced pacific salmon, Cohos and Chinooks. Quite a story about that. New York, to my knowledge has no Atlantic Salmon that come up from the ocean. There are Landlocked Salmon in some New York lakes.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: KEC on October 14, 2021, 09:37:22 PM
The salmon in Pulaski, NY are introduced pacific salmon, Cohos and Chinooks. Quite a story about that. New York, to my knowledge has no Atlantic Salmon that come up from the ocean. There are Landlocked Salmon in some New York lakes.
Ah, thought so. Either introduced or landlocked. Thanks. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

olcowhand

Quote from: Ron Scott on October 14, 2021, 05:11:44 PM
We have great fall lake and stream salmon fishing here.
.....and the Steelhead follow them up the river; I'm not much of a Fall Salmon guy (mainly because of the physical decline of the fish by the time they're spawning), but I love the Steelhead.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

KEC

Lake Michigan has the introduced salmon, too. Not sure about the other Great Lakes. They are a big draw as fishermen come from many areas to partake.

Ron Scott

Yes, all introduced here back in the late 1960's early 1970's; the first being in Lake Michigan. It was an economic boom to the area.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

You knew the Atlantics were fresh from the sea when the sea lice were still on the salmon in the river. Best tasting salmon there is, not because of the sea lice, but because they were sea-run. The flavour and texture is way different. 8) Haven't fished in about 25 years.

Thank You Sponsors!