iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TSC which is Peavy Mart

Started by ehp, October 23, 2021, 11:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

TSC here in my home town is now carrying Stihl   . They got just small saws as of right now but have some bars  chains bar oil and leaf blowers and stuff

Tacotodd

I thought that went against how Stihl did business. It's going to be a hard for the real dealer to win if some BBS gets to sell it.
Trying harder everyday.

Southside

Same here. They had Husky last year. Homeowner grade stuff that the target audience probably won't go to a dealer for anyway is my guess.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

We have had problems with Stihl as well. They were selling cut off saws directly to the rental yards below dealer cost who then blew them out the back door at little profit. I had a rather heated discussion with the rep because we weren't stocking them, he threatened to pull the dealership if we didn't carry the full line so I ordered one and put it on the shelf at full retail. I was on commission, I didn't have time for that BS.
The local dealer had had the same problem, he threatened to drop Stihl which does well here and go to another line if they didn't back off. He now stocks some Echo which the Stihl rep doesn't like but tough beans. I have not seen TSC in BC but it is probably only a matter of time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

the local JD dealers now carry Stihl.  farmers will go there anyway, but the service is usually a young guy that does a lot of the lawn care stuff.  other service techs spend weeks in training to work on JD stuff.  I still go to the Amish group an extra 20 miles away.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

charles mann

Our JD and Kubota dealer are stihl dealers as well. TSC is husquvarna and oregon. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

ehp

So now I have 5 stihl dealers in my small area but hardly any stock between them cause they cannot get any . Makes no sense to me to open more dealers when no one can get anything from the factory

lxskllr

I don't know exactly what's around here for "good" dealers. There's a hardware store that sells and services echo; a family business. I think it's one of the kids that handles the saws due to interest. Dunno the quality. I haven't had to get an echo fixed.

The Stihl dealers all sell something other than saws as their main business. The dealer I bought my first Stihl from sucked. Dunno if their service is any better, but I won't find out. A member here(gspren) turned me on to an Amish shop that's a real saw shop. Good prices, and all he does is outdoor power equipment. I pass a lot of other Stihl dealers in the 30+ miles it takes to drive there, and I'm completely fine with that. He's also started selling arborist gear which is just great.

There's some small hardware stores that sell a limited selection of Stihl homeowner stuff. About right for Chinese made tools, but I don't know that it's a good strategy for Stihl, both in making cheap tools, and letting more or less random shops sell them. Maybe it works for them to set hooks selling real saws later, but it's not how I do things. If you promote yourself as the best, you should be selling the best, and there shouldn't be any "*" next to some models. If people can't afford it, you tell them to come back when they can, or offer a nice clean used model instead. Maybe that's why I don't run businesses  :^D

hedgerow

Quote from: charles mann on October 23, 2021, 12:25:34 PM
Our JD and Kubota dealer are stihl dealers as well. TSC is husquvarna and oregon.
This is the way it is in my area also. I bought my 261 from the JD dealer last year that is a mega JD dealer. I actually drove sixty miles to one of there other stores to pick the saw up. 

ehp

all JD and Kubota dealers here sell Stihl , now I'm just waiting for Canadian Tire to start selling Stihl then they got everybody covered

sawguy21

The nearest JD dealer is sixty miles away, I have no idea if they carry Stihl or anything else. The Kubota dealer has or at least had Echo in competition with the local dealer, I understand they dropped it.

realzed

When they first opened here (Sudbury) I found TSC prices were pretty decent, but over the past year or two they went up so much that it was far cheaper to get what I need elsewhere - unless every other place was out of what I was looking for and I was in a bind..  
The TSC we have only stocked real small Husky saws, bars, and chains for them, and since I wouldn't buy most anything Husky regardless, I basically quit going there except the odd time for generic bar oil to dilute my Stihl oil in the cooler Fall temperatures somewhat.
Recently after seeing the name had changed to Peavy, I have poked in a couple of times - but found no deals or pricing improvements, so Peavy won't see much of me going forwards either!   

ehp

The Bobcat dealer here is also a Stihl dealer 

SwampDonkey

Most Ag. places here are Stihl dealers. That includes businesses you never heard tell of elsewhere. Plus the Kabota and JD shops. It's funny, one saw shop near here said they can't get 560's, I stepped into a Kabota shop and got one right off the shelf. Sure ain't much for networking, dog eat dog. :D

No one can get Husq 555's and they are not even on their corporate site, just the lower model, 545. How come I got a 555 a week after they said no. It's a screwed up system that plays favorites, I guarantee it. I seen it first hand. 3 guys couldn't get 555's this year on the crew. I was in the shop when another crew boss was handed 2 brand new 555's. What a bunch of bull durham. ::) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Husqvarna some years back tried the same power play .They lost which is why the closest Husky dealer is 40 miles away .As far as Stihl dealers there must be half a dozen within 20 miles from me .
As for the brand I've bought one product new in my life  which is a weed wacker and it's a good one ..I just visit the dealer if I need parts or another rebuilder project .My shed has about the same number of the orange and white saws as it does the big yellow brand .

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: ehp on October 23, 2021, 01:53:50 PM
So now I have 5 stihl dealers in my small area but hardly any stock between them cause they cannot get any . Makes no sense to me to open more dealers when no one can get anything from the factory
Both husky and stihl dealers here still have good stock. The stihl dealer has 3-500i's. 

ehp

FJ, do your dealers have bars for the saws, there are no light weight bars here at all and telling us it will be into 2022 before we see any

doc henderson

I just got a carving bar, chain, and sprocket from my Stihl dealer after a 1.5 week wait.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Firewoodjoe

They have bars and chains. Not sure about the lights. I dont know if many people use them around here. 

HolmenTree

Recent shake up this month at Stihl Inc. Virginia Beach is making a ripple effect all through out North America.
Will be interesting what's in store in the near future. 

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Tacotodd

I don't know if that's good or bad, but definitely interesting to see what now...
Trying harder everyday.

Kodiakmac

Quote from: ehp on October 23, 2021, 06:34:20 PM
all JD and Kubota dealers here sell Stihl , now I'm just waiting for Canadian Tire to start selling Stihl then they got everybody covered
Canadian Tire will stock them as soon as Stihl builds saws in China. :D
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Al_Smith

Dealers aren't the same .I have one three miles from my house but I use the one 14 miles away .That's just for parts as I have no intensions of buying a new anything .Although I did buy a new weed wacker and spent 6 grand for a Toro zero turn mower .That has to account for something .

sawguy21

Geez Al, that musta really hurt. ;D

SwampDonkey

Bought a new 16" bar for my Husq 555 xp a week ago, no trouble at all. And this is a shop running out of a ATCO trailer until they get the big shop built. It was Oregon, but made in China. ::) I have no complaints, but used to be out of Europe. I'm only thinning trees that are no bigger that 16" on the stump, and making firewood out of it so I don't need a great big bar. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!