iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ Boardwalk Extention

Started by TroyC, January 21, 2022, 08:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

I read a recent post about cutting long beams and such. Got my interest as I am ready to pull the trigger on an extension for my EZ40.
I am need of milling 4  6"x10"x20' beams and 30 or so 2"X10"x22' boards. That's primarily what I need the extension for. Also, I'm totally convinced I just want one.  :)

I have the trees available and the ability to get them out of the woods to the mill, no problem. I have a tractor loader that will lift about 2200 lbs so I think I'm covered there on loading the mill. I've cut 16' beams before so I know enough to be dangerous.

Anyone here have the 8' extension on their Boardwalk 40? If so, any issues using it? I know the mill is designed to be used without the wheels but I have jacks to keep it mobile. I know I'll have to bolt the extension on to use it and will have to add jacks or bracing under the tail end while using the extension. Are the factory installed dogs enough for the longer boards or do I need to order an extra clamp?

I'm sure I'll remember some other questions, but any guidance here would be appreciated.

Nebraska

I have an 8 ft extension on my Jr. But it is stationary on a raised concrete pad. 
Works fine and  I can do 20 foot easily. 20 ft logs worth sawing are pretty rare here. Mostly I like it so the mill head stays in the shed and if I want to do a 16 foot piece of material I have plenty of room to wrangle it with the tractor with out risking bumping the shed. Get an extra clamp and a an extra stop or two.

customsawyer

I was going to suggest that you bring the logs and we would cut them together over here. Than I read the part that you just want one and I can't compete with that.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Oddman

I have the EZ 40 with an 8' ext. 
I like it alot and have needed it for several projects, it works well. My regret is not just springing for the 10' ext but oh well.
My mill is stationary so can't comment on ease of portability with the ext. Mine came with the screw adjustable leveling feet just like the main mill frame. I would like to have another dog permanently placed on the extension but it's not really a big deal to unbolt one from the main frame and move it down to the ext temporarily. 2 other positives about the ext - gives a handy place to stack/sort lumber as it comes off the mill and also provides a "parking spot" for the carriage when you have finished a cut and need to off-bare or roll the cant.
 I wouldnt own this mill without the extension.

enwinn

Quote from: TroyC on January 21, 2022, 08:41:13 AM
I read a recent post about cutting long beams and such. Got my interest as I am ready to pull the trigger on an extension for my EZ40....
Did you end up getting an extension? I am considering buying an EZ Boardwalk 40 with trailer and 10' extension but I have not located any good photos of how the track bolts together.

Anybody with an EZ40 have some good close-up photos of how the extensions bolt together? Any issues with adding multiple extensions?

beenthere

enwinn
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Have you found an EZ40 to buy? There are several members who have them. 

Let's see if some can answer your question about bolting sections together. 

Check out the Similar Topics below your post (scroll down) and they may lead you to more threads that will help you out. 

Looking forward to hearing more about your sawmill ambitions. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nebraska

It just butts at the end cross members and is held by together by  two  bolts on my Jr . There is about an inch overlap of the rail rods to help it true up. 

TroyC

<br
>

I did end up building the 10' extension, posted it on another thread. The front end of the extension has 4 bolt holes that bolt to the mill frame, the 3/4" track rail does overhang the mill bed by half-3/4" or so. Took about a day or so to fabricate and paint. Ordered an extra clamp from EZ.  Works great, cut some 23" 2x10's and 21' 6x9's. I would have bought the extension but the shipping killed the deal.

I did add a couple solid wheel barrow tires about 3' from the rear end. Put a scissor jack on the front so it easily lines up when bolting together. When the rear is raised to cutting height, the tires come off the ground about 3-4". Unbolt and lower, lift the front of the extension, you can roll it wherever you want.

TroyC

Quote from: enwinn on July 25, 2022, 10:49:59 PMAny issues with adding multiple extensions?

I made mine 10'. You can make it as long as you want or make as many extensions as you want. My tractor is the limiting factor now as it only lifts about 2400 lbs. Turning the cant requires a winch unless you know a few bodybuilders.

I don't plan on cutting a lot of 26' logs. I built the extension because I needed the ability to cut  beams for a sawmill shed.

enwinn

Quote from: beenthere on July 26, 2022, 12:14:09 AM
enwinn
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Have you found an EZ40 to buy? There are several members who have them.

Let's see if some can answer your question about bolting sections together.

Check out the Similar Topics below your post (scroll down) and they may lead you to more threads that will help you out.

Looking forward to hearing more about your sawmill ambitions.
Thanks, I own a little over 14 heavily wooded acres in East Texas with ambitions of building a somewhat unique timber frame with SIPs as a retirement home as well as a barn/workshop and perhaps other odds and ends but I'm still living and working full time in SE Michigan so timing and logistics is a challenge. 

I just completed Big Beams Timber Frame Boot Camp 1-5 Aug, 2022 to help determine if this is realistic and I seem to have convinced myself I'm not crazy. Great class by the way. Highly recommend it.

Currently, the longest timbers in my design are two 8" x 10" x 32' plates so I'm pondering the value of trying for a mill plus extension to handle a one piece timber of this size or using scarf joints on some shorter lengths to get to 32'. Otherwise my next longest timber will be 8" x 10" x 26' - 10 1/2".

I've been researching mills and find the EZ Boardwalk 40 the most appealing for various reasons but so far the only thing I've bought is my land. I'm also researching tractors to both help with log handling as well as ongoing land and homestead maintenance and chores. Leaning toward a 48HP to 57HP TYM, perhaps bigger if I can afford it.

Oddman

Hmm...couple things come to mind. You will need more tractor or another large machine to handle logs and timbers of that size. Also i wonder if you have the logs available to make such large timbers? If you go ahead with the scarf joint on the 32 footer you will still need a log with atleast a 13" diameter at the small end for the 27 footer and it will need to be very straight. When I think of Texas, great timber doesnt come to mind, but I'm probably mistaken, it's a large state.

Deese

This thread caught my eye. I started with the EZ Jr 13hp Honda w/10' extension. Had a lot of fun and many great memories were made with that machine. Wish I still had it. 
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

enwinn

Quote from: Oddman on August 15, 2022, 01:42:23 PM
Hmm...couple things come to mind. You will need more tractor or another large machine to handle logs and timbers of that size. Also i wonder if you have the logs available to make such large timbers? If you go ahead with the scarf joint on the 32 footer you will still need a log with atleast a 13" diameter at the small end for the 27 footer and it will need to be very straight. When I think of Texas, great timber doesnt come to mind, but I'm probably mistaken, it's a large state.
I'm outside of Athens at the western edge of the East Texas Piney Woods. Lots of big SYP but my property is a mix of oak, pine, and cedar as well as a year round good sized creek, so good water availability for the trees. I figure with 14 acres I should be able to manage something for a 1400 sq ft 28x40 timber frame, barn, and sawmill shed. ;D

TroyC

I would go bigger on the tractor to lift a 32' log. The Boardwalk 40 can be extended as far as you can buy metal but wrestling a log that length will not be fun anymore. My 40 with 10' extension will cut a tick over 26'. That's a big log to manually handle.

enwinn

Currently researching scarf joints, tractors, compact wheel loaders, telehandlers, and a few other odds and ends for options to ponder.

I also need to research what the neighbors have and how friendly they are.  smiley_really_happy

Thank You Sponsors!