iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do about waste!

Started by quadracutter222, August 16, 2022, 12:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadracutter222

What to do about waste! Interested to see or hear what you fine folks do.  All my bottom slabs are firewood or re-sawn, shavings get sold or taken for free, wrist sized edgings get bundled and sold or given away.  BUT what about all the bark and slivers and random bits and pieces.  Do you burn it or dump it?

Mainly I am curious if anyone has a value added use, or uses some smart way to collect it, or throw it into a container for dumping.  I am trying hard not to touch something by hand more than once.  For example if I pick up or take a bark sliver off a log, I do not want to throw it on a pile, only to be picked up again by hand.  Most of the waste is managed fairly well, its the bark, odd flair butt slivers and thin stuff that piles up.

Collect it in some sort of container the loader can cart away and burn it?  Throw it right into burn barrels and burn once full (does not work during fire season).  Chipper?  

Ventryjr

I usually toss small pieces into the sawdust mound.   I also keep a burn barrel at the mill for larger chunks.  
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

kelLOGg

I use bark and leaves for eventual plant bedding. 

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Nebraska

I either burn  mine through the wood furnace or compost what I can.

WDH

When I clean out the sawdust/chips that accumulate under the sawmill and edger, I haul off this material in the FEL bucket and pile it.  The bark and small cutoffs flares, etc get thrown on this pile too.  It breaks down over time as good mulch for my garden. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I kinda enjoy milling on somebody else's place let them deal with the waste.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Crossroads

Quote from: Sixacresand on August 16, 2022, 05:24:33 PM
I kinda enjoy milling on somebody else's place let them deal with the waste.  
Definitely the best part of being mobile! 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kantuckid

Termites love me! :D I feed em more some days than others and my "waste" began it's life on the same piece of forest, except I do have some waste areas on steep slopes that don't hold trees well. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!