iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Zealand to tax farmers for cow farts?

Started by gspren, October 12, 2022, 06:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I actually saw this on the news, @Ianab tell me it isn't so!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

21incher

The US also from the last Green Deal details.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ianab

It's been announced, but not coming into effect until 2025. Fair chance of a change in Govt before then as the most obvious effect will be to put up food prices, which are already a sore point with the general public. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

The government officials actually said this was a positive move for the farmers and they will "simply pass the cost along". 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

They've never sold farm goods. They have this idea that little farm markets with prices on the bags is the same as someone producing huge volumes on contract. If you sold potatoes to the public out of your potato shed, you might sell a pallet load of 50 lb bags a year at your price. What do you do with 800 acres worth? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

kantuckid

This kind of reminds me of Kansas in the 1960's when talk of "cow counting" became a reality. Prior to then the PVA's didn't go to an owners fields and count their livestock. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Don P

I've heard this one about annually for the past 20 or so years  ::).
A mouthful of kelp per day in their feed and cows don't fart. Dodged the bullet again  :D

SwampDonkey

Up here in NB we eat it. I don't think it helps. :D They harvest it on Grand Manan Is, dry and salt it and sell it as dulce. One of them niche things. ;D They harvest 500 tons annually I think.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Why not just catch it, store it and run cars on the methane.  We need Green Fart Cars.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Southside

Believe it or not there is a cow methane mask out there.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

I'd hate to be the one fitting a cow with that.

Nebraska

I hope they don't make them prescription....  ::) 

Southside

You watch California will adopt a mandate all beef and dairy sold in the state must use them, just like their pork rules. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

rjwoelk

Up here in Canada the libs are talking the same stupidity.  We will be rid of them in 3 years, hopefully .
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

kantuckid

Quote from: Nebraska on October 13, 2022, 09:21:52 PM
I hope they don't make them prescription....  ::)
AI is known for cow farts?  ;D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

K-Guy

Get a petition started mandating that these same taxes apply to the bull being put out by politicians and see how fast it goes away.  smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Don P

Here's a short article that describes what I remember on seaweed and cows. I'm not sure if that research went anywhere or not, I was hearing about seaweed when Michelle was at State in the early 80's.

Of All Things, Seaweed Could Drastically Reduce Cow Farts and Burps - Modern Farmer

Southside

One has to ask, how much energy / bad gas of the day, is used to harvest, transport, and feed that seaweed. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Whose cows have upset tummies?

Under an entry for "alge" in 1875. I've heard old timers call cress, dulse. The first entry is the only one to mention cows, the rest was just interesting.

Sedgehammer

I've had seaweed myself, once. Not again

With cows and today's total mixed rations, you can almost feed them anything, but it reduces intake if there's enough and they don't like it

As too what Southside mentioned, that'll never be figured in and it's total bs to begin with. Climate has been changing for eons. There's proof it's warmed faster and hotter long before they're were SUVs and dairy farms
Necessity is the engine of drive

Ron Wenrich

Just remember, first the cows, the next will be you.  They'll ban chili, beer and onion rings. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don P

Quote from: Don P on October 17, 2022, 03:47:22 PMWhose cows have upset tummies?

Quote from: Sedgehammer on February 03, 2023, 06:25:59 PMWith cows and today's total mixed rations, you can almost feed them anything, but it reduces intake if there's enough and they don't like it

I dunno, is stuff that hard to figure out :D

Sedgehammer

@Don P actually can be. Small differences are hard to tell due to do many variables. Big changes, sure. We had one of the highest producing herds in the world. I did it for years
Necessity is the engine of drive

Ianab

Quote from: Sedgehammer on February 04, 2023, 04:15:47 PM
Small differences are hard to tell due to do many variables. Big changes, sure. We had one of the highest producing herds in the world. I did it for years
For sure. Also, if a cow is burping excess methane that suggests it's not digesting it's food as efficiently as possible, and is leaving production to waft away. 
Ironically NZ currently has a CO2 shortage  ::) 
The local oil refinery used to produce industrial / food grade CO2 as a byproduct of refining crude, but that's been shut down. The other supplier was the local natural gas field, but they had a breakdown with the processing plant. Then you find out how many commercial operations actually used CO2. Worst hit was the smaller breweries and taverns that need CO2 to produce and serve beer. Ironically brewing beer produces a lot of CO2, but unless you have a very expensive machine to capture it, it just blows away. Large commercial breweries have the equipment to capture and reuse it already, but it's expensive for a small operation. 
https://www.beerandbrewer.com/kiwi-brewery-harnesses-carbon-capture-technology/
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!