iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2023

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2023, 01:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

-23F so far this morning with a -52F below windchill along with that 20 mph wind. Almost 80F inside. ;D A complete haze with blowing snow and maybe even frost in the air.  No doubt lots of wood smoke mixed in. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Well, at 7:00 this morning we had -30°, haven't seen it that cold in quite a few years.

So, I had to go out and do the boiling water vaporization thing, that was cool.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bruno of NH

-20f this morning with a -47f wind chill 
I will feed the black locust to the stove again today. 
Warms up tomorrow and in the 40's next week 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

cutterboy

-15 at 5:00 this morning. Wind was howling all night. I had to start up the oil furnace to help the wood stoves. It's been quite a few years since I've seen temps this cold.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

woodroe

20 below and yeah that wind was close to freight train
stuff at times. 2 stoves going with a reload in the night.
Wind gusted to 127mph up Mt Washington observatory.
Frostquakes "being reported and had one or two here.
Sounds like something hit the house. Hard to describe bit it'll get your attention like what the heck was that.
"The tremors are the result of "cryoseisms", according to the NWS. These are caused when sudden cracks form in frozen water or soil."

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

dgdrls

I hope all are OK and managing this event.
Any updates from our friends down south?

Here in CNY sank to -20°F last night,  we should make it back to
0°F later this morning and keep climbing.

take care folks

D

melezefarmer

This morning, our mini weather station was reading "OF" this morning. I take it the thermometer was trying to tell me "oh fudge". Looking up the the specifications in the user manual, the thermometer stops recording the temperature beyond -40. Environment Canada is warning of wind chills as low as -55 c.

wisconsitom

One of the bands I was in, back in earlier times, we was pulling into Madison for a show and had local radio weather report come on.  "Wind chill" was 90 below zero.

It was most unpleasant when I had to step outside the van on the way home to relieve my bladder.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

moodnacreek

Even I had to start the oil burner last night. Getting soft. That fuel is for sawing lumber!

B.C.C. Lapp

It was 5 degrees below zero this morning.  They say the high for tomorrow is going to be 42 degrees.  Really don't like these crazy temperature swings.  Its hard for the livestock to get aclamented to anything.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

SwampDonkey

Almost noon here and still -12F with 23 mph wind and -42F windchill. Sunshine here in the windows eliminates the wood, it's 80F in here now, I don't want it 90F.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

41° + here...  sorry!   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

woodroe

Despite the frigid temps, my solar water heater started circulating water about 9:30
this morning. It was still -15F outside then and has been running steady since. 
Temp in the collectors is 120 F right now, thats 130* warmer than the ambient outside air. The power of the sun !

Chuck White

Well, now it's noon here and the thermometer finally reads 0°f

Off and on, all through the night I could hear the house foundation expanding and contracting, sometimes it was quite loud!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I had -16 this morning.
Yes, woodroe I heard some noises too.
It's 0° now and the wind!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

QuoteOne of the bands I was in, back in earlier times, we was pulling into Madison for a show and had local radio weather report come on.  "Wind chill" was 90 below zero.

By chance, Christmas weekend around '83 ??

Recall -26° F and 30 mph winds. Don't know what that is on the wind chill charts but don't pay attention to that weather feature. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Government had to bring out the pay loader this afternoon to bust up that hard packed wind driven snow. Plow can't budge it. Wind driven snow in the severe cold is hard enough to walk on.  Still -6F here and wind, but sunny.

thecfarm

We were lucky here with snow. We had a crust and then maybe a couple inches on top of that. That blew across and, on the roads, but that 2 crust did not move.  Tomorrow afternoon almost 30.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

we are at 58° in a T-shirt.  I will enjoy it while we can.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Wind has diminished and -7F.

woodroe

Quote from: thecfarm on February 04, 2023, 03:02:35 PM
We were lucky here with snow. We had a crust and then maybe a couple inches on top of that. That blew across and, on the roads, but that 2 crust did not move.  Tomorrow afternoon almost 30.
Yeah that crust layer was laid bare after the wind last night, shiny again, not good.
One more night of 0* and back to working in the woodyard conditions for next week.

thecfarm

Looks like I am going to bed with a temp of zero. Better than last night!!!!  No wind either. 

beenthere

That's a pretty low temp, and hope you feel better in the morning.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

-5F here and a light wind, can't hear it against the house, but when I opened the front door (south end of the house) it was a little whispie out there. ;D

Chuck White

Well, it's some different than yesterday, at 7:00 this morning we had +30°F, that's a 60° swing from yesterday.

Maybe I'll get out and move a little snow before the new snow and rain get here.

Thank You Sponsors!