iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bolt torques on 346 XP Top End Rebuild

Started by g_man, April 06, 2023, 07:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

Got my parts and starting to reassemble. Can anyone tell me where to find what the torque should be on the 346 XP head bolts, exhaust bolts, and compression release. The 2 carb bolts too if you have them. Thank you very much !

gg

newoodguy78

Spike60

Sorry, but no clue there. In 30 years I never paid attention to bolt torque specs. Just went by feel.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

g_man

Thanks Spike. That's a good answer to me. I just wondered if it was critical for some reason.

gg

Al_Smith

Righty tighty ,lefty loosey .Tight is tight too tight is broken  ;D

g_man

I know a little about that last part  :(  And they are only 5 mm bolts. I'll shoot for tight is tight.

gg

newoodguy78

Glad to hear you decided for the rebuild. You end up getting oem parts or aftermarket?

g_man

Quote from: newoodguy78 on April 08, 2023, 08:02:42 AM
Glad to hear you decided for the rebuild. You end up getting oem parts or aftermarket?
I ordered that kit through Amazon and it turned out they were OEM like Spike60 suspected.
gg

Al_Smith

To cut to the chase torque on a metric grade 10.9 which is about the same as an SAE grade 8 in 5 mm is 9 newton meters or about 79 inch pounds which about 6.6 foot pounds .Clear as mud .----there are charts on the internet for this stuff . ;) 

g_man

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 09, 2023, 06:12:00 AM
To cut to the chase torque on a metric grade 10.9 which is about the same as an SAE grade 8 in 5 mm is 9 newton meters or about 79 inch pounds which about 6.6 foot pounds .Clear as mud .----there are charts on the internet for this stuff . ;)
Very true. But I was worried about stripping the block or cylinder not breaking the bolts.
gg

Al_Smith

Here's another tid bit of threaded fasteners .For threads in steel it takes the diameter of the fastener ,in cast iron about double and aluminum about 4 times of thread engagement to prevent pullout .FWIW I only use a torque wrench for bolted connecting rod caps on old saw .The rest are  "righty tighty " .That stems back decades ago when I failed  to snug up one cap on a Chevy 350 I had rebuilt.However it did run about 3,000 miles before it failed .What a mess that was .Ugh !

g_man

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 09, 2023, 10:29:18 AM
Here's another tid bit of threaded fasteners .For threads in steel it takes the diameter of the fastener ,in cast iron about double and aluminum about 4 times of thread engagement to prevent pullout .FWIW I only use a torque wrench for bolted connecting rod caps on old saw .The rest are  "righty tighty " .That stems back decades ago when I failed  to snug up one cap on a Chevy 350 I had rebuilt.However it did run about 3,000 miles before it failed .What a mess that was .Ugh !
That's good to know - Thank you for that tid bit !
gg

Thank You Sponsors!