iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clutch hub removal tools.

Started by DHansen, May 06, 2023, 09:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Seems like I have to get creative when I remove clutch hubs.  Several I can use a standard socket on the left-handed threads and put rope on top of the piston.  A firm tap with the palm of my hand on the extension and off the clutch spins.  Others I had to grind a socket down to make a three-pronged socket.  Now on the 154SE and 154SG I have been using a 19mm open end wrench or a 19mm crowsfoot.  I was thinking about making a two-pronged socket for this style, but a quick internet search I see the tools are $10.00 - $15.00.  So, to my questions.  How many deferent styles are out there that require special tools?  Can a guy buy 2 to 5 sockets and cover 90% of what is out there?  Is there a way to look up the correct tool part number for the model of saw?  Or should I just make one as I need one.  Tring to avoid damage to any clutches.  

Old Greenhorn

Well a lot of folks will laugh or scoff at me, but I don't have any clutch removal tools. I take a new felling wedge with clean edges and place a corner on the wide end of the wedge into one of the openings on the clutch and give it a sharp RAP with a hammer (in the proper direction!). Most it takes are two good shots and it's loose. It might seem primitive, but it works and it's cheap. No rope, no special anything. Just shock load inertia. Works for me. YMMV.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

lxskllr

The wedge sounds like a decent idea. If you wanted something metal, perhaps you could make a slotted plate that would allow you to move pins around to match the style of clutch you're dealing with.

joe_indi

Whatever is used at the business end, a socket, a 3 prong head, a sprocket cut to shape etc, what really matters is what is at the other end. I have found the best thing to exert pressure, constant pressure is a 2 1/2 foot pipe over the ratchet handle. This prevents slippage of the tool and minimum collateral damage, just apply pressure with one hand while holding the rear handle down. Over the years no stubborn clutch was able to resist this method 

rusticretreater

Some folks use a piece of rope stuffed into the cylinder to make a piston stop, but I have heard of it getting caught in the valve opening.  I just went and bought a bolt with the same threads as the spark plug.  You bring the piston to TDC before you insert the bolt. It will work with just about any saw.

Depending on the clutch I have used a punch, a cheap screwdriver type scraper or a piece of hardwood.  The scraper has been ground to make a off center notch to engage the clutch spoke.  This allows he handle to be held parallel to the clutch instead of at an angle. A quick strike and its loose.  It also works to reinstall the clutch.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

joe_indi

The Indian Rope Trick
( To avoid the rope getting caught in the port)
Remove the spark plug and insert a screwdriver to feel the exhaust port. Move the crankshaft in the direction for unscrewing the clutch ( clockwise) or flywheel nut ( anti clockwise) . Until the piston hits the screwdriver. Remove the screwdriver and insert the rope. I have been using this method after having to open up the engine to extract the broken tip of a Stihl piston stopper and replacing a piston after punching a hole in it by using a metal threaded stopper.
Works for four strokes too. But you need to move the crankshaft in the direction for unscrewing the nut. If it's on the starter rotate in reverse from btdc after the power stroke insert the rope and keep turning in reverse the exhaust valve will close before the piston reaches TDC. If it's the flywheel side insert the rope mid way of the compression stroke and the inlet valve will be a step ahead of the rope to close before TDC. This method i use on the Stihl 4 mix engines and genset engines. 

Al_Smith

I just did this yesterday .A little Partner 49 CC somebody broke the nut head from the clutch spider obviously by  turning the wrong direction with much gusto .like a 4 foot cheater .Used a blunt drift and a 16 oz claw hammer on the spider,spun right off .Cylinder stuffed with a rope of course .

DHansen

I used Old Greenhorn and Al Smith method on a 455 and 154 Saturday.  Both methods worked well.  Used felling wedge on the 455 and just had to hold the wedge down into the groove on the clutch hub so it wouldn't pop up and out.  Thanks for all the replies.  I did make two sockets also.

Thank You Sponsors!