iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

028 Stihl starting issues

Started by Redmt, May 24, 2023, 04:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redmt

Like the title says, I have an 028 thank is a bear to start. It's a few hours out of the shop where they rebuilt the carb and gave it a tune up. It has great compression, and is overall in great condition except for starting. I've tried all the common Stihl procedures, won't start. If you give it a whiff of starting fluid or if it's warmed up it runs great, cuts great. It's just the initial cold start that is the problem. I run VP fuel so it's not a mixture problem, besides once it's running it runs perfectly. My only thought is the saw shop is near sea level and we're at 3200'. That shouldn't make a difference.
Any ideas?
Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

thecfarm

Easy on that start fluid!!!! Don't use it!!!
Get yourself a squint bottle with your mixed gas in it.
What I do with both of my saws, is turn the switch and the choke on.
Pull the rope real easy, slow, about 3 times, maybe only 2, maybe 4, see what works for you.
This pulls some gas into the cylinder, and then give it a quick pull and that should help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Redmt

I'm definitely aware of the harm starting fluid can cause. Too much can cause combustion in the crank case, it washes lubricant off of everything, it can pool up and cause an explosion. I did mention just a whiff to change the air fuel to a more combustible mixture. The fact that it starts instantly and runs perfectly after initial start does lead me to the starting procedure. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens. Out of the 6-8 saws I run regularly they all start differently except the 302 Echo's that all start exactly the same. I have an 041 farm boss, MS 391, MS 390, 028av, MS250 and a 009l and everyone of them has a different secret to starting.

DHansen

Check and make sure choke actually closes the butterfly completely shut so the edge of the butterfly is touching the bore of the carburetor.  Is this saw equipped with a primer?

Redmt

The mechanical aspect of the carb/choke are like the day it was born. No it doesn't have a primer bulb. The thought that it starts instantly with a whiff of fluid says that everything is right at the carb. Air, fuel, compression. Air is a given, fuel has to be in the carb or it wouldn't continue to run, it definitely has compression. Narrowing it all down it has got to be in my start procedure.

DHansen

If it truly is necessary to add fuel on cold start up, there is a lack of fuel issue. Or, lack of compression.  And true an incorrect starting process can also be the cause.  I was just giving ideas on what I would look at.

Redmt

I have been twisting bolts for nearly 60 years. I found long ago that nobody knows everything. All suggestions are definitely welcome! 

Redmt

CFARM, you are the hero of the day. I first explained to the saw that it was about to join some of it's ancestors if it didn't start. Then I gave it 4 full choke slow pulls and then 2 quick ones. It fired right off on the second pull. Thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes threatening a saw works but I'm guessing finding the start procedure works better. 

Thank You Sponsors!