iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Onan 24hp no start

Started by ARKANSAWYER, February 10, 2006, 06:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

I have an Onan 24 hp on the edger (yes, it is orange) and it is after 5 pm so everything is shut down till Monday and I will be on the road.

No spark at the plugs.  New plugs, same thing.   Ohms across the terminals of the coil but nothing from the pickup.   Should it have ohms?  I do not have  a book for the engine.  :P   It may be cheaper to buy a new engine for Wanda and swap engines.
  Any one have to work on theirs for this problem?     ???
ARKANSAWYER

cut2size

Have you checked the condensor?  My lead breaks right at the condensor and sometimes can't be seen until you move the wire.  It has happened several imes
David
cut2size

WH_Conley

When the coil died on my 24, it died all over, would not fire at all, new coil, couldn't let off the key fast enough.
Bill

isassi

Ark; You should read 15,000 to 25,000 ohms across the coil. any less or more it is shorted or burned out. Set your multimeter to the 1000K or whatever is close on your meter and check it. Sounds like you have a bad coil. If the condensor is bad, you will have a weaker spark, but it would run, none the less, but maybe only for a short while. The point of the condensor is to intesify the spark since it is actually a capacitor to store and release a charge of electricty. Hope this helps.

ARKANSAWYER

Swaped condenser off of a 20 and no luck.   Coil measures 16,750 ohms.   I will try the coil off of the 20 tomorrow.   I have had all the snow and cold I can take for one day.
  Really miss not having my edger.   Needed to really crank out some boards today and started working on the edger and only got about 1,000 bdft sawn.  If it would have held out for another month or so I was going to put a 3ph 15hp motor on it.
ARKANSAWYER

Kevin

Ark, do you have one of those low oil sensors on it?

Chris Burchfield

Arky, I feel for you and Wanda. Started raining about noon, ice then snow about 1:00 in the big "M". Sorry, couldn't find anything on the Onan site. Tried Google for "Onan no spark, generator stuff came up but no answer. I've got a load of pecan logs stuck with an afternoon of rain and snow on soft ground. I don't think it'll freeze tonight or I'd be over there after it at day break. If you find something on the net here in Memphis for a replacement, let me know if I can help. Chris.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

D._Frederick

Do you have points or is it an electronic module?

ARKANSAWYER

It has a pick up under the crank behind the flywheel and a little gray sleve on the crank for a sensor.   I did not see a low oil cut out switch but it should be bypassed when starting.   There is an emergency shut off switch but it is working.   I will look a bit more today and may just give up till I switch over to electicity.
  I did find this site but got tired before I found what I needed.

www.perr.com
ARKANSAWYER

KILROY

ARKY,

It is either the coil or the pick up behind the flywheel. It is not the condenser.

Jeff

Arky, if ya replace yer engine, remember to bring the old one to the Pig Roast. Kevin gets preferred parking cause he donated his. I can try to find a place for your tent this year where the dogs dont frequent in exchange for yours. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodnut

If it has points, they could be wet and stuck. I had a motorcycle that wouldn't start because of wet points.  I didn't  think to check them till a friend said to.  My dads woodsplitter wouldn't start because the sparkplug boot was rusty. Sorry if I'm giving ya the easy stuff. Good luck.

ARKANSAWYER

Jeff you can bet that little darling will be on the back of the truck.  ;D

Will look at it this afternoon as it kept snowing yesterday and I did not know how to act.  ::)
ARKANSAWYER

WH_Conley

Hey Arky, whatha want fer the carbautater off it?
Bill

ARKANSAWYER

EGOR LIVES!

I swaped the coil off of the old 20 hp engine I have and the darn thing started and ran then died.   Seems I broke the plastic fuel line working on the engine so I went to Wally world and got a boat fuel line and now Egor is running just fine.  I edged about 500 bdft of lumber and have about that much more to do.  The sun went down and it got cold fast so I came in.

ARKANSAWYER

farmerdoug

I take it that you will be bringing a running engine for Jeff at the pig roast then? ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

ARKANSAWYER

Good chance of that as Egor will have a 3ph 15 hp and will not need the Onan any more.
ARKANSAWYER

D._Frederick

How many hours on that Onan? Is this the edger you bought from Bibby?

I see posts telling that they are getting 5000hrs on the Onan engines.

sparks

A quick way to check the pick-up under the flywheel........ Turn the key on and clip a test light to ground then put the other end on the  positive side of the coil. If it's hot put the test light on the negative side of the coil. Crank the engine and the test light should flash off and on. If it does the pick-up is working. That means its the coil, plug wires or plugs.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

ARKANSAWYER

Oh Great!   I get the darn thing running then Sparks comes to the rescue.   ;)  Good trick though.  I used a LED and a 9 volt battery to test.

Yes, it is the edger I got from Bibby and there is no telling how many hours are on it.  I put about 300 to 400 a year on it and pull it about 2,000 miles.  It was made in '96 and works wonderfull.   It is one of those things you ever wonder how you got along without.   When trimmings get piled up it will clean them up quick.  With a helper it will add about 300 to 500 bdft of production a day.

Never been a real fan of Onan engines.  It is not that they are bad or any thing it is just hard to get parts local for them.  With B&S or Kohler you can get parts even at Walmart here and most of the Auto part stores.  Makes life better out in the woods.
ARKANSAWYER

logwalker

I don't mean to hijack the topic but this is in the same vein so here goes.

I picked up a 24 Onan from the Portland Yard and I have a question about the coil. It was missing the coil when I picked it up so I called a local distributor about buying one. He has two available. They are both for the electronic ignition but one is for the smaller engines and the other is the one his parts manual calls for. Of course the one I need it nearly $40 more than the other. They look the same except the mounting kit is different. Does anyone have experience with this. I say electrically they are identical. Any opinions out there?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ARKANSAWYER

The coil that came off of the 24 had "ears" made on it and it screwed down in the shield around the engine.   The coil that came off of the old 20 had a bracket that clamped around it and the screwed to the shield.   The 24 runs fine with the coil off of the 20.  It just has one bolt holding it down instead of two now.

Most of the time when someone hijacks a topic it is about food.   So what is your take on yellow watermelon?   ;D   We all know grits is good.
ARKANSAWYER

logwalker

Well, I like yellow watermelon a lot. But how about mulberrys? That is one of the most wonderful treats a man can eat. I just discovered a neighbor's tree a couple years ago. How did I get well into my second half century without trying a mulberry?  :-\
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Rockn H

From Arky's description, it sounds like my 24 hp has one of the smaller coils on it too.  I always thought the bracket looked like it didn't quite belong. :)

ARKANSAWYER

Mulberrys are great.   Great Uncle Floyd use to have me pick many a peck of them years ago.  But never saw any mulberry jam in the house.   ???   Seams he was a bit of a bootlegger and made wine from them.  Birds eat them fast and stain every thing around when in season.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!